The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 minutes ago, thad said:

Have any of you guys met the kid? I got an autograph from him after practice at training camp in PG. He's just a ridiculously thick dude. That was the one thing I noticed about him. I didn't realize how big he really was until I saw him in person. Real thick neck and his arms looked like they were gonna burst through his jacket. I think any success he has in the NHL is going to be centered around his conditioning and hopefully it won't be a problem. The kid has a chance to be one of the most beloved franchise players his hometown has ever had if he hits the gym like a mad man. I'm talkin sedin like conditioning and he'll be a feared player in this league with that magnificent frame of his. 

I really cant see him needing to bulk up. He's already huge. What he needs is the best personal trainer money can buy. Not because he's slamming cheeseburgers and overweight. He's probably in pretty good shape for a big boy. He needs a guy to break him and push him to his peak physical condition so he can lead the league in hits, score 30-40 goals a year and scrap Darnel Nurse on the regular. 

If if we want to win the cup with this next core that 6th overall can't go to waste. I don't want a pretty good Jake Virtanen, I want a dominant Jake Virtanen. If he really wants it, it's there for him. He just has to put in the work and he couldn't have better mentors than Hank and Danny. Do what they do and the sky's the limit, Jake.

I agree 100%.  

Is there any better (modern) training than MMA for all around fitness, strength, and fighting techniques?  I would love for Lucic to come here, so he could mentor Jake on how a top line power forward needs to prepare.  How about a lean mean tattooed Jake, who is always on the edge of going absolutely psycho, and shredding a guy?  That's hard to do, when you are so young (19) and inexperienced.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Meh, I can probably shoot harder than Hank.  Like he said, it's technique.  

I find it so silly and unnecessary when posters or whomever I talk to bring up glory days about how good they used to be or how good of a "shot" they may have as apart of a conversation about Hockey. Were talking about the Canuck's here not you. Save those stories for your grand kids. Im not a fan of people who get off tooting their own horn.

But yes shot is most definitely all technique, however if you do have a few extra pounds its not gunna hurt the power or velocity of your shot by any means assuming you dont have a muffin for a shot to start with. Jake has a really good shot, not great yet. I still think he needs to work on his accuracy, and trying to shoot from better areas on the ice.

7 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Pretty positive Tanev has a better shot than you, no need to pump your tires there farm boy. 

Have you seen Tanman's shot? 

Bantam rep players shoot harder, that's not an exaggeration. It's his one glaring weakness, yet since his IQ is so high, he still scores occasionally (and in relatively big moments).

Not really pumping my tires, but I can score bar-down from the blueline. Not even sure Tanman can get it off the ice.

Jake's is extremely heavy btw. He will score on some insane slappers in his career.

56 minutes ago, nergish said:

Bantam rep players shoot harder, that's not an exaggeration. It's his one glaring weakness, yet since his IQ is so high, he still scores occasionally (and in relatively big moments).

Not really pumping my tires, but I can score bar-down from the blueline. Not even sure Tanman can get it off the ice.

Jake's is extremely heavy btw. He will score on some insane slappers in his career.

"Not to pump my tires, but I'm going to pump my tires now." :lol:

1 hour ago, nergish said:

Do you guys play using goalies?  :lol:

and Jake is a big guy.  It's okay for him to be heavy.  He will lean out as he matures.

55 minutes ago, Mrbigyellowbus said:

"Not to pump my tires, but I'm going to pump my tires now." :lol:

Do any of you play? Because literally any player that plays organized hockey at any level should be able to hit the crossbar from the point. It's not a feat by any means. Tanev's shot is just very very weak - are you saying you haven't noticed this? I haven't personally seen a worse shot at the NHL level in 25 years of watching.

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you guys play using goalies?  :lol:

and Jake is a big guy.  It's okay for him to be heavy.  He will lean out as he matures.

Actually, I was the goalie. I simply loved shooting pucks when I had nothing better to do and would practice for hours every single day at home...

11 minutes ago, nergish said:

Do any of you play? Because literally any player that plays organized hockey at any level should be able to hit the crossbar from the point. It's not a feat by any means. Tanev's shot is just very very weak - are you saying you haven't noticed this? I haven't personally seen a worse shot at the NHL level in 25 years of watching.

Actually, I was the goalie. I simply loved shooting pucks when I had nothing better to do and would practice for hours every single day at home...

It always amazes me to see how the younger generation of goalies can shot the puck with those sticks.  There was a goalie for the Canucks back in the 70's, Gary Smith, he would literally punt the puck down the ice.  Goalies were mostly told to not handle the puck.  Now, guys like yourself, can flick it from centre and hit the crossbar- to an old timer that's bloody amazing.

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It always amazes me to see how the younger generation of goalies can shot the puck with those sticks.  There was a goalie for the Canucks back in the 70's, Gary Smith, he would literally punt the puck down the ice.  Goalies were mostly told to not handle the puck.  Now, guys like yourself, can flick it from centre and hit the crossbar- to an old timer that's bloody amazing.

Lol, well I was actually talking about shooting as a player. But yeah, I loved playing the puck as a goalie too...  Tougher to practice that way though.

though, I mean Marty Brodeur was launching the puck down the ice 20 years ago...

1 hour ago, nergish said:

I think anyone watching the games would agree that Tanev has a very weak NHL caliber shot. Tanev and Dennis Kearns are the two players that have probably had the worst point shots in team history............both very good players though.

7 hours ago, nergish said:

No offense, but I'm sure the "last time you scored" you had to pay for it, and probably gave her a toonie to buy dentures 

"Thanks gramma, you still want bath day this Thursday?"

3 minutes ago, StraightFlush said:

No offense, but I'm sure the "last time you scored" you had to pay for it, and probably gave her a toonie to buy dentures 

"Thanks gramma, you still want bath day this Thursday?"

Lol wtf are you on about bro?

one poster mentioned that height and weight don't guarantee a player to have a good slapshot, suggesting that form/technique is of greater importance. I merely suggested that in my own experience, practicing every single day (literally thousands of hours) has led me to have a pretty nice slapper despite not being a particularly heavy guy. I only got to bust it out on the ice a handful of times, though, as I was actually a goaltender. 

I still hammer pucks to relieve stress. I'd recommend it.

But I used Tanev as an example because he's not a small guy by any means yet has a dinky shot.

but seriously "no offense"? 

I post on this board with all you other nerds, but I definitely get my share...

Luckily my gf at least pretends to be interested in hockey.

I'll tell you who DOES have a harder slapshot than me or anyone else on CDC, though - Jake Virtanen.

45 minutes ago, nergish said:

Lol wtf are you on about bro?

one poster mentioned that height and weight don't guarantee a player to have a good slapshot, suggesting that form/technique is of greater importance. I merely suggested that in my own experience, practicing every single day (literally thousands of hours) has led me to have a pretty nice slapper despite not being a particularly heavy guy. I only got to bust it out on the ice a handful of times, though, as I was actually a goaltender. 

I still hammer pucks to relieve stress. I'd recommend it.

But I used Tanev as an example because he's not a small guy by any means yet has a dinky shot.

but seriously "no offense"? 

I post on this board with all you other nerds, but I definitely get my share...

Luckily my gf at least pretends to be interested in hockey.

I'll tell you who DOES have a harder slapshot than me or anyone else on CDC, though - Jake Virtanen.

Just trying to give you a little perspective. Shhhhheeeeit, I was hart, Ross, and lady byng player once....yet no one but me remembers that.

...and then I had to restart cause my "live the life" player in nhl 15 retired. 

*yes it was on rookie mode, you got me* 

but I spent hundreds of hours doing it?

Edited by StraightFlush

9 hours ago, nergish said:

I think his wrister is actually harder than his slapshot.

On February 19, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Gstank29 said:

Please worry about this in another thread.

Not sure why this is linking me to Gstank's post, but I meant to add to the conversation that I've never actually seen one of Jake's slappers. 

His wrist shot is heavy, though. With some accuracy and a better sense of timing, he'll be a reliable force for the Nucks.

• Upvote 1