The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

That's some messed up volleyball they're playing. 

Yea looks like some of those kids either don't know how to play or don't want to.

It's funny to picture Virtanen being the kid in class that's way bigger than the other kids just dominating them.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That endurance often comes with maturity, doesn't it?

As he gets older and learns what it takes to train like a pro he'll be in much better all around shape.

Hopefully he'll learn to spend his energy on the ice more efficiently too.

Holy.. I think we have a Dustin Buyfuglien. Fat during the off-season, get into fit shape during training camp. But damn it looks like he's one fat m'fokka. He's pretty strong looking though. Intimidating. 

BUFFFFFFFFWEDDDDD.jpg

Few years ago pic above, he's the one on the far left. (dustin byfuglien)

But yeah, Virtz is going to be playing at 220-230lbs in a few years. Going to be exciting watching him.

Edited by Odd.

He'll get bigger and cut down by the pre-season. I think Horvat did the same thing last year?

That said, Virtanen playing physical this past season was impressive. Imagine him with an added 10-15 pounds of muscle. Outright scary for the opposition.

3 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

He'll get bigger and cut down by the pre-season. I think Horvat did the same thing last year?

That said, Virtanen playing physical this past season was impressive. Imagine him with an added 10-15 pounds of muscle. Outright scary for the opposition.

He's going to hurt guys. Great playoff guy when we get back there.

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He's even got that fat kid waddle goin on.  Lay off the cheezeburgers there, bud

Yeah he keeps this up he might find himself in Utica before camp even starts. He looked pudgy when the Canucks had that one event during the season where he did the Kareoke thing.

14 hours ago, Odd. said:

Holy.. I think we have a Dustin Buyfuglien. Fat during the off-season, get into fit shape during training camp. But damn it looks like he's one fat m'fokka. He's pretty strong looking though. Intimidating. 

BUFFFFFFFFWEDDDDD.jpg

But yeah, Virtz is going to be playing at 220-230lbs in a few years. Going to be exciting watching him.

You sure?

15 hours ago, Odd. said:

BUFFFFFFFFWEDDDDD.jpg

Clearly in the same ballpark as Byfuglien. :rolleyes:

If Jake ever hits above 260 in an offseason we definitely have a problem, but him to be at a little over his playing weight in the early offseason isn't a big deal.

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yea looks like some of those kids either don't know how to play or don't want to.

It's funny to picture Virtanen being the kid in class that's way bigger than the other kids just dominating them.

They were playing dodgeball.  Virtanen and the Canucks had it posted on Instagram.

8 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

They were playing dodgeball.  Virtanen and the Canucks had it posted on Instagram.

I didn't even realize I wrote volleyball. Lol.

I definitely knew they were playing dodgeball.

Edited by DeNiro

17 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He's even got that fat kid waddle goin on.  Lay off the cheezeburgers there, bud

Do you have any idea how an individual gains mass? You have to eat everything in sight and then work out like a mofo to turn it into muscle.  He is a few months out from his 'cutting' phase. Jake is bulking; clearly he wants to make another step toward being the most intimidating force on the Nucks. If he can play at the speed he does with ANOTHER 10-15 lbs. he might look like a 6th overall draft pick after all. He knows physicality is his only path to success, even his offence depends on his frame and ability to hold guys off/power through to the net.

If he can get even bigger before getting in game shape, we may start to see the emergence of a very special player next year. This ain't no Phil Kessel.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, nergish said:

Do you have any idea how an individual gains mass? You have to eat everything in sight and then work out like a mofo to turn it into muscle.  He is a few months out from his 'cutting' phase. Jake is bulking; clearly he wants to make another step toward being the most intimidating force on the Nucks. If he can play at the speed he does with ANOTHER 10-15 lbs. he might look like a 6th overall draft pick after all. He knows physicality is his only path to success, even his offence depends on his frame and ability to hold guys off/power through to the net.

If he can get even bigger before getting in game shape, we may start to see the emergence of a very special player next year. This ain't no Phil Kessel.

You can also bulk up too much and end up like a slug on the ice, lets see how he comes into camp first. Kessel might be a cookie monster but his shot is 10x what Virtanen has now, along with somehow scoring 30+ goals a year.

7 minutes ago, ice orca said:

You can also bulk up too much and end up like a slug on the ice, lets see how he comes into camp first. Kessel might be a cookie monster but his shot is 10x what Virtanen has now, along with somehow scoring 30+ goals a year.

Thing is, you don't need to be overwhelmingly strong af to be able to shoot. A guy who is 250lbs that's made out of muscle may have a weak shot due to poor shooting form and or unskillful accuracy. But a guy who is 100lbs lighter than 250 could rifle the puck harder and accurately too. It's all about technique and skill. It can also be vice versa too. 

