The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

16 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I can't stand comments like this. What does Jake going to a concert have to do with anything? You know players are allowed downtime away from the rink right? This isn't some kind of Red Army military group. 

Hate it all you want but they're paid millions of dollars so management and ownership have a right to be upset when someone stays out late before game day.  Why don't you ask Henrik and the rest of the veteran core  what they think of the situation?  And players don't have free range to do whatever they want, they're under contract and some contracts stipulate what they cannot do like driving exotic cars, riding fast bikes or skydiving.  If Virtanen can't wrap his head around this then is dumber than I thought. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Hate it all you want but they're paid millions of dollars so management and ownership have a right to be upset when someone stays out late before game day.  Why don't you ask Henrik and the rest of the veteran core  what they think of the situation?  And players don't have free range to do whatever they want, they're under contract and some contracts stipulate what they cannot do like driving exotic cars, riding fast bikes or skydiving.  If Virtanen can't wrap his head around this then is dumber than I thought. 

This is all just speculation on your part, just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's fact. How do you know that this is all under their contract? Many other players are seen at concerts here in Vancouver. Heck, I've seen Burrows and Tanev out late on a Friday night on the Granville strip. You could be right about players not being able to participate in extreme activities, but I doubt going to a concert is considered one of them. 

12 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Speculation!  Who said he stayed out late?  What is late?  How do you know what management allows and doesn't allow their players to do?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

jake needs to be sent down to utica for some more seasoning. he's not developing as well as he could be if he was sent down for a bit. 

Sorry N4, but JV needs to live with, train with, and play on the line with the Twins.  

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sorry N4, but JV needs to live with, train with, and play on the line with the Twins.  

I think that's too much pressure for Jake. He needs development time. Putting a player who isn't ready to be on the first line in the NHL is a sure way to bust your prospects, and young players. Sorry to say, but it's a foolish move, Alf. 

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

That horse is dead.  

I dunno. Is there room for Jake to be playing on a consistent basis at the NHL level, once Rodin is back? He's already being swapped in and out for Skille. Not sure that's the greatest rhythm for a player who continues to need development time. I'm not sure exactly what management wants from Jake. He's not playing a ton of minutes, and it's obvious that he has all the physical tools, but he's not thinking the game at an NHL calibre level. 

On 10/19/2016 at 5:16 PM, N4ZZY said:

jake needs to be sent down to utica for some more seasoning. he's not developing as well as he could be if he was sent down for a bit. 

Yeah, he's crying out for a character building assignment. i don't understand what's holding them back. Dal Colle is in the AHL, it isn't unprecedented.

18 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Yeah, he's crying out for a character building assignment. i don't understand what's holding them back. Dal Colle is in the AHL, it isn't unprecedented.

I'm afraid that management is mishandling Jake. 

I would bummed if Virtanen turned out to be another Kassian. 

What a wasted pick that would be....

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

He has to play for sure. Skille is playing a safe steady game but the Canucks have to find lines that can score. I'm sure he will get a game in Cali. Hopefully management has some kind of plan for this kid. Skille as a 3rd line winger should be spot duty only.

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm more worried he's another Kenin's and hurts himself in banging and crashing then has to become a whole different style player. He has to score to stay in the line up.

He has too many distractions in this market.  He is too comfortable and I think some time in New York away from friends and distractions may help him.  The press box won't help him get his game together.  Maybe a couple of months away will do him and his game some good.  Let him ride the bus and see how the other half lives at the AHL level.

Edited by Borvat

32 minutes ago, Borvat said:

He has too many distractions in this market.  He is too comfortable and I think some time in New York away from friends and distractions may help him.  The press box won't help him get his game together.  Maybe a couple of months away will do him and his game some good.  Let him ride the bus and see how the other half lives at the AHL level.

A stint (even a season) in the AHL, riding buses and eating crappy meals, might be good for his ego.

• Upvote 1

On 10/19/2016 at 3:51 PM, Tre Mac said:

Well if I was the coach he would be benched for atrocious taste in music(Kanye and Biebs)

I was at Kanye in Toronto and the concert ran till about 11:30pm, I wouldn't consider that late if he got home by midnight. I'm not going to lie Mac, saying that Kanye makes atrocious music is probably biggest 'L' in this entire thread. The man has changed hip-hop with every album and is the most influential artist of this generation; put your personal opinion about his character aside.

Jake needs to be in Utica. Every time I see him play it looks like he doesn't belong. He doesn't think the game at this level yet, maybe he develops that in Utica, but he can't survive based off of physical strengths alone.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

I was at Kanye in Toronto and the concert ran till about 11:30pm, I wouldn't consider that late if he got home by midnight. I'm not going to lie Mac, saying that Kanye makes atrocious music is probably biggest 'L' in this entire thread. The man has changed hip-hop with every album and is the most influential artist of this generation; put your personal opinion about his character aside.

Jake needs to be in Utica. Every time I see him play it looks like he doesn't belong. He doesn't think the game at this level yet, maybe he develops that in Utica, but he can't survive based off of physical strengths alone.

Put my opinion aside eh?  You are so off based I am putting you on ignore.  There is nothing influential about spitting lies on a computerized track.

50 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

Agreed. I think management sees it differently though. 

I think Jake needs to be able to score and be physical, but does he develop that while riding the bench, or does he have a better opportunity to do it in Utica with Green as his coach? 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Joe_Kerr said:

IMO hes the only one that really compliments the Baer-Bo line...well him and Rodin. Vrbata, Skille, Dors, they all just seem to be on the outside looking in when the other two start playing around with the puck in the offensive zone

Well. It's between Rodin and Virtanen, now. Vrbata isn't here anymore. And Skille is probably better off playing a bottom six role (fourth line, really, he bangs and crashes, and plays physical, while being good defensively). Skille, Burr, and Dorsett might not be a bad line, but if that's the line for the fourth, where does Gaunce fit in? 

27 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Agreed. I think management sees it differently though. 

I think Jake needs to be able to score and be physical, but does he develop that while riding the bench, or does he have a better opportunity to do it in Utica with Green as his coach? 

I think the management needs to stopping being stubborn. A player at his age has to play every game to be able to fully develop his game. 

As soon as Rodin comes back, Virtanen should be sent down.