The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I had a thought today.  Could JV have been Aqulini's pick?  Could he have pushed JB into picking the local boy to help sell tickets?  I defend Jake at every turn, but does his character really match with JB's openly stated philosophy of drafting character?

You are overthinking things IMO. Virtanen was the pick to change the Canuck culture. He is a physical force that impressed me throughout the season last year. If Virtanen matures into a Lucic type player most Canuck fans will be ecstatic. Virtanen does not have 'character'? Wow, I don't get that.    

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

You are overthinking things IMO. Virtanen was the pick to change the Canuck culture. He is a physical force that impressed me throughout the season last year. If Virtanen matures into a Lucic type player most Canuck fans will be ecstatic. Virtanen does not have 'character'? Wow, I don't get that.    

Ya, I must have hit my head.  I really like Jake's style of play, and how he thinks the game for how he plays.  It's these posts I keep reading about his diet, his partying, his lack of fitness, and other kind of character stuff.  

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Ran into Jake couple times recently , looking a little chunky . A bit concerning if he doesn't come into training camp ready to go and in shape 

After next year the new analytics model is going to be wide hips and giant asses. good luck trying to skate down the left hand boards with Virtanen and Gudbranson waiting to back him up. Tryamkin takes giant to another level and he proved that his stick is equal to his size. Canucks are going to be more fun to watch since the 2010-2012 teams that had the best record in hockey, and it's all due to giant butts.

Someone must have told have told JV that force = mass * acceleration... he's just working on the mass part.  He can already skate like a runaway train, so the larger that train the more damage that will happen. 

7 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

After next year the new analytics model is going to be wide hips and giant asses. good luck trying to skate down the left hand boards with Virtanen and Gudbranson waiting to back him up. Tryamkin takes giant to another level and he proved that his stick is equal to his size. Canucks are going to be more fun to watch since the 2010-2012 teams that had the best record in hockey, and it's all due to giant butts.

Someone must have told have told JV that force = mass * acceleration... he's just working on the mass part.  He can already skate like a runaway train, so the larger that train the more damage that will happen. 

The kid has an ENORMOUS caboose.  :o

I remember there's about 1/4 second in that Gudbranson Comes To Vancouver video where Virt is running drills and you can see a bit of belly rolling around under his shirt.

Being likened to Kessel isn't actually that bad a thing when you can also skate like Kessel. Or it would be a bad thing if your training and conditioning were being called into question...I don't think anyone is worried about the work that Virtanen is putting in, by all accounts he's been training like a madman all summer.

I imagine that this chunkiness will find itself becoming muscle mass and turning Virtanen into an even scarier beast.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

How fast was he skating?

Didn't get a chance to see besides a pick up game where he was just horsing around. His company seems questionable ,as in his friends if I may say. But we'll leave it at that don't want to get into his personal life 

I'm sure management is keeping tabs on Jake. I doubt they'd let his weight get out of control. Some people are just built bottom heavy like those blow up clowns from the old days that couldn't get knocked over. When people have that body type they always look "chunky" even though they are probably in great shape. It has no doubt benefitted his ability to hit. 

5 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Ran into Jake couple times recently , looking a little chunky . A bit concerning if he doesn't come into training camp ready to go and in shape 

Jake will be fine, in two years we will have the power forward everyone is seeking, this year will be a bit better for him, possibly 20-25pts. He is worth the wait.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, bleedblue2017 said:

Jake will be fine, in two years we will have the power forward everyone is seeking, this year will be a bit better for him, possibly 20-25pts. He is worth the wait.

Hopefully I got high hopes and expectations for the kid. Like his style and tenacity 

11 hours ago, nzan said:

I remember there's about 1/4 second in that Gudbranson Comes To Vancouver video where Virt is running drills and you can see a bit of belly rolling around under his shirt.

Being likened to Kessel isn't actually that bad a thing when you can also skate like Kessel. Or it would be a bad thing if your training and conditioning were being called into question...I don't think anyone is worried about the work that Virtanen is putting in, by all accounts he's been training like a madman all summer.

I imagine that this chunkiness will find itself becoming muscle mass and turning Virtanen into an even scarier beast.

He's young. Training like a pro takes time. Size when you are mobile as Jake is a plus, provided his stamina is there. 

• Upvote 2

On Sunday, July 03, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Kenny Powers said:

https://m.soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancouver/emerson-etem-jake-virtanen-a-focused-summer-of-training-for-both

Just found this 1040 interview with JV & EE. They are training together and competing in sprints, cardio & weights. Sounds like Jake knows he has to earn his ice time, but still sounds pretty goofy/immature when interviewed (and fair enough at 20).

Side Note:  They also mentioned Daniel Sedin rode his bike from YVR straight to the Grouse Grind & went up in 35-37 min - what an ironman.

Well 36 is not really that old.

On 8/15/2016 at 6:05 PM, Alflives said:

Ya, I must have hit my head.  I really like Jake's style of play, and how he thinks the game for how he plays.  It's these posts I keep reading about his diet, his partying, his lack of fitness, and other kind of character stuff.  

I live in Abbotsford.  Met him at a golf tourney this summer and a few social events.  See him at the gym often.  All I will say is he isn't in shape and he does like to have fun.  Having said that he seems like a good kid and is happy to be a Canuck.  

Like all of us he does need to grow up, let's remember he is still only a kid.  But I'm not convinced he has the dedication and mind set to be a top pro based on what I have seen and heard, even if he does posses the skills. Time will tell and I hope he is that player we all want him to be.  For his sake and the Canucks.  

Edited by Borvat

On 8/15/2016 at 10:02 PM, canuckledraggin said:

Works for Crosby LOL

12 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Not sure what you mean. I wasn't implying Daniel was old.

I just meant we shouldn't be so surprised at how in shape he is because of his age. Might be getting up there for a hockey player but still a fairly young guy