The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

18 hours ago, nzan said:

How about creating chemistry of Etem-Horvat-Virtanen

Thats a lot of power and forecheck. If they could produce they'd be a great 3rd line.

223?! That's massive, and with his speed...he could quickly become a very rare player

Just wait...if he doesn't perform well you will hear about how he was too heavy. Does anyone recall Sandlak,Antoski and Stojanov having similar off season stories about how they bulked up and were going to be that much stronger...only to have them report to camp the season after slimmed down? Cue bass solo on this!

On August 30, 2016 at 11:49 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With anything, it takes time.

Jake has had a good start to his training, but will need to continue the same habit to develop his peak physical stamina and such.

I remember watching a short video documentary on the Sedins and they said that it took several years before they developed their level of fitness to be at its top notch level.  

Proper eating, sleeping, workout habits will be key for Jake to refine these next few years to reach his peak potential.

Well said and very correct.  The average humans peak for physical strength starts around 30 (of course professional athletes will take a few years off of that.  That's why there is always the joke about "man strength".  As far as the endurance side of things as humans we continue to grow as we challenge our physical endurance.  Marathon runners will attest to the fact that in their 40s they have a ton more in the tank than in their 20s.  It decades of pushing your limits of endurance that program your body. 

27 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Well said and very correct.  The average humans peak for physical strength starts around 30 (of course professional athletes will take a few years off of that.  That's why there is always the joke about "man strength".  As far as the endurance side of things as humans we continue to grow as we challenge our physical endurance.  Marathon runners will attest to the fact that in their 40s they have a ton more in the tank than in their 20s.  It decades of pushing your limits of endurance that program your body. 

Yes!  So often in the media I hear these analysts talking about players peaking in their mid 20's and regressing after that which is ludicrous.  I know everyone is different, but real physical maturity doesn't kick in like you say until your late 20's.  And spot on about endurance.  We live in such a I want it now kind of time and everyone expects way too much from a young kid like Jake.

Great to see that he is training hard.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Was interviewed on TV yesterday after a closed door skate and in his words he's...Bigger, Stronger, Faster with more lean muscle than he's ever had. Mentioned that his shot is much harder now. Also said he's heard all the talk around town about it being better for him if he starts the year in Utica, but says he's only focused on being on the team out of camp.

He looks great and sounds great.

That he has all the tools has never been in doubt. If he can just learn to bring the work ethic and consistency, we'll have a beauty here.

Bolded = Oh boy....faster? bigger? he's gonna start alot of brawls in his career because he already hits pretty violently and is clean....sadly players can't take a hit anymore even if clean so there is gonna be alot of fighting when he's on the ice

Edited by Nuckles80

1 hour ago, cabinessence said:

Just wait...if he doesn't perform well you will hear about how he was too heavy. Does anyone recall Sandlak,Antoski and Stojanov having similar off season stories about how they bulked up and were going to be that much stronger...only to have them report to camp the season after slimmed down? Cue bass solo on this!

Not sure that applies to Jake in the same way, just because of his blazing speed. If he was an average speed guy, I'd worry; not so with Jake.

I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps adding mass bit by bit for the next 5 years or so; then when he's getting to the point where he could start losing a step, start trimming down further at that point...

I don't recall Sandlak, Antoski or Stojanov, but I do remember when Sopel put on 40 lbs in an off-season! He said he was eating 8-10 steaks a day and just as much chicken. Sounded delicious.

Edited by nzan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheOgRook said:

Man strength is a very real thing, I can guarantee it myself as someone who played competitive sports. I don't know why or how it happens but you can lift all the weights you want, but when you age, a man who can lift less can actually be 'stronger' in sports. Perhaps its how your weight / muscle is distributed but its real. So given how tough he is already on his skates, its going to be ridiculous when he's 27-30

Edited by Nuckles80

59 minutes ago, nzan said:

Not sure that applies to Jake in the same way, just because of his blazing speed. If he was an average speed guy, I'd worry; not so with Jake.

I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps adding mass bit by bit for the next 5 years or so; then when he's getting to the point where he could start losing a step, start trimming down further at that point...

I don't recall Sandlak, Antoski or Stojanov, but I do remember when Sopel put on 40 lbs in an off-season! He said he was eating 8-10 steaks a day and just as much chicken. Sounded delicious.

Great points. Antoski skated well for his size, for the time....The thing is I think Jake is just 6'1".

Every off season we hear and read stories of players who say they have had the best off season of their career and it literally means nothing.

