The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

IMO JV should start the season in Utica.  He should have been there last year but he wasn't 20 so the Canucks couldn't  send him down, and going back to Jr. really not an option, so they kept him.  He really needs to learn the pro game and play a lot.  He did show some flashes of why he was a #6 pick overall in 2014.  In general he was inconsistent and at times - undisciplined.  After a month or two in Utica and providing he is playing well then bring him back.  He should be a better player and know what it takes to be an NHL player.

i like that he keeps referencing the sedins.

their professionalism is going to create career-long impressions on these young guys. the guys that take it to heart and model it are going to see it pay massive dividends...maybe as early as this season!

• Upvote 1

So my buddies beer league team was playing against a team with a ringer yesterday...  Turns out Jake Virtanen had a friend on the other team and came out to play.

My bud said he shut him down 2 of 3 rushes on his side lol, but if there was contact theyd all be fukt, haha.

"Pretty classy move if ya ask me."

virtanen.htm

5 minutes ago, 70seven said:

So my buddies beer league team was playing against a team with a ringer yesterday...  Turns out Jake Virtanen had a friend on the other team and came out to play.

My bud said he shut him down 2 of 3 rushes on his side lol, but if there was contact theyd all be fukt, haha.

"Pretty classy move if ya ask me."

virtanen.htm

That's not good news if he's getting shut down in beer leagues. 

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

The guy said Jake went easy on them and if there was contact nobody would be standing.

You don't really initiate contact when you have the puck. I'm sure he was just playing around anyways. Let's hope.

If Jake had decided to blow somebody up and hurt them in a beer league game,  it would be front page news and have the CDC masses once again questioning his maturity and his selection at 6th overall.

Pro's that play in beer league games are always in a no-win situation. They can't touch anyone yet there's always that one guy on the other team that either want's to show everyone his dream of an NHL career is not dead or that want's to prove his toughness.

• Upvote 2

Jake Virtanen will make the team. There's almost no doubt in my mind. He just simply is not bad enough not to make the team. Willie goes by, if you are good enough and perform good enough, he will reward you with a spot. Jake will be good enough. I know a lot of people say, regardless send him down, but I don't think that is how Willie, Linden and Benning want the organization run for the young guys in the back. You come to camp, and you impress, and you beat out another player, then you get the spot. Period. Seemed evident when we let Corrado go for Hutton, or Vey back to the minors for McCann.

But I feel he is going to come back locked and loaded and ready to be a middle 6 force. I'm pumped for some Virtanen

Edited by TheLiveWire
  • Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:54 PM, vancan2233 said:

sLike a lot of people have stated JV needs to show in training camp that he has done enough in the off season and has the drive to stay on the roster. He needs to be a standout in preseason games.

He doesn't necessarily have to be a stand out. He has to be a presence night in and night out. He has to do the little things consistently and he has to do it on and off the ice. If he doesn't do those things he goes to the AHL till he does. I think its that simple. The kid has an NHL game from a skill and strength stand point. Its the mental and physical preparation as a pro he has to prove in order to stay

Edited by two drink minimum
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TheLiveWire said:

Jake Virtanen will make the team. There's almost no doubt in my mind. He just simply is not bad enough not to make the team. Willie goes by, if you are good enough and perform good enough, he will reward you with a spot. Jake will be good enough. I know a lot of people say, regardless send him down, but I don't think that is how Willie, Linden and Benning want the organization run for the young guys in the back. You come to camp, and you impress, and you beat out another player, then you get the spot. Period. Seemed evident when we let Corrado go for Hutton, or Vey back to the minors for McCann.

But I feel he is going to come back locked and loaded and ready to be a middle 6 force. I'm pumped for some Virtanen

3rd line grinder like raffi torres. that is what the canucks are missing. if he can play like that, i would be happy.:)

let his scoring ability come naturally and work his way up the line-up.

Jake needs to calm his game down and simplify things. Too many times I've watched him go out of his way looking to initiate contact, taking himself out of the play instead reading the play, creating space for line-mates and going to the net.

He doesn't need to prove he can hit, everyone already knows that. He just has to be smarter about it.

• Upvote 1

He has to focus on his game from the red line in..not panic and shield the puck more and look for his shot/pass options.

Last year he seemed to  concentrate more on where he would be making physical contact (too busy trying to send a message with a hit ). Going out of his way to hit got him out of position offensively. I'd like to see him be more confident with the puck in traffic,I think he's hurrying his options.His hits will come but focus on how to be more creative with his speed.

So he's finished developing at age 20 then? If he's still a 3rd liner in another 3 years, when the rest of the older players have moved along, then maybe you can look at his draft position and get upset about the pick. Even then if he's on an effective 3rd line on a fast, hard checking and balanced team that rolls 4 lines and puts up points, then who really cares?

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

So he's finished developing at age 20 then? If he's still a 3rd liner in another 3 years, when the rest of the older players have moved along, then maybe you can look at his draft position and get upset about the pick. Even then if he's on an effective 3rd line on a fast, hard checking and balanced team that rolls 4 lines and puts up points, then who really cares?

IF that happens I would care. When youre drafting top 10 you aim for a highly skilled game breaking player. Something that isn't often acquired withoutgiving up assets in a trade. There's a boat load of the player you describe available in the NHL. You can basically get then for free. 

• Upvote 2