Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


avelanch
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Toews said:

I am not referring just to Nylander and Ehlers but the way other players in the same draft year have progressed.

 

I always see this being said every time there is a discussion about Virtanen, "It's too early". It was the same thing said about Kassian as well. I don't think it's ever too early to evaluate progress. You look at the progress that Demko and Boeser have made and anything that Jake has done pales in comparison. If I had to rank the youngsters in terms of value moving forward, I would have Jake behind the above names as well as Bo, Juolevi and Hutton. The only one he would be above is Baertschi. 

What progress are we talking about?

 

Jake Virtanen made the NHL at 19.  If his problems are the same as "Kassian's" it has not surfaced. And making the NHL at 19 is an accomplishment.

 

One that suggests he is very capable of being an impact player. More so than a washout. Although admittedly that is also a possibility. Yeah he may have stuff to learn? I won't panic if at 20 he gets sent to Utica to ingest some reality.

 

Let it play out...

 

I'd still bet on him!

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Welcome back from your sabatacle at the cat rescue.

 

Jake is so young and so raw. It would be wrong to put a limit on his growth. If you can remember Burrows or Keslers 1st season you should know not to say checking 3rd liner that hits and doesn't score.

 

In 3-4 years we could very well have the type of power forward that few teams have. There is another thread where someone was bemoaning that players like Yzerman and Sakic never wanted to come back home and play due to the fishbowl. Look what the local newspaper did to an 18 year old after the Jrs? Probably a good call by a couple of HOF players.

I do believe Scotty Bowman said the best trade he ever made was one he didn't make.  He had arranged to trade Yzerman, but it collapsed.  Some players take time to find their game at the NHL level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Virtanen will be much better this year, not that he was terrible last year, the thjng to remember is that he is just a kid who is not Gretzke, or Lemeux, or McDavid, most young guys like Virtanen take a few years to gain the experience, so i am not to sure why after one season a 19 year old kid is getting tossed under the bus, Jake is big, fast, and skilled, the best is yet to come. So lets be patient and watchhim prove all the nay sayers wrong.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guess some things never change, like CDC putting outrageous expectations on a 19 year old and sharpening their pitchforks ready in the case that he doesn't dominate the pros as a 20 year old next year. Settle down, he's a teenager making millions of dollars playing for his hometown team which he grew up idealizing btw. Even if he goes to Utica next year, if he can put up 0.4-0.5ppg you all should be happy. I wouldn't mind giving him 2 years in Utica before bringing him slowly back up to the NHL. He'll be worth it. He's never going to be an offensive dynamo. Just accept it and move on. He's going to be a player that compliments his line with his speed and size and ability to create room. He'll make his line better that way. Like Kreider. Everyone is wishing we would trade for him, but he's not an offensive juggernaut either. He's the beneficiary. If Virtanen can produce 50 points in his prime he's a helluva a draft pick. By the way, in case y'all didn't know, his prime years are his mid 20s to early 30s. Which means he's about 5 years away so aim your anger and frustration elsewhere instead of contributing to the negativity that follows all these prospects everywhere. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

The more I look back at Bertuzzi's progressing in the NHL, I see Virtanen's progressing in a similar trajectory.

 

I really liken his tool kit to a young Iginla's. Iggy was known for plowing down the wing with speed and strength and being able to roof one home. Most of Jakes junior highlights were of this variety.

 

Bert was great at protecting the puck and could get in close and had much softer hands. 

 

Either way, right now Jake is the hardest hitting teenager I have seen, he makes the boards rumble with his hits. Hopefully he can find his own niche offensively. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I do believe Scotty Bowman said the best trade he ever made was one he didn't make.  He had arranged to trade Yzerman, but it collapsed.  Some players take time to find their game at the NHL level.

Yzerman was over a point per game in his first season...

 

But yes, players develop at different rates. The hope would be for a top pick to develop quickly, but we only have to look at the Sedins for an example of top draft picks who took a little bit of time to develop but still became elite players. I think we're still very much in the "wait and see" category with Jake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Virtanen is one of the biggest hitters I ever have seen at this age. If he progresses well he has a high ceiling as a disruptive player who puts up 20+ goals a season. Going to Utica may be the best way for him to reach that potential, and that's fine. His first NHL season was a mixed bag, but most rookies make rookie mistakes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bleedblue2017 said:

Virtanen will be much better this year, not that he was terrible last year, the thjng to remember is that he is just a kid who is not Gretzke, or Lemeux, or McDavid, most young guys like Virtanen take a few years to gain the experience, so i am not to sure why after one season a 19 year old kid is getting tossed under the bus, Jake is big, fast, and skilled, the best is yet to come. So lets be patient and watchhim prove all the nay sayers wrong.

You couldn't even bother to look up how to spell two of the greatest NHL players?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

Virtanen is one of the biggest hitters I ever have seen at this age. If he progresses well he has a high ceiling as a disruptive player who puts up 20+ goals a season. Going to Utica may be the best way for him to reach that potential, and that's fine. His first NHL season was a mixed bag, but most rookies make rookie mistakes. 

virthit.gif?w=478&h=265

 

Can watch this all day.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rocky Balboa said:

virthit.gif?w=478&h=265

 

Can watch this all day.

Where Virtanen starts the season will depend on coaching and Benning who have the best read on his development. I trust in Benning. I can remember few games last year where Virtanen did not stand out during his TOI. His physical play without doubt makes him standout but I admired his puck possession and ability to throw a pass. Most of those passes were not converted but that had as much to do with his line mates as Virtanen. Time in Utica might teach him how to pace his physical play and his pro puck possession.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rocky Balboa said:

virthit.gif?w=478&h=265

 

Can watch this all day.

Did Bieksa accidentally kick Virtanen with his skates? 

 

 

edit: Realized Bieksa was waiting for a change but as he was putting his leg back in it hit Virtanen unintentionally

 

 

Edited by Odd.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2016 at 0:00 AM, Salacious Crumb said:

Welcome back from your sabatacle at the cat rescue.

 

Jake is so young and so raw. It would be wrong to put a limit on his growth. If you can remember Burrows or Keslers 1st season you should know not to say checking 3rd liner that hits and doesn't score.

 

In 3-4 years we could very well have the type of power forward that few teams have. There is another thread where someone was bemoaning that players like Yzerman and Sakic never wanted to come back home and play due to the fishbowl. Look what the local newspaper did to an 18 year old after the Jrs? Probably a good call by a couple of HOF players.

Boom, this. I sure as hell didn't expect either player to progress the way they did. I think young canucks are going to surprise a lot of people.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2016 at 9:36 AM, Odd. said:

Did Bieksa accidentally kick Virtanen with his skates? 

 

 

edit: Realized Bieksa was waiting for a change but as he was putting his leg back in it hit Virtanen unintentionally

 

 

By Bieksa do you mean Kesler?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

By Bieksa do you mean Kesler?

No

 

look at the guy on the bench (bieksa), he lifts his skate and it seems like it hit Virtanen somewhere around the upper body hence why he was holding it after the hit. 

 

then again, it might just be that he hurt his hand on the hit. I don't know.

Edited by Odd.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah WTF bieksa kicks him in the arm thats why virtnanen grabs it afterwards. Dirty move by bieksa but you could argue it was probably instinctual because he didn't want to trap his leg in between the boards.

edit* i dont know which arm hes holding actually

Edited by Oliewud
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

No

 

look at the guy on the bench (bieksa), he lifts his skate and it seems like it hit Virtanen somewhere around the upper body hence why he was holding it after the hit. 

 

then again, it might just be that he hurt his hand on the hit. I don't know.

 

Come on now, Juice is not a dirty player, and sure as heck would not stick his skate out to hit Jake. Juice does not even touch him, Jake was hurt on the hit on Kes. Maybe if it was Marchand or Cooke you would have a point but heck no to Juice doing that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

 

Come on now, Juice is not a dirty player, and sure as heck would not stick his skate out to hit Jake. Juice does not even touch him, Jake was hurt on the hit on Kes. Maybe if it was Marchand or Cooke you would have a point but heck no to Juice doing that.

Watch again his skate does hit Jake in the side of the face. 100%

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • b3. unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...