The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

What happened to this kids shot? last year he scored some beauts by picking the corners.

He has had 2 point blank prime opportunies to score this year (hurricanes and vs oilers). He shot one right at lack, and vs the Oilers he missed by about 10 feet high. 

Somethings up here, not to mention he is always shifting off a line early and looks gassed. At least he threw some decent hits vs the oil

1 minute ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

What happened to this kids shot? last year he scored some beauts by picking the corners.

He has had 2 point blank prime opportunies to score this year (hurricanes and vs oilers). He shot one right at lack, and vs the Oilers he missed by about 10 feet high. 

Somethings up here, not to mention he is always shifting off a line early and looks gassed. At least he threw some decent hits vs the oil

He's playing odd shifts, usually starting in the d zone.  He said himself he needs to earn a regular offensive role, by doing just like he did last game.  With the better play will come the regular shifts, and with that confidence in his offence.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Even they can't screw up McDoobie.

Jake was good again tonight, playing on the shutdown line with Bo and Sven.

:unsure:

That line looked good.  I liked how Jarvis was coaching him at the bench teaching him about what he should be doing. That was a couple times during the game. Seemed to help. I mean the not yelling part Lol.

13 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I think we can all agree that Edmonton Management sucked for the better part of 10 years. Starting with Kevin Lowe and a litany of inexperienced coaches and Pat Quinn who was probably smarter than all the rest of management. But they did not totally fail at drafting and now after 1+ years of good managment and a good coach they have turned the corner.

Edited by lmm

16 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Funny how the last two games he has played the most ice time this year, and had had his two best games of the year.He still needs to get his shot going and continue to hit like he did against the Oilers. I think all that will come with regular minutes and not sitting 15 mins in a row and then take mainly only defensive draws. Keep him with BO-Bar let them actually gel together. Same with the triplets, these guys are old enough where they can figure it out on their own. For as sub-par as they have been, considering their standards there still on pace for 50 points each lol. We all know they will find their game and all finish like  we thought they would

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's nearing that time where the switch needs to be flipped.  The Sedins aren't able to keep the pace of our other three lines along with the way the league is going with youth and speed.  At some point I think Willie needs to just unleash the kids and have the Sedins as an equal and even secondary scoring line.  Sutter can anchor the shutdown line, which has enough speed to be a good counter-attacking force as well.

Or split the twins up with a mix of youth.  Team Henrik vs team Daniel. 

Both are skilled enough to carry a line and like to goad each other as brothers always do.  They can always be double shifted together and not miss a beat. This encourages our young players, a different and less predictable match up for opposing teams and gives two lines some excellent play makers. 

What at do we have to lose?  

14 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's nearing that time where the switch needs to be flipped.  The Sedins aren't able to keep the pace of our other three lines along with the way the league is going with youth and speed.  At some point I think Willie needs to just unleash the kids and have the Sedins as an equal and even secondary scoring line.  Sutter can anchor the shutdown line, which has enough speed to be a good counter-attacking force as well.

They also need to get Bo with some mix of Sutter, Hansen and Virtanen IMO. Too many mish-mashed lines of North/South players playing with East/West players and we wonder why we're not scoring...

Jake Virtanen’s fitness wasn’t up to expectations at training camp

Amidst all the Virtanen noise this week was the revelation Virtanen wasn’t where the team needed him to be when training camp started.

Wait, what?

This is the guy who lived in Vancouver all summer and spent five days a week showing up to Rogers Arena for training.

Maybe it’s too much to expect him to be at the same level as the Sedins. But given how closely Virtanen was working with the Canucks’ training staff and how committed he was in giving his time, you’d expect some good results here.

But no, and that’s not a good look for anyone involved.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/surprise-surprise-canucks-top-10-well-what-do-ya-know

How exactly was the staff unable to prepare him for the season when he showed up 5 days a week?

On 7/13/2016 at 4:09 AM, 70seven said:

So my buddies beer league team was playing against a team with a ringer yesterday...  Turns out Jake Virtanen had a friend on the other team and came out to play.

My bud said he shut him down 2 of 3 rushes on his side lol, but if there was contact theyd all be fukt, haha.

"Pretty classy move if ya ask me."

virtanen.htm

Either you or your friend are %100 full of S&^t  

It would be a MAJOR violation of Jake's contract to step on the ice for ANYTHING non-Canucks related

Unless it's part of team conditioning these guys aren't allowed to even play Tennis during the season, all their physical activity is totally under team control, think about it, they pay someone millions and he goes and gets hurt in beer league? Could cost ownership millions, and the insurance they have to take out on these guys? Do you think for one second an insurance company would pay out for a pro athlete who was injured screwing around in a rec league game? Do you think Virtanen would put himself in a position like that? He steps on the ice with amateurs and every nobody (Like your "Friend") would be looking to take a shot so they could brag to their other loser buddies about it.

