The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Our team depth was so poor last year (we still need a scoring winger) it was a push to either have him here training with pro's or back to the minors.I think he learned a lot first hand up here..game speed, size differential from junior and strategy/coaching. Let's hope he's learned enough to come back ready to step it up to the next level. (Him Baer Etem Granlund all have to be ready to play a pro style- not the deer in the head lights rookie style) That's 4 of our young forwards that have to score. Add in the rookie checkers on our 4th line...goals might still be hard to come by after the first line.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Our team depth was so poor last year (we still need a scoring winger) it was a push to either have him here training with pro's or back to the minors.I think he learned a lot first hand up here..game speed, size differential from junior and strategy/coaching. Let's hope he's learned enough to come back ready to step it up to the next level. (Him Baer Etem Granlund all have to be ready to play a pro style- not the deer in the head lights rookie style) That's 4 of our young forwards that have to score. Add in the rookie checkers on our 4th line...goals might still be hard to come by after the first line.

When I look at the season I separate Virtanen away from your list. Baer, Etem and Granland are at a age where they have to show they can be consistent in the NHL. I would add Horvat to your list in that group even tho he is only entering his 3rd season. Virtanen, Gaunce, Tryamkin and Pedan have to show they have enough potential to start getting more games.

What about Hutton? I just smile a lot.

Baer Etem and Granlund are no Horvat or Hutton (they wished they were that pro). Gaunce and Pedan have been proving themselves in Utica and deserve a chance with the big club.. and if Etem, Baer and Granlund have bad years they're next in line to go help Utica and learn from Coach Green.

Tryamkin is beast.

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't understand what you are saying.

Baer was playing great before his injury and Etem while not getting the points until near the end of the season never appeared to me, at any rate, to be comparable with "a deer in the headlights". Far from it.

Jake was a bit tentative up to the WJC BUT was very good after the WJC and didn't look out of place to me.

Granlund floated too much for me and he certainly has his work cut out imo.

We are putting too much importance on these players performances in a team that was basically gut-shot from day one with injuries to key players. I was impressed by how they found their feet so early in the face of so much adversity. For me that shows character.

53 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Baer Etem and Granlund are no Horvat or Hutton (they wished they were that pro). Gaunce and Pedan have been proving themselves in Utica and deserve a chance with the big club.. and if Etem, Baer and Granlund have bad years they're next in line to go help Utica and learn from Coach Green.

Tryamkin is beast.

Baertschi?  WD has not stopped complimenting him in March - even after the Winnipeg game where he criticised the whole team for their play (he bag skated them the next day) - he was the only one that got praised.  WD went out of his way several times to insist how well he was playing and talked of how he brought his game to another level.

Edited by mll

16 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin is beast.

Agree with your take. Tryamkin is a work in progress and I will be happy if he makes the lineup and sticks. IMO the confidence by fans to date is a combo of his size and his KHL career which suggests that he can make the jump to the NHL quickly. That jump is more difficult than is given credit for. Larson has the same challenge but he at least has played significant NHL games and should have a clear idea of what faces him.

• Upvote 2

On 7/23/2016 at 4:41 PM, mll said:

Baertschi?  WD has not stopped complimenting him in March - even after the Winnipeg game where he criticised the whole team for their play (he bag skated them the next day) - he was the only one that got praised.  WD went out of his way several times to insist how well he was playing and talked of how he brought his game to another level.

Yeah lol. He was easily one of the best things about last year. I'm not worried about him at all, but we still need to get another quality left winger so we can support him. I think Virtanen sticks as a right winger, and would play well with either Horvat or Baer (together or separately). Although it might be wise to send him to the minors, I think he's determined to take another step next year.

Was going through some old draft rankings and came across this. So much hype after that last sentence. I'm hoping that now that the rookie year is done, he comes into the league knowing what to expect and has a break out sophomore year.

This season can't start soon enough.

7. Jake Virtanen

Jake Virtanen

2013-14 Team: Calgary League: WHL
Position: Left Wing Height: 6'0"
DOB: Aug. 17, 1996 Weight: 213 lbs.
2013-14 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/-
Calgary 71 45 26 71 +23
TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button:
Great skater with a great shot and when he bears in on defenders, they are on their heels. Has an edge to his game. He could be that grand slam player with enormous upside that teams are looking to draft.
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

Was going through some old draft rankings and came across this. So much hype after that last sentence. I'm hoping that now that the rookie year is done, he comes into the league knowing what to expect and has a break out sophomore year.

This season can't start soon enough.

7. Jake Virtanen

Jake Virtanen

2013-14 Team: Calgary League: WHL
Position: Left Wing Height: 6'0"
DOB: Aug. 17, 1996 Weight: 213 lbs.
2013-14 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/-
Calgary 71 45 26 71 +23
TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button:
Great skater with a great shot and when he bears in on defenders, they are on their heels. Has an edge to his game. He could be that grand slam player with enormous upside that teams are looking to draft.

