The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. this is not comparable to Jake's push off.

I know. And I think Weber only received a small fine for that. Just trying to make a point that what Jake did is nowhere as bad as people people make it out to be. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

He was a bad ref, who spent all his time focusing on his refection in the glass to see his hair was just right, instead of watching the game.  As the Donald would say:  "LOSER"

He could be painful but I always thought he was a decent enough ref. The problem today is that he is grasping to stay relevant. He plays the politically correct ticket to a tee. No one watching that shove on TV or in most of the arena seats would have any idea how hard that push was. A lot of hot air over nothing.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

I'd prefer if Jake wasn't the kind of guy to do that. That's Marchand type antics. I like his hard nosed play, but I think this crosses a line.

yeah. i know what you mean. i hope he was spoken to by other member who of the team and the head coach himself. Jake is still a young and impressionable young man. he needs mentors in the game and in life too. not excusing his behavior against Nordstrom (was that the player he smashed the head into the boards)? but yeah. still hoping that jake is going to figure things out at this level and be the player he knows he can be. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NHL'er said:

I know. And I think Weber only received a small fine for that. Just trying to make a point that what Jake did is nowhere as bad as people people make it out to be. 

.. Think I read Weber got a 25 hundred dollar fine.. That's 2,500.oo

people on here saying Virtanen should get 50 thousand!  If he goes down to the AHL that's about half of his income for the year.

Whats missing in the Videos I've seen, but you can kind of make it out, is Nordstrom trying to grab Jakes leg with his left arm as Nordstrom slides into the boards. Virtanen is actually defending himself from being tripped into the boards by Nordstrom. Virtanen slaps at Nordstrom to distract and divert his attention away from his leg.

In "lay man's terms"..  F off, don't do that, slap.

TSN1040 reporting Virtanen was at the Kanye concert Monday night. Not sure this has anything to do with getting scratched last night(I think it does) but he is getting scratched again vs. Buffalo.  I stuck up for this kid more than enough, he needs to pull his head out of his ass and get his shiz together.  He looks completely lost at times out there as if he has zero hockey sense.  Physically he is extremely gifted but all that will be lost if he cannot think and play the game at a higher level.

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

TSN1040 reporting Virtanen was at the Kanye concert Monday night. Not sure this has anything to do with getting scratched last night(I think it does) but he is getting scratched again vs. Buffalo.  I stuck up for this kid more than enough, he needs to pull his head out of his ass and get his shiz together.  He looks completely lost at times out there as if he has zero hockey sense.  Physically he is extremely gifted but all that will be lost if he cannot think and play the game at a higher level.

If he went out and didn't drink.  Would it still be a problem?  Is it because its the wrong environment or because he would be staying up too late and not resting?

I understand it makes sense. Just trying to figure out the specific justification?  What if he remained seated the entire concert?

25 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I can't stand comments like this. What does Jake going to a concert have to do with anything? You know players are allowed downtime away from the rink right? This isn't some kind of Red Army military group. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I can't stand comments like this. What does Jake going to a concert have to do with anything? You know players are allowed downtime away from the rink right? This isn't some kind of Red Army military group. 

Hate it all you want but they're paid millions of dollars so management and ownership have a right to be upset when someone stays out late before game day.  Why don't you ask Henrik and the rest of the veteran core  what they think of the situation?  And players don't have free range to do whatever they want, they're under contract and some contracts stipulate what they cannot do like driving exotic cars, riding fast bikes or skydiving.  If Virtanen can't wrap his head around this then is dumber than I thought. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Hate it all you want but they're paid millions of dollars so management and ownership have a right to be upset when someone stays out late before game day.  Why don't you ask Henrik and the rest of the veteran core  what they think of the situation?  And players don't have free range to do whatever they want, they're under contract and some contracts stipulate what they cannot do like driving exotic cars, riding fast bikes or skydiving.  If Virtanen can't wrap his head around this then is dumber than I thought. 

This is all just speculation on your part, just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's fact. How do you know that this is all under their contract? Many other players are seen at concerts here in Vancouver. Heck, I've seen Burrows and Tanev out late on a Friday night on the Granville strip. You could be right about players not being able to participate in extreme activities, but I doubt going to a concert is considered one of them. 

12 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Speculation!  Who said he stayed out late?  What is late?  How do you know what management allows and doesn't allow their players to do?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sorry N4, but JV needs to live with, train with, and play on the line with the Twins.  

I think that's too much pressure for Jake. He needs development time. Putting a player who isn't ready to be on the first line in the NHL is a sure way to bust your prospects, and young players. Sorry to say, but it's a foolish move, Alf. 

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

That horse is dead.  

I dunno. Is there room for Jake to be playing on a consistent basis at the NHL level, once Rodin is back? He's already being swapped in and out for Skille. Not sure that's the greatest rhythm for a player who continues to need development time. I'm not sure exactly what management wants from Jake. He's not playing a ton of minutes, and it's obvious that he has all the physical tools, but he's not thinking the game at an NHL calibre level. 

On 10/19/2016 at 5:16 PM, N4ZZY said:

jake needs to be sent down to utica for some more seasoning. he's not developing as well as he could be if he was sent down for a bit. 

Yeah, he's crying out for a character building assignment. i don't understand what's holding them back. Dal Colle is in the AHL, it isn't unprecedented.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • b3. unlocked this topic