No, doesn't happen, and Jake isn't that stupid

Your lying 

4 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Either you or your friend are %100 full of S&^t  

It would be a MAJOR violation of Jake's contract to step on the ice for ANYTHING non-Canucks related

Unless it's part of team conditioning these guys aren't allowed to even play Tennis during the season, all their physical activity is totally under team control, think about it, they pay someone millions and he goes and gets hurt in beer league? Could cost ownership millions, and the insurance they have to take out on these guys? Do you think for one second an insurance company would pay out for a pro athlete who was injured screwing around in a rec league game? Do you think Virtanen would put himself in a position like that? He steps on the ice with amateurs and every nobody (Like your "Friend") would be looking to take a shot so they could brag to their other loser buddies about it.

No, doesn't happen, and Jake isn't that stupid

Your lying 

You sir have one idea what our you're talking about.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2715874?client=ms-android-samsung

Also be few years ago Subban pulled out surprise skate against a team I was playing against.

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toews said:

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/surprise-surprise-canucks-top-10-well-what-do-ya-know

How exactly was the staff unable to prepare him for the season when he showed up 5 days a week?

Put the knives away everyone!

There is a common misconception about physical fitness I will now clear up: People have vastly different capacities in reguards to cardiovascular conditioning. ZThat is to say you could take two guys who are the same height and weight, train them identically for 3 months, one guy would have improved %50 at the end and the other guy may only have improved %8. It doesn't mean the other uy is lazy or the training is bad.

You could also had guy A train %50 less than guy B and he STILL would have improved way more that guy B, I'm sure Jake busted ass this summer, but a lot of this stuff is in the genes, Jake may have reached his peak conditioning wise already, and is trying to strech beyond what his genetics will allow, It can be done, but it takes a lot more time. Some people are born with it, the Sedins, Linden too had incredible conditioning and i'm sure they worked hard, but don't crap on one guy who MUST have done all he could this summer.

And don't start giving Virtanen the "Vancouver" treatment, that ugly crap I had to listen to about Vey and whoever the guy was before that. call him out for what he deserves, but the whipping boy stuff is just poison. don't think it doesn't get back to the players when its bad enough because it DOES

11 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

You sir have one idea what our you're talking about.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2715874?client=ms-android-samsung

Also be few years ago Subban pulled out surprise skate against a team I was playing against.

That is dated July 23rd

Off season, 

You don't seriously think they are allowed to play beer league do you?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, terrible.dee said:

Put the knives away everyone!

There is a common misconception about physical fitness I will now clear up: People have vastly different capacities in reguards to cardiovascular conditioning. ZThat is to say you could take two guys who are the same height and weight, train them identically for 3 months, one guy would have improved %50 at the end and the other guy may only have improved %8. It doesn't mean the other uy is lazy or the training is bad.

You could also had guy A train %50 less than guy B and he STILL would have improved way more that guy B, I'm sure Jake busted ass this summer, but a lot of this stuff is in the genes, Jake may have reached his peak conditioning wise already, and is trying to strech beyond what his genetics will allow, It can be done, but it takes a lot more time. Some people are born with it, the Sedins, Linden too had incredible conditioning and i'm sure they worked hard, but don't crap on one guy who MUST have done all he could this summer.

And don't start giving Virtanen the "Vancouver" treatment, that ugly crap I had to listen to about Vey and whoever the guy was before that. call him out for what he deserves, but the whipping boy stuff is just poison. don't think it doesn't get back to the players when its bad enough because it DOES

Just to make it clear my blame was on the training staff. They had access to him 5 days a week for the entire summer. How exactly did they fail to get him in shape for the season? This is the second player now who is going through this.

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Jamie Benn showed up to our rink a few years ago in late August, he was in town for a stag party and our coach scheduled a little exhibition game against him and a bunch of other pro and former pro/junior players.  He was drunk as a skunk and could barely skate, easily could of gotten hurt.   He went on and scored 63 points with the Stars the next season.

AUGUST

AUGUST is OFF SEASON

C'mon guys seriously, just think about this for a second: Your an NHL team, you pay some guy millions, he comes up and asks you if he can play beer league......Ok? Say your an insurance company, you ensure sports contracts for millions, the team wants you to cover the salary of a player who is hurt beyond a large deductable' they tell you that in addition to league game he will also be playing beer league, do you cover him for the same price? HELL NO! If at all you charge WAY MORE, now your the team again, ARE YOU GOING TO PAY INSURANCE PREMIUMS OUT THE ASS SO A PLAYER CAN PLAY BEER LEAGUE?

There was a case several years ago, a Red Wings D-man had injured himself in a sleigh accident, the insurance company stated that it was not on the approved list of physical activity, there were lawsuits all around'

Seriously guys WTF