Its good he is in shape for sure but lets not get to far ahead of ourselves.

Remember when Kassian had the best off season of his career?  

4 hours ago, Stelar said:

Every off season we hear and read stories of players who say they have had the best off season of their career and it literally means nothing.

Its good he is in shape for sure but lets not get to far ahead of ourselves.

Remember when Kassian had the best off season of his career?  

How hard did he work though? Virtanen has been hitting the gym twice per day. Shows to me he's committed to getting better. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

How hard did he work though? Virtanen has been hitting the gym twice per day. Shows to me he's committed to getting better. 

Hopefully he worked real hard.  It's his job to do so.  I just think that people think because a player worked hard in the offseason that it will result in instant improvement on the ice.

News flash, most NHL pros work hard in the offseason.

i hope he is bigger, stronger and faster because he has real potential to be better than Bert.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Hopefully he worked real hard.  It's his job to do so.  I just think that people think because a player worked hard in the offseason that it will result in instant improvement on the ice.

News flash, most NHL pros work hard in the offseason.

i hope he is bigger, stronger and faster because he has real potential to be better than Bert.  

Different than Bert.  Bert had beautiful soft hands.  JV is far more aggressive.  We were really blessed to see Bert play.  He was a unique player, considering his body weight.  

JV is 223 lbs and in a much leaner body than before.  He is a naturally heavy guy, which is the same advantage Bert had.  JV could certainly become a unique player too, but a bit different than Bert.  IMHAO, of course:)

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow 12m12 minutes ago

Virtanen: "I feel a bit faster and stronger. My shot is the biggest thing I've worked on. I'm feeling pretty confident in my shot." #Canucks

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow 13m13 minutes ago

Virtanen on his weight: "At the end of the season, I'm not sure what I was at. Right now, I'm 223. After World Juniors, I was 213."

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow 14m14 minutes ago

Jake Virtanen: "This summer, I worked on changing my body composition. Getting more muscle, losing fat. I feel strong as ever." #Canucks

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Different than Bert.  Bert had beautiful soft hands.  JV is far more aggressive.  We were really blessed to see Bert play.  He was a unique player, considering his body weight.  

JV is 223 lbs and in a much leaner body than before.  He is a naturally heavy guy, which is the same advantage Bert had.  JV could certainly become a unique player too, but a bit different than Bert.  IMHAO, of course:)

Agreed.

I'm so excited for Virt and I think he'll be a highly productive, wrecking-ball of a power forward.

I can't realistically expect that he'll be as good as Bert though. That short time that he was at the top of his game...there weren't many players ever as exciting as that...

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, nzan said:

Agreed.

I'm so excited for Virt and I think he'll be a highly productive, wrecking-ball of a power forward.

I can't realistically expect that he'll be as good as Bert though. That short time that he was at the top of his game...there weren't many players ever as exciting as that...

Agreed, the greatest Canuck's get a tree in the Alf yard, and Bert has one - a "Fat Albert".  Mrs. Alf is a Leaf's fan.  For some reason, they have no trees - that lived.  :lol:.  I guess urin is bad for trees!  :lol:

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tell that to Steve Moore 

12 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Was interviewed on TV yesterday after a closed door skate and in his words he's...Bigger, Stronger, Faster with more lean muscle than he's ever had. Mentioned that his shot is much harder now. Also said he's heard all the talk around town about it being better for him if he starts the year in Utica, but says he's only focused on being on the team out of camp.

He looks great and sounds great.

That he has all the tools has never been in doubt. If he can just learn to bring the work ethic and consistency, we'll have a beauty here.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Nuckles80 said:

Bolded = Oh boy....faster? bigger? he's gonna start alot of brawls in his career because he already hits pretty violently and is clean....sadly players can't take a hit anymore even if clean so there is gonna be alot of fighting when he's on the ice

That's why we traded for this guy...

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

That's why we traded for this guy...

image.jpeg

Will be nice to see Gudbranson poseing for a pic like that in the blue green and white,.  a grin that is pure Valhalla.

Heard Tryamkin is apparently in great shape too, also heard Pedan was training in Vancouver this Summer... We could have quite a good clan this fall.

Looking forward to it.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Will be nice to see Gudbranson poseing for a pic like that in the blue green and white,.  a grin that is pure Valhalla.

Heard Tryamkin is apparently in great shape too, also heard Pedan was training in Vancouver this Summer... We could have quite a good clan this fall.

Looking forward to it.

SS you profile pic and that Gudbranson look, are identical, no?

• Upvote 1