I said before we already saw how JV can dominate games.  He was the dominant player on our team almost every game for 20 games.  He will dominate for longer chunks of games as he matures.  He's a beauty.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I said before we already saw how JV can dominate games.  He was the dominant player on our team almost every game for 20 games.  He will dominate for longer chunks of games as he matures.  He's a beauty.

I must have missed about 19 of those games...

• Upvote 4

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2011-12 Calgary Hitmen WHL 9 3 1 4 4 3 5 0 0 0 4
2012-13 Calgary Hitmen WHL 62 16 18 34 67 25 15 2 4 6 27
2013-14 Calgary Hitmen WHL 71 45 26 71 100 23 6 1 3 4 4
2014-15 Calgary Hitmen WHL 50 21 31 52 82 15 14 5 8 13 28
2014-15 Utica Comets AHL -- -- -- -- -- -- 10 0 1 1 6
2015-16 Vancouver Canucks NHL 55 7 6 13 45 -7 -- -- -- -- -

Jake Virtanen, Age 19 Vancouver Canucks first season.

Cam Neely, Wide open 80's era. 

Regular Season Playoffs
1982-83 Portland Winter Hawks WHL 72 56 64 120 130   14 9 11 20 17
1983-84 Portland Winter Hawks WHL 19 8 18 26 29   -- -- -- -- --
1983-84 Vancouver Canucks NHL 56 16 15 31 57 0 4 2 0 2 2
1984-85 Vancouver Canucks NHL 72 21 18 39 137 -26 -- -- -- -- --
1985-86 Vancouver Canucks NHL 73 14 20 34 126 -30 3 0 0 0 6

So Jake played 1 game less, got almost 1/2 Neely's points, and arguably better defensively. Not bad for a rookie. So maybe folks should give Virtanen the same kind of slack they gave Kassian? 

• Upvote 1

Virtanen will probably start out on the 3rd or 4th line depending on how well Rodin, Etem, Burrows, Dorsett etc. play. I don't see Virtanen out-playing Baertschi or Hansen to start the season, but who knows, by seasons end he may get some time in the top-6.

That being said I'd be happy if he hits 10-15 goals as a 3rd-4th liner and then takes the big step up into our top-6 the following year. He has to become a top-6 if not top-3 winger eventually but next year may not be it just yet. He's still putting all his tools together and is far from a complete player, very similar to Etem and Baertschi (and even Horvat) at the moment. All of those guys have amazing potential and have shown streaks of brilliance, they just need to be more consistent and put it all together. Hopefully the Sedins can show them how because that's essentially what made them superstars, and the kids now can learn from how the Sedins grew in the NHL.

On 7/30/2016 at 11:40 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:
  Regular Season Playoffs

Regular Season Playoffs

So Jake played 1 game less, got almost 1/2 Neely's points, and arguably better defensively. Not bad for a rookie. So maybe folks should give Virtanen the same kind of slack they gave Kassian? 

Jake started out guns blazing but, as the season went on, his play faded and the inexperienced kid who wasn't ready for an 82 game schedule, inevitably came out. 

This is no fault of his but should be placed, squarely, on the shoulders of management. I've said it before; Rushing kids into the NHL in a desperate attempt to speed up a rebuild, not only hurts the team but could, potentially, ruin a prospects career. Yakupov is a clear example of a player with great skills and potential who really could've benefited from some time in the "A". Before him, Alexander Daigle was another player, clearly not ready for the NHL and, quickly, became one of the biggest busts in NHL history.

Jake needs time to grow and mature. There are enough vets left on the UFA list to temporarily fill the void until prospects like Virtanen, Boeser and Juolevi are ready to assume full time roles in the NHL. With proper grooming, I see all three becoming stars in the NHL but patience is key. I truly hope, for Jake's sake, that management does what's best for him and not what's best for their own, personal, agenda's.

Edited by komodo0921

On 7/30/2016 at 10:40 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:
  Regular Season Playoffs

Regular Season Playoffs

What slack? Kassian was far for polarizing then Virt ever could be.

On 8/3/2016 at 9:59 PM, TimberWolf said:

What slack? Kassian was far for polarizing then Virt ever could be.

From what I remember you couldn't criticize Kassian on this forum as people would jump down your throat for it.

"He is still young"

"Power forwards take longer to develop"

"He is big. He is tough. He is mean.

"We dont have anyone like him."

Any criticism was dismissed and posters were ridiculed and flamed for "trolling".

• Upvote 3

Virtanen - Patrick - Boeser:bigblush:

Seriously though put Virtanen on LW to utilize his strengths.  His north/south game and above average one timer can create space for our future snipers like Boeser.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Ran into Jake couple times recently , looking a little chunky . A bit concerning if he doesn't come into training camp ready to go and in shape 

Chunky as in Phil Kessel?  Or chunky as in Bo Horvat? 

I had a thought today.  Could JV have been Aqulini's pick?  Could he have pushed JB into picking the local boy to help sell tickets?  I defend Jake at every turn, but does his character really match with JB's openly stated philosophy of drafting character?