My point is size doesn't mean jack when it comes to shooting. Phil Kessel has one of the best shots in the NHL. Top 5 perhaps. Best shooter in NHL history? Many could claim Ovi to be the best shooter. If OVI was playing in the NHL 20-25 years ago, 60-70 goals easily. 

Anyways, hopefully his bulking up process works out to perfection. If he is bulking that is.

Edited by Odd.

16 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Thing is, you don't need to be overwhelmingly strong af to be able to shoot. A guy who is 250lbs that's made out of muscle may have a weak shot due to poor shooting form and or unskillful accuracy. But a guy who is 100lbs lighter than 250 could rifle the puck harder and accurately too. It's all about technique and skill. It can also be vice versa too. 

My point is size doesn't mean jack when it comes to shooting. Phil Kessel has one of the best shots in the NHL. Top 5 perhaps. Best shooter in NHL history? Many could claim Ovi to be the best shooter. If OVI was playing in the NHL 20-25 years ago, 60-70 goals easily. 

Anyways, hopefully his bulking up process works out to perfection. If he is bulking that is.

Lol, I know that fact very well. I only weigh 155 lbs. and have a heavy, accurate slapshot from shooting for hours every night in my parents' barn growing up. Literally have a better shot than somebody like Chris Tanev, who is close to 200 lbs., half a foot taller, and practices on the ice every day (though his is especially awful, not sure how he ended up with such a pathetic shot considering his other strengths).

Not sure your point though. Kessel definitely has the technique down to a science, he's one of the best snipers in the game... but then you mention Ovi who is 238 lbs.... 

I only brought up Kessel because his 'bulking' typically did not involve burning all those extra calories off in the gym and going hard in the weight room. Jake is a modern athlete, I'm sure he's got a plan for his own body. Because, as everybody has pointed out, he does look BIG in that video. He has absolutely packed on a few, and it is a dangerous game, but you gotta think he knows exactly what he's doing.

Jake is lucky to have a very heavy shot to begin with, a naturally big frame, AND he's now trying to gain weight/strength. He's basing his game after heavy snipers like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk. In my honest opinion, that is the ONLY way he's going to find success in this league. He has skill, most notably his speed and release, but he'll just never have the room he had in the dub unless he gets stronger and can push through guys. Because his game is a very simple one, and if he is the strongest guy on the ice, he's going to be able to do some serious damage in the offensive zone. That's why I was so excited to see him throw the body in his rookie campaign - to me, it wasn't about him dumbing down his game or turning the kid into a grinder (when he's supposed to be a goal scorer), it was about him realizing that he can still play the same game he did in Juniors and have the same offensive success if he can simply be the strongest guy on the puck, every single time. 

• Upvote 1

On May 25, 2016 at 5:59 PM, nergish said:

Lol, I know that fact very well. I only weigh 155 lbs. and have a heavy, accurate slapshot from shooting for hours every night in my parents' barn growing up. Literally have a better shot than somebody like Chris Tanev, who is close to 200 lbs., half a foot taller, and practices on the ice every day (though his is especially awful, not sure how he ended up with such a pathetic shot considering his other strengths).

Not sure your point though. Kessel definitely has the technique down to a science, he's one of the best snipers in the game... but then you mention Ovi who is 238 lbs.... 

I only brought up Kessel because his 'bulking' typically did not involve burning all those extra calories off in the gym and going hard in the weight room. Jake is a modern athlete, I'm sure he's got a plan for his own body. Because, as everybody has pointed out, he does look BIG in that video. He has absolutely packed on a few, and it is a dangerous game, but you gotta think he knows exactly what he's doing.

Jake is lucky to have a very heavy shot to begin with, a naturally big frame, AND he's now trying to gain weight/strength. He's basing his game after heavy snipers like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk. In my honest opinion, that is the ONLY way he's going to find success in this league. He has skill, most notably his speed and release, but he'll just never have the room he had in the dub unless he gets stronger and can push through guys. Because his game is a very simple one, and if he is the strongest guy on the ice, he's going to be able to do some serious damage in the offensive zone. That's why I was so excited to see him throw the body in his rookie campaign - to me, it wasn't about him dumbing down his game or turning the kid into a grinder (when he's supposed to be a goal scorer), it was about him realizing that he can still play the same game he did in Juniors and have the same offensive success if he can simply be the strongest guy on the puck, every single time. 

Pretty positive Tanev has a better shot than you, no need to pump your tires there farm boy. 

• Upvote 2