The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, terrible.dee said:

That is dated July 23rd

Off season, 

You don't seriously think they are allowed to play beer league do you?

There are many guys who play in summer leagues. Eichel and Vesey were in a league this summer with guys from major junