The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

28 minutes ago, hyper00 said:

May not be his game, but there's no reason not to improve as a top NHL defenseman

i read an article last week, that he hired someone to help him improve his shot over the summer.

Edited by TNucks1
  • Upvote 3

On 5/30/2016 at 0:05 AM, Outsiders said:

Hoping Virtanen can show us all why he belongs in the NHL this year. 15G and 15A for 30 points is kinda what I'm expecting from Jake. Hopefully he can find his offensive game a little more this year. 

If he plays a full season, not being the healthy scratch as much or at all, I would agree that he could achieve 15-20 goals.

If he goes to Utica, I would like to see 30.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

things weren't looking too good for him, after the WJC,but he was totally different player when he came back. All thanks in part of our leadership group.

I did see some glimpse of a solid NHL player that, might not necessary be the highest scoring player at the time of draft, he's the type of player that will force other teams dman to "look" over their shoulders type of guy, hang onto the puck one second too long Virtanen will flatten ya.   

Very important part of our team.  I really hope Benning make the right choice, when we selected him. We have a 20 goal 20 assist guy who averages out 5 hits per game type of guy on our end.  Will be effective come playoff time.

I want him to continue to learn the physical side of the game next year. He should learn when and how to use his strength and power to flatten guys. It's a learning process that will take some time. Once he establishes that, the scoring will come as he will have more space to burn defenders like he did in Junior. 

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Exactly

Do we have a center, other than Hank, who has that talent?  Or is that supposed to be Dubois?  Or would Jost be a better fit for us?  Jost sure has that natural center skill.

Personally I was quite disappointed by what I saw in him this year, and also by stories I've heard about him off the ice.  He looks very far from what I would have expected someone drafted sixth overall should look.  For next year, I hope he shows a greater willingness to work hard, and hopefully some offensive flash.  He's got a long way to go before he proves he belongs in the NHL.

Really looking to see a hungry player on the ice this year.  Last year was a bit of a gimme for both Virts and McCann.  They were not ready for the bigs, but too young for the AHL.  Wonder if this gave them a little entitlement that may have rubbed others the wrong way?

I think the plan was to only keep Virts up, as he wasn't getting the development the Canucks wanted with the Hitman.  Plus, he could cut corners in junior because of his man child frame.  

McCann just played his way on the roster with skill, but lacked the strength to endure the season.  But he forced JB's hand, and soon after he made the team keep him, he really tailed off.  

Virts needs to spend some time in Utica.  He needs to get that hunger and realize that he needs play hungry to stay up.  Being able to be sent up and down to Utica may do wonders for Jakes development.  

If he can learn to sustain the intesnity that we saw glimpses of last year, we will have one heck of a player.  

Virtanen is one of the biggest wild card for our roster next year. He's going to have to have a great camp and preseason to stick in the NHL this year. I expect he will play in both the NHL and Utica from time to time.

• Upvote 2

I hope he gets a good look in camp. I'd like to see him used a tad more offensively. Like if the PP struggles, like it does sometimes, I'd like to see him get a couple looks. And use him 3 on 3 dammit. Stick him with Sutter to cover up any young blood errors. He's too quick and powerful not to be used 3 on 3 in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do we have a center, other than Hank, who has that talent?  Or is that supposed to be Dubois?  Or would Jost be a better fit for us?  Jost sure has that natural center skill.

Well Vey is likely to be re-signed, especially with the loss of McCann. Vey, Gaunce, Zalewski, Cassels, Friesen, as if we don't have a good centre for Utica. Get real.

Those people you mentioned aren't playing in Utica next year. If Gaunce & Shinkaruk could both approach the 30 goal mark, there is a pretty good chance that Virtanen could come close too. You guys are too pessimistic for my liking.