The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Could it be possible that the training staff has him on a bulking/strength program before he starts his conditioning program prior to training camp? You know the one where you bulk up, gain tons of strength, muscle and fat... Then you proceed to cut the fat while working on your cardio. Maybe, just maybe the training staff knows a thing or two about off season work....

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Fantomex said:

Could it be possible that the training staff has him on a bulking/strength program before he starts his conditioning program prior to training camp? You know the one where you bulk up, gain tons of strength, muscle and fat... Then you proceed to cut the fat while working on your cardio. Maybe, just maybe the training staff knows a thing or two about off season work....

I agree with this evaluation.  If he is working daily with the Canucks trainers, they will make sure he is ready for training camp.  Him living 10 or 15 min. from the arena allows him to have the actual teams training pros to over see his conditioning.  It also allows management to be updated on his progress and even check in on him regularly.  Trevor Linden seems like a fairly relational guy and I wouldn't be suprised if he isn't spending some one on one time with Jake to give him some direction and help.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 9:03 AM, Borvat said:

I live in Abbotsford.  Met him at a golf tourney this summer and a few social events.  See him at the gym often.  All I will say is he isn't in shape and he does like to have fun.  Having said that he seems like a good kid and is happy to be a Canuck.  

Like all of us he does need to grow up, let's remember he is still only a kid.  But I'm not convinced he has the dedication and mind set to be a top pro based on what I have seen and heard, even if he does posses the skills. Time will tell and I hope he is that player we all want him to be.  For his sake and the Canucks.  

If he's not in shape at camp, Burr will tell him.  They kept him around for a reason.

37 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

If he's not in shape at camp, Burr will tell him.  They kept him around for a reason.

Doesn't anaerobic/aerobic  capacity build up over time?  I thought most men have to really work hard at that, and don't hit their best until a lot older than 20?  Sure JV needs to work hard to be his fittest, but maybe even his best possible level of fitness at 20 might not allow him to play more than 10 to 15 minutes. 

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Doesn't anaerobic/aerobic  capacity build up over time?  I thought most men have to really work hard at that, and don't hit their best until a lot older than 20?  Sure JV needs to work hard to be his fittest, but maybe even his best possible level of fitness at 20 might not allow him to play more than 10 to 15 minutes. 

Ya, I think you're right.  You get stronger and aerobics improve.  You also get leaner and add muscle in your early 20's (some call it losing your baby fat) and into your 30's.  However, your ability to get around the rink will be offset by weight gain (muscle) as you age and at a certain point, the legs just won't go as fast as they used to.  I think there is quite a variance from person to person.  Also, people get smarter at reading the play and work more efficiently.  They say the peak is in the late 20's.

These are my own observations and highly unscientific.  Maybe there's a fitness guru on here who understands this better.

Here's a link to an article that suggests that hockey players peak between 27 and 28.  There are graphics of explosive strength vs endurance that are interesting.

http://www.realclearscience.com/journal_club/2015/06/25/this_is_when_athletes_hit_their_peak_109280.html

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, I think you're right.  You get stronger and aerobics improve.  You also get leaner and add muscle in your early 20's (some call it losing your baby fat) and into your 30's.  However, your ability to get around the rink will be offset by weight gain (muscle) as you age and at a certain point, the legs just won't go as fast as they used to.  I think there is quite a variance from person to person.  Also, people get smarter at reading the play and work more efficiently.  They say the peak is in the late 20's.

These are my own observations and highly unscientific.  Maybe there's a fitness guru on here who understands this better.

Here's a link to an article that suggests that hockey players peak between 27 and 28.  There are graphics of explosive strength vs endurance that are interesting.

http://www.realclearscience.com/journal_club/2015/06/25/this_is_when_athletes_hit_their_peak_109280.html

Didn't the Twins peak in that age area?  May that's what "gets it" has to do with? 

Excellent read.  Thanks CC:)

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Didn't the Twins peak in that age area?  May that's what "gets it" has to do with? 

Excellent read.  Thanks CC:)

Twins ppg peak at 29:    

Hank:  07/08  Age 27 0.93 ppg (76 points in 82 games)

28 1.00 ppg (82 in 82)

09/10         29 1.37 ppg (112 in 82)*

30 1.15 ppg (94 in 82)

Danny:  07/08 Age 27 0.90 ppg (74 in 82)

28 1.00 ppg (82 in 82)

29 1.35 ppg (85 in 63)

10/11        30 1.27 ppg (104 in 82)*

* Art Ross winners

12 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Twins ppg peak at 29:    

Hank:  07/08  Age 27 0.93 ppg (76 points in 82 games)

28 1.00 ppg (82 in 82)

09/10         29 1.37 ppg (112 in 82)*

30 1.15 ppg (94 in 82)

Danny:  07/08 Age 27 0.90 ppg (74 in 82)

28 1.00 ppg (82 in 82)

29 1.35 ppg (85 in 63)

10/11        30 1.27 ppg (104 in 82)*

* Art Ross winners

I wonder if this curve won't affect Jake as drastically in later years?

