The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

18 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Yeah, he's crying out for a character building assignment. i don't understand what's holding them back. Dal Colle is in the AHL, it isn't unprecedented.

I'm afraid that management is mishandling Jake. 

I would bummed if Virtanen turned out to be another Kassian. 

What a wasted pick that would be....

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

He has to play for sure. Skille is playing a safe steady game but the Canucks have to find lines that can score. I'm sure he will get a game in Cali. Hopefully management has some kind of plan for this kid. Skille as a 3rd line winger should be spot duty only.

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm more worried he's another Kenin's and hurts himself in banging and crashing then has to become a whole different style player. He has to score to stay in the line up.

He has too many distractions in this market.  He is too comfortable and I think some time in New York away from friends and distractions may help him.  The press box won't help him get his game together.  Maybe a couple of months away will do him and his game some good.  Let him ride the bus and see how the other half lives at the AHL level.

Edited by Borvat
32 minutes ago, Borvat said:

He has too many distractions in this market.  He is too comfortable and I think some time in New York away from friends and distractions may help him.  The press box won't help him get his game together.  Maybe a couple of months away will do him and his game some good.  Let him ride the bus and see how the other half lives at the AHL level.

A stint (even a season) in the AHL, riding buses and eating crappy meals, might be good for his ego.

• Upvote 1
On 10/19/2016 at 3:51 PM, Tre Mac said:

Well if I was the coach he would be benched for atrocious taste in music(Kanye and Biebs)

I was at Kanye in Toronto and the concert ran till about 11:30pm, I wouldn't consider that late if he got home by midnight. I'm not going to lie Mac, saying that Kanye makes atrocious music is probably biggest 'L' in this entire thread. The man has changed hip-hop with every album and is the most influential artist of this generation; put your personal opinion about his character aside.

Jake needs to be in Utica. Every time I see him play it looks like he doesn't belong. He doesn't think the game at this level yet, maybe he develops that in Utica, but he can't survive based off of physical strengths alone.

• Upvote 1

IMO hes the only one that really compliments the Baer-Bo line...well him and Rodin. Vrbata, Skille, Dors, they all just seem to be on the outside looking in when the other two start playing around with the puck in the offensive zone

43 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

I was at Kanye in Toronto and the concert ran till about 11:30pm, I wouldn't consider that late if he got home by midnight. I'm not going to lie Mac, saying that Kanye makes atrocious music is probably biggest 'L' in this entire thread. The man has changed hip-hop with every album and is the most influential artist of this generation; put your personal opinion about his character aside.

Jake needs to be in Utica. Every time I see him play it looks like he doesn't belong. He doesn't think the game at this level yet, maybe he develops that in Utica, but he can't survive based off of physical strengths alone.

Put my opinion aside eh?  You are so off based I am putting you on ignore.  There is nothing influential about spitting lies on a computerized track.

50 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

Agreed. I think management sees it differently though. 

I think Jake needs to be able to score and be physical, but does he develop that while riding the bench, or does he have a better opportunity to do it in Utica with Green as his coach? 

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Joe_Kerr said:

IMO hes the only one that really compliments the Baer-Bo line...well him and Rodin. Vrbata, Skille, Dors, they all just seem to be on the outside looking in when the other two start playing around with the puck in the offensive zone

Well. It's between Rodin and Virtanen, now. Vrbata isn't here anymore. And Skille is probably better off playing a bottom six role (fourth line, really, he bangs and crashes, and plays physical, while being good defensively). Skille, Burr, and Dorsett might not be a bad line, but if that's the line for the fourth, where does Gaunce fit in? 

27 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Agreed. I think management sees it differently though. 

I think Jake needs to be able to score and be physical, but does he develop that while riding the bench, or does he have a better opportunity to do it in Utica with Green as his coach? 

I think the management needs to stopping being stubborn. A player at his age has to play every game to be able to fully develop his game. 

As soon as Rodin comes back, Virtanen should be sent down. 

23 minutes ago, khay said:

I think the management needs to stopping being stubborn. A player at his age has to play every game to be able to fully develop his game. 

As soon as Rodin comes back, Virtanen should be sent down. 

AGREED. 

It would be the right thing to do, for Jake. 

He just needs some seasoning at the AHL level. 

He never should have been on the team last year. IMO unless a teenager can show that he is above and beyond better than the competition, he should not be on the team. Virtanen just barely made the team last year and they should have given him his 9 games and sent him back to a team that was hosting the Memorial Cup and would have given him ample playing minutes. Instead he got barely any minutes was even scratched a few times. He went into the WJC with low on confidence and that combined with the atrocious coaching led to a poor tournament. He managed to grind out the season and turn it around but we have yet to see the best of Jake Virtanen because he is consistently being put in a position that is way above his head. Going back to junior has never really harmed young players, bringing them in early before they are truly ready has been known to. Take the examples of Ryan Strome, Max Domi and Christian Dvorak. Going back to junior helped them considerably.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Well. It's between Rodin and Virtanen, now. Vrbata isn't here anymore. And Skille is probably better off playing a bottom six role (fourth line, really, he bangs and crashes, and plays physical, while being good defensively). Skille, Burr, and Dorsett might not be a bad line, but if that's the line for the fourth, where does Gaunce fit in? 

GETTOUUTAA hereeeee!! SINNCEE wheennnn <_<

@Mac - If you want to have an adult conversation instead of generalizing an entire discography, I'll gladly talk about it, no need for an ignore. Have you even given his music an unbiased listen to through and through of his albums? Whether it's your taste in music or not, you cannot deny the influence he's had in setting a precedent for popular music and artists in today's day and age. No Kanye -> no drake -> no Travis Scott -> no Chance The Rapper -> no Kendrick -> the list goes on.

It almost seems like Benning is contradicting himself in terms of his management with Jake. He and Willie said during training camp that he needs to play, well he's not. If it's on-ice or better yet off-ice issues that are plaguing his ability in to be in the lineup, the remedy for either is the minors where he'll need to learn and mature in every aspect if he ever wants to play in Vancouver consistently again.

Edited by junglesniper
3 hours ago, Joe_Kerr said:

I personally feel that Rodin fits well with Baer and Bo. I think that Jake and Jack basically have until Rodin comes back to determine which one gets sent down...a because I believe Jack would have to clear waivers, the onus is on Jake to impress. Rodin looked strong in the pre-season and very ready for an NHL role.

While many say he was rushed, I think its still too early to tell, but Im of the opinion that he held his own very well last season as he wasnt the reason we were losing games and was actually quite solid in most aspects of the game aside from pure production. 

I do agree though that a full season or two would be a good thing for Jakes long term career arch. As it would allow him to hone his game and refine the aspects that will allow him to be an impactful NHL'r.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic