The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

10 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

Raffi 2.0

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Tonight I think Jake is actually showing glimpses of a young Bert, when he played for the Islanders.

Ya I could hear Nordstrom's head hitting the boards for sure! Give me a break. I guess I missed the stretcher?

Virtanen had a good game. The fans on hear who regularly question his hockey IQ seem pretty quiet. He powered out of the corners and from behind the net a few times. Made some nice passes. As SilentSam suggests this kid has serious Bert potential. Keep playing him!

I would hope if someone did that to one of our guys, they would get at least a game. It's illegal contact.

And he's not a Young Bert. Bertuzzi was an east west player, Virt is North south. Nothing wrong with that, you need both types on your team but the comparison sucks

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Touch of a mean streak in development ;) 

If someone did that to Horvat or Hutton I would want them gone for a couple games. No place in the game for that, concussions are extremely dangerous.

There is a difference between playing big and mean, and dirty. That crossed the line. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Ya I could hear Nordstrom's head hitting the boards for sure! Give me a break. I guess I missed the stretcher?

Virtanen had a good game. The fans on hear who regularly question his hockey IQ seem pretty quiet. He powered out of the corners and from behind the net a few times. Made some nice passes. As SilentSam suggests this kid has serious Bert potential. Keep playing him!

Cheers Boudrias.. I was lucky enough to watch Jake play a lot in Major Midget, and Junior.

Once this young man grows into his prime, his shot, soft hands and power game will be with the leagues best.

As much as I know it would not hurt to move him to the Comets, he is contributing here with the Canucks.

Maybe we have the luxury of send Jake down for 10 and then up for 10?  Skille can fill that hole if someone like LaBate or Zalewiski could work into a rotation as well.

Either way, great depth this year, it will help us this season.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

wow.  the refs didn't catch it then but I can guarantee you they have seen it now.  Hes going to be watched much more closely now.  That was a mean and unnecessary move.

kind of disappointed in jake for that one.

Just now, SilentSam said:

Cheers Boudrias.. I was lucky enough to watch Jake play a lot in Major Midget, and Junior.

Once this young man grows into his prime, his shot, soft hands and power game will be with the leagues best.

I like the sound of that ^^

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

wow.  the refs didn't catch it then but I can guarantee you they have seen it now.  Hes going to be watched much more closely now.  That was a mean and unnecessary move.

kind of disappointed in jake for that one.

... Every team has players that play on that edge. 

Could be that Jake put his hand down trying to keep Nordstrom off balance,. Nordstrom was in a position where he could have retaliated on the initial hit from Jake and taken his knees out into the boards.  Jake, HAS TO look after himself.

the head slap was nothing.. 

If the Canucks don't carry an "air" of meanness, we will get destroyed this year again.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

... Every team has players that play on that edge. 

Could be that Jake put his hand down trying to keep Nordstrom off balance,. Nordstrom was in a position where he could have retaliated on the initial hit from Jake and taken his knees out into the boards.  Jake, HAS TO look after himself.

the head slap was nothing.. 

If the Canucks don't carry an "air" of meanness, we will get destroyed this year again.

I would agree with you if he didn't push his head in the boards.  If he just kept his arm straight and held his head sure I can buy that.  But he visually shoved his head into the boards like a WWE wrestler would do to another into the outside ring post.

• Upvote 1

Uncalled for?  Probably. 

A 'disturbing play by a disturbing player'....not even close. 

I understand the concern about head shots and concussions but my goodness, go watch some ringette (or the Alberta teams...which is pretty much ringette). 

I would agree with you if he didn't push his head in the boards.  If he just kept his arm straight and held his head sure I can buy that.  But he visually shoved his head into the boards like a WWE wrestler would do to another into the outside ring post.

It's people like you who created a world with less butter in Kraft Dinner and fewer Merry go rounds at playgrounds. 

:D

• Upvote 2

hahahahhaa too funny.  Sorry I've upgraded to Sidekicks! :D

Side kicks just don't do it for me. :P

joking somewhat aside, I get the concern I just don't think it was nearly as bad as some are suggesting. 

Edited by J-Dizzle

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Yeah well at least the guy is not a whining hypocrite. If a player, any player had done that to one of ours, these boards would go into meltdown. 

Is this another player who gets the refs after us and leads to lack of respect for our team? I hope not, I would be disappointed if the coach or TL hasn't told him to cut that kind of crap out.

The guy who's head he rammed into the boards is 174lbs soaking wet. Way to go tough guy.

.. Weight Class for hockey!

Bobby Farnham will sign up for sure.

ps. Nordstrom runs around 190, 200 soaking wet.

Edited by SilentSam

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

Side kicks just don't do it for me.  

All joking somewhat aside, I get the concern I just don't think it was nearly as bad as some are suggesting. 

It almost looks like he tries to push his head down and back. Kind of like a piss off don't slash me type move.  But the impact with the boards kind of makes it a lot more dramatic. If i was in the player safety department I would be keeping a very close eye on him. Probably send him a 50k fine too.  If he does it again though in his career it will be more obvious his intentions.  you don't see plays like that often.

20 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

It almost looks like he tries to push his head down and back. Kind of like a piss off don't slash me type move.  But the impact with the boards kind of makes it a lot more dramatic. If i was in the player safety department I would be keeping a very close eye on him. Probably send him a 50k fine too.  If he does it again though in his career it will be more obvious his intentions.  you don't see plays like that often.

Again, I just don't see the heinousness of the act BUT, it was somewhat obscure (like you said don't see it often), likely should have been penalized, and IF he makes a habit out of doing things like that he'll probably get himself in trouble. 

Edit. Deserved trouble. 

Edited by J-Dizzle