His speed is elite enough that even when he loses a step he should be able to move at a good level.

I sure just hope that he can bring his production up to the level of his physical attributes!

7 minutes ago, winthecup said:

Spoke with #Canucks Virtanen today. He has been in the gym Mon-Fri since mid May and has achieved his off-season workout benchmarks #TSN1040

Interesting. Wonder what weight he's at now.

Hopefully he's been studying how the Sedins workout and he comes to camp with great cardio.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Interesting. Wonder what weight he's at now.

Hopefully he's been studying how the Sedins workout and he comes to camp with great cardio.

Excellent point DeNiro.  For JV to play top six minutes he needs to be super fit.  Is he old enough to attain that level of fitness though?  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Excellent point DeNiro.  For JV to play top six minutes he needs to be super fit.  Is he old enough to attain that level of fitness though?  

With anything, it takes time.

Jake has had a good start to his training, but will need to continue the same habit to develop his peak physical stamina and such.

I remember watching a short video documentary on the Sedins and they said that it took several years before they developed their level of fitness to be at its top notch level.  

Proper eating, sleeping, workout habits will be key for Jake to refine these next few years to reach his peak potential.

Did you guys actually watch the Sedins play at age 20?  It looked they were skating in quick sand. And they were pretty much knocked off the puck on every shift. And they were 2nd and 3rd overall picks. They were 3rd liners. Jake is MUCH bigger than both of them and skates like the wind. I wouldn't be surprised if he's shows up to camp at 225 pounds. He's gonna be a beast. Forget the cardio. It's not like he's gonna play 20 minutes a night. I don't recall him being winded or benched due to his conditioning. 

If he's on the third line I want him hitting everything in sight and going to the front of the net and getting dirty. That has to be his game. He has to turn into a power forward. That's what we need. Bertuzzi was 240 pounds. And could skate like the wind. These guys are a different breed then the Sedins who rely on their cardio due to their lack of quick feet.  I want Jake running everything in sight and I want him to develop his game on the third line with no pressure. 12 minutes a night of hard hitting, in your face, screening the goalie and chasing the loose pucks is what I wanna see. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Did you guys actually watch the Sedins play at age 20?  It looked they were skating in quick sand. And they were pretty much knocked off the puck on every shift. And they were 2nd and 3rd overall picks. They were 3rd liners. Jake is MUCH bigger than both of them and skates like the wind. I wouldn't be surprised if he's shows up to camp at 225 pounds. He's gonna be a beast. Forget the cardio. It's not like he's gonna play 20 minutes a night. I don't recall him being winded or benched due to his conditioning. 

No professional athlete can just "forget the cardio", it's important for every player whether they're good skaters or not.

Sure he may not play 20 minutes a night but there's gonna be shifts that he my get pinned in his own zone and have to spend 2+ minutes out there. That's when good cardio allows a player to dig deep and make sure they don't get caught chasing the play. Virtanen needs to have that ability as much as any player.

Coach Willie and coach Green both publicly questioned Jake's fitness last season and made it pretty clear he wasn't at the level he needed to be. That's why he was coming out of the lineup so that he could work with the trainers. In order for him to play at 220 lbs and not have it affect his skating he's going to have to have good conditioning. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, winthecup said:

Spoke with #Canucks Virtanen today. He has been in the gym Mon-Fri since mid May and has achieved his off-season workout benchmarks #TSN1040

Here's the full interview. [Audio]

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/virtanen-i-ve-matured-ready-to-make-an-impact-on-the-ice-1.558200

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying Jake should be running around like a headless chicken ala Raffi Torres, what I'm saying is he will be basically our only forward other than Dorsett who knows how to actually lay a hit.  So I want him to be Bertuzzi lite out there.  Of course he needs to have some cardio, I highly doubt he spent every day in the gym since May and has zero cardio.  He's a professional athlete.

He needs to get into the game with his physicality first, go to the dirty areas, and learn to be a power froward.  I don't want him skating around with the puck like Bure trying to deke out 4 guys to score a wonder goal.  He will be a third liner if he sticks with the big club.  The scoring will come.  He needs to learn to play his game first, the goals will come later.  I envision him being a Bertuzzi type player on the second line.  Remember Bertuzzi did squat until he came to the Canucks when he was 24, so it's gonna take awhile for Jake to learn the power game.  But if he does learn it, then he will be a beast with his speed and hitting ability.  That's why Benning drafted him.  Rarely do you see a guy at 220 pounds who can skate like Jake and also hit like a truck.  It's a unique skill set that can't be taught.  However, he has to learn how to read the game better and make better decisions with the puck, which will come in time.

Edited by Harvey Spector

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • b3. unlocked this topic