The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

223.  That's freaking huge.  He was already a very powerful hitter last season.

He seriously has all the physical tools to be a dominant player in this league, and I sure hope management doesn't give up on him.  He was pushed into the league too quickly, and simply didn't understand how to properly play at this level.  He's never been a guy who I've viewed as having a particularly high hockey IQ, but with his tools he doesn't necessarily need it.  He just needs to put it all together and he should do just fine.  Should absolutely be a solid 2nd line winger, at minimum.

I think we do all have to keep in mind how young he was coming into the league, and we certainly haven't seen all he has to offer.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

223.  That's freaking huge.  He was already a very powerful hitter last season.

He seriously has all the physical tools to be a dominant player in this league, and I sure hope management doesn't give up on him.  He was pushed into the league too quickly, and simply didn't understand how to properly play at this level.  He's never been a guy who I've viewed as having a particularly high hockey IQ, but with his tools he doesn't necessarily need it.  He just needs to put it all together and he should do just fine.  Should absolutely be a solid 2nd line winger, at minimum.

I think we do all have to keep in mind how young he was coming into the league, and we certainly haven't seen all he has to offer.

We need to draft a slick set up man with our first pick next year and this kid will explode. He's a sniper, put him in a spot and let him rip it. You need a set up man for that.

I love Bo and he's a 'good set up man' but more of an excellent all around player. We need a Henrik 2.0 / Backstrom who's just going to keep feeding him sauce that he can hammer home,  and Virtanen will hit 40 one day.

Edited by Nuckles80
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Nuckles80 said:

We need to draft a slick set up man with our first pick next year and this kid will explode. He's a sniper, put him in a spot and let him rip it. You need a set up man for that.

I love Bo and he's a 'good set up man' but more of an excellent all around player. We need a Henrik 2.0 / Backstrom who's just going to keep feeding him sauce that he can hammer home,  and Virtanen will hit 40 one day.

There's this guy named Baer... We may already have a set up guy with slick hands. A line of Bo, Baer and Virt on paper has all the attributes to be a westcoast express 2.0. Fingers crossed. 

• Upvote 2

Just as I predicted. I said he's show up to camp around 225 pounds. He's a physical freak of nature. Very few guys that big can skate like the wind. He's even a better skater than Bertuzzi. 

He'll probably slim down during the season to between 215-220 pounds but still he will be a big boy. Can't wait to see him lay out McDavid again. 

His cardio should be fine too, especially if it's mostly muscle gain. I remember Bure used to be a big boy as well. People may not remember but Bure was a gym rat. He had a very muscular build and toned body. Probably less than 6% body fat. And of course he could skate like nobody else. 

Here's to hoping the "kid" line gets reunited. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Nuckles80 said:

Baertschi is a very good passer. I think if you put that "kid" line back together it could create some magic. 

I think Bo Baer and Jake have everything it takes to make a great line. Size, speed, skill, two way game, set up man. That line has the potential to be a top 2nd line in the NHL. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

There's this guy named Baer... We may already have a set up guy with slick hands. A line of Bo, Baer and Virt on paper has all the attributes to be a westcoast express 2.0. Fingers crossed. 

Good point. I see Baer as a very good player but it would be great to find a pure set up guy like I suggested.

39 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Baertschi is a very good passer. I think if you put that "kid" line back together it could create some magic. 

I think Bo Baer and Jake have everything it takes to make a great line. Size, speed, skill, two way game, set up man. That line has the potential to be a top 2nd line in the NHL. 

My guess is that is a "future" line but right now they are trying to build up each player to rid them of their weaknesses. I think that's why they want them apart. Let them learn the parts of the game they need to focus on now (defensive play, forechecking, matchups etc) and at the same time shelter each of them with one or more vets on their lines, so that when they are expected to take over from the twins they have learned how to 'play the right' way ....I think there is a method to the madness. It usually isn't 'willie being willie' guys....he and the upper brass think about these things!

Edited by Nuckles80
  • Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Nuckles80 said:

My guess is that is a "future" line but right now they are trying to build up each player to rid them of their weaknesses. I think that's why they want them apart. Let them learn the parts of the game they need to focus on now (defensive play, forechecking, matchups etc) and at the same time shelter each of them with one or more vets on their lines, so that when they are expected to take over from the twins they have learned how to 'play the right' way ....I think there is a method to the madness. It usually isn't 'willie being willie' guys....he and the upper brass think about these things!

Yep, Baertschi Horvat Virtanen is a future line.

For now, they want much more experience on any given line.  There will be at least 1 veteran on each line moving forward.

• Upvote 1

On August 31, 2016 at 0:49 AM, Harvey Spector said:

Did you guys actually watch the Sedins play at age 20?  It looked they were skating in quick sand. And they were pretty much knocked off the puck on every shift. And they were 2nd and 3rd overall picks. They were 3rd liners. Jake is MUCH bigger than both of them and skates like the wind. I wouldn't be surprised if he's shows up to camp at 225 pounds. He's gonna be a beast. Forget the cardio. It's not like he's gonna play 20 minutes a night. I don't recall him being winded or benched due to his conditioning. 

If he's on the third line I want him hitting everything in sight and going to the front of the net and getting dirty. That has to be his game. He has to turn into a power forward. That's what we need. Bertuzzi was 240 pounds. And could skate like the wind. These guys are a different breed then the Sedins who rely on their cardio due to their lack of quick feet.  I want Jake running everything in sight and I want him to develop his game on the third line with no pressure. 12 minutes a night of hard hitting, in your face, screening the goalie and chasing the loose pucks is what I wanna see. 

223 pounds, close enough...  ::D

8 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

223 pounds, close enough...  ::D

He looks very lean in that picture of him golfing with his buddy's on instagram. I mentioned this in another post. He looks like an MMA fighter and his pudge is gone on this gut. In that pic he's wearing a pretty tight shirt so he can't hide it you can see around his midsection its very flat and he has the body builder 'v' shape.

If it's not an optical illusion and he's leaned up that much and is 223 look out NHL defenseman and wingers

"somebody gonna get a hurt real bad....somebody" when he comes racing down that wing! Hopefully Gud teaches him a few lessons in self defense as well (and stands up for him unlike Prusty / Mr "Learn to fight your own fights" enforcer!) LOL

Edited by Nuckles80
  • Upvote 1

Below link to a video where Virtanen speaks of his off-season training and needing to earn his spot.

He also explains that when he came back from the U20 he was at 213 but felt that he was being moved off the puck a bit so he wanted to be a bit heavier.  

Bigger, stronger and faster Jake Virtanen

Wed, Sep 7: Aside from laying back and relaxing for 2 weeks, Jake Virtanen has been living in the gym. Virtanen tells our Jay Janower that he’s bigger, stronger, faster and eager to prove to belongs at the NHL level.

http://globalnews.ca/video/2926312/new-season-welcomes-bigger-stronger-and-faster-jake-virtanen/

12 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

This is why I like Virtanen

https://giphy.com/gifs/f41nKbmI7ewZW

Haha, that's great :lol:

I would like to see our kid-line, too. These Boys create some chemistry last season, so why take someone of them out of this line?

Edited by Cocolocci
I like the Idea of "West-coast-express 2.0"

1 hour ago, Nuckles80 said:

He looks very lean in that picture of him golfing with his buddy's on instagram. I mentioned this in another post. He looks like an MMA fighter and his pudge is gone on this gut. In that pic he's wearing a pretty tight shirt so he can't hide it you can see around his midsection its very flat and he has the body builder 'v' shape.

If it's not an optical illusion and he's leaned up that much and is 223 look out NHL defenseman and wingers

"somebody gonna get a hurt real bad....somebody" when he comes racing down that wing! Hopefully Gud teaches him a few lessons in self defense as well (and stands up for him unlike Prusty / Mr "Learn to fight your own fights" enforcer!) LOL

When Jake wants to hurt someone we just make sure Try and Guds are on the ice at the same time. The "twin towers". If necessary we can throw Pedan on LW as well. Don't think a lot of teams including Edmonton, *cough* Lucic, will be running after Jake in that scenario. 

• Upvote 1

Was interviewed on TV yesterday after a closed door skate and in his words he's...Bigger, Stronger, Faster with more lean muscle than he's ever had. Mentioned that his shot is much harder now. Also said he's heard all the talk around town about it being better for him if he starts the year in Utica, but says he's only focused on being on the team out of camp.

He looks great and sounds great.

That he has all the tools has never been in doubt. If he can just learn to bring the work ethic and consistency, we'll have a beauty here.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Was interviewed on TV yesterday after a closed door skate and in his words he's...Bigger, Stronger, Faster with more lean muscle than he's ever had. Mentioned that his shot is much harder now. Also said he's heard all the talk around town about it being better for him if he starts the year in Utica, but says he's only focused on being on the team out of camp.

He looks great and sounds great.

That he has all the tools has never been in doubt. If he can just learn to bring the work ethic and consistency, we'll have a beauty here.

I've always found (since his draft year) that his shot has been plenty hard enough. His issue lies in his accuracy. Just my two cents.

Edited by Gooseberries

15 hours ago, Nuckles80 said:

It is hard to say at this point how far Bo will go.  I have always viewed him as an elite 2nd liner (in his prime), and so far I am sticking by that.  However, he has the potential to end up a 1st liner - which would be awesome, since we don't have anyone else in the system with that potential.  But if he doesn't end up that kind of player, then we're going to need to find a Henrik 2.0, as you put it, and without assets to find such a player in a trade, we can only hope to rely on Benning's solid drafting to find him there.  Even if he does, it will take years before such a player would be ready to be our first line center.

Imagine, if it actually worked out though:

Virtanen Horvat Boeser - That would be one hell of a hard line to stop.

• Upvote 1