The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This is what's wrong with Canucks fans. Needless rumors obsessing over players in their personal lives.

Something tells me "out of shape" for a hockey player is still in way better shape than 90% of people out there. I doubt he could have gotten that out of shape in less than a month anyways.

Pot is no worse than going and having a drink in the offseason. There's worse things he could be doing if true.

Yes, yes and yes every one is in poor shape compared to a professional athlete we get that. What's disturbing is ( assuming this is true ??? ) is Virtanen attitude does not strike you as a dedicated professional athlete. Athletes have a short shelf life and they best get it right or the shelf life will be shorter still. How many grey cells does it take to figure this out. That blind side hit he delivered and the 2 game suspension as a rookie ( marked man now )  doesn't bode well for the between the ears category. Here's  a tip  left right left right STOP and think left right left right STOP and think in the mean time here's a tip to Virtanen keep a low profile and take training seriously. Remember what JB in Boston did to Seguin when he turned out to a party animal.

52 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Yes, yes and yes every one is in poor shape compared to a professional athlete we get that. What's disturbing is ( assuming this is true ??? ) is Virtanen attitude does not strike you as a dedicated professional athlete. Athletes have a short shelf life and they best get it right or the shelf life will be shorter still. How many grey cells does it take to figure this out. That blind side hit he delivered and the 2 game suspension as a rookie ( marked man now )  doesn't bode well for the between the ears category. Here's  a tip  left right left right STOP and think left right left right STOP and think in the mean time here's a tip to Virtanen keep a low profile and take training seriously. Remember what JB in Boston did to Seguin when he turned out to a party animal.

Are you seriously gonna lecture jake over what someone's buddys cousins friend said????

Get a grip dude. 

• Upvote 3
56 minutes ago, Seven pounds soft said:

Are you seriously gonna lecture jake over what someone's buddys cousins friend said????

Get a grip dude. 

Well between getting a suspension as an 18 year old rookie and Daniel Sedins comments and then add in some ones cousin etc etc it does kinda look like decision making isn't his strong suit. I hope he gets some good advise from those around him.

11 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well between getting a suspension as an 18 year old rookie and Daniel Sedins comments and then add in some ones cousin etc etc it does kinda look like decision making isn't his strong suit. I hope he gets some good advise from those around him.

He's a 19 year old pro athlete playing in his home town no less, with all the money and fame that includes. If your expecting the kid to be an absolute angel 100% of the time, you're dreaming. Most of them turn out alright soon enough...but they're still going to be kids (with a bunch of money and fame).

We got LUCKY with Horvat, he's not the norm.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He's a 19 year old pro athlete playing in his home town no less, with all the money and fame that includes. If your expecting the kid to be an absolute angel 100% of the time, you're dreaming. Most of them turn out alright soon enough...but they're still going to be kids (with a bunch of money and fame).

We got LUCKY with Horvat, he's not the norm.

Remember how much "character" Cody Hodgson had?

Enough character to demand a trade at age 20 apparently.

Fans that expect these kids to be perfect are ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

( assuming this is true ??? )

There's the other half of the problem. Not only do fans create silly rumors, other fans just assume they're true because so and so said so.

Apparently peoples cousins are considered valid sources on here. Remember that come fee agency people. :lol:

I'm willing to bet that it was just some dude that he thought was Virtanen, and the guys an idiot.

Edited by DeNiro
39 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

What exactly were those comments?

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

There's the other half of the problem. Not only do fans create silly rumors, other fans just assume they're true because so and so said so.

Apparently peoples cousins are considered valid sources on here. Remember that come fee agency people. :lol:

I'm willing to bet that it was just some dude that he thought was Virtanen, and the guys an idiot.

Jesus dude,

is it that hard to believe? I'm just posting what a good buddy of mine told me, and he actually had a conversation with him about getting the fifth pick. I even said that I don't know how much validity there is to the comment about pot. But don't call people you don't know idiots just because you weren't there to see or hear what happened.

• Upvote 2
On 2 May 2016 at 7:24 PM, Fred65 said:

The suspension was over exaggerated by the usual media jackals. 

As for Danny, I have lost a lot of respect for the Twins. Too much yapping to the media and he of all people should know better. If he has something to say then let him say it to the boy. If he did, fine, that should be an end to it, there was no need for any further briefing of the media.

Honestly the Twins seem to have an agenda which is beginning to worry me. 

I hope this coming season they keep all this trash in-house as it is not doing their rep much good, nor is it helping the coach imo.

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

The suspension was over exaggerated by the usual media jackals. 

As for Danny, I have lost a lot of respect for the Twins. Too much yapping to the media and he of all people should know better. If he has something to say then let him say it to the boy. If he did, fine, that should be an end to it, there was no need for any further briefing of the media.

Honestly the Twins seem to have an agenda which is beginning to worry me. 

I hope this coming season they keep all this trash in-house as it is not doing their rep much good, nor is it helping the coach imo.

Well the coach was not too kind on Virtanen either - he talked a few times of him needing to do better on and off the ice.  WD talked of how he was a bit taking things for granted and needed his habits to improve.

He also called the hit late - he didn't think it was intentional but talked about how there needed to be more respect among players.   Trevor Linden was even quoted saying that it's the type of hit that the league wanted to take out of the game. 

Edited by mll
Just now, mll said:

Well the coach was not too kind on Virtanen either - he talked a few times of him needing to do better on and off the ice.  WD talked of how he was taking things for granted and needed his habits to improve.

He also called the hit late - he didn't think it was intentional but talked about how there needed to be more respect among players.   Trevor Linden was even quoted saying that it's the type of hit that the league wanted to take out of the game. 

Well I said at the time he was right to call it a late hit because everyone and his uncle could see it was. 

As for the other stuff I don't agree with the coach calling out any of his players in public although having said that WD did heap a lot of praise on Virtanen AND defended him vehemently after the WJCs

What WD and JB have to realise is just how much of a self destructive media Vancouver has. The less given to them the better imo.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well I said at the time he was right to call it a late hit because everyone and his uncle could see it was. 

As for the other stuff I don't agree with the coach calling out any of his players in public although having said that WD did heap a lot of praise on Virtanen AND defended him vehemently after the WJCs

What WD and JB have to realise is just how much of a self destructive media Vancouver has. The less given to them the better imo.

The sedin's also had a whole lot of praise for the rookies too and did hold a training camp to teach them how professionals work out in the off-season (which they had no obligation to do so).

2 minutes ago, hockeyking said:

The sedin's also had a whole lot of praise for the rookies too and did hold a training camp to teach them how professionals work out in the off-season (which they had no obligation to do so).

Well good on them. 

I think we have now established that mentoring, encouraging, coaching and praising the rookies in public is fine but let us keep the criticism inside the locker room.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

Well good on them. 

I think we have now established that mentoring, encouraging, coaching and praising the rookies in public is fine but let us keep the criticism inside the locker room.

They really never said much criticism, which was  jakes hit was late which it was and again said by the coach and GM, Down played winning games when we were out and put importance of winning games through out the regular season (most likely alluding to next year) and that single quote of how Daniel Sedin expects more of the rookies which might have been accidental as they believe they have allot of potential and skill and if it wasn't so raw the canucks would be in the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

What I would like to know is where is he buying his Jersey Shore shirts he wears?  If Bieksa was still on this team he would shame those right off him....

• Upvote 4
12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As you suggested young 19 year olds have their own interests and priorities. Rumors will follow this kid because he is a easy target. This is another reason why I do not want the Comets moved to Abby. To much attention, to much BS media. 

While we all love to see local kids make it on the Canucks, the downside is that there's some sort of masochistic contrarian subculture here that seems to get off on eating its own... and that includes the local trash media.  They've teed off on Jake for any tidbit they can grasp at ever since the draft, and I just hope that Stecher doesn't get the same treatment if he's not an all-star coming out of training camp.  Perhaps not, considering he wasn't a high-profile draft pick so there's less to tear down.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

While we all love to see local kids make it on the Canucks, the downside is that there's some sort of masochistic contrarian subculture here that seems to get off on eating its own... and that includes the local trash media.  They've teed off on Jake for any tidbit they can grasp at ever since the draft, and I just hope that Stecher doesn't get the same treatment if he's not an all-star coming out of training camp.  Perhaps not, considering he wasn't a high-profile draft pick so there's less to tear down.

Canadians are known for their greed and envy. Have done business in both B.C. and Idaho. I found the Americans far more loyal to their own suppliers and communities. Tough markets to break into. Successful Canadians are often attacked as people who either stole their wealth or garnered it through some loop hole. Celebrating success rarely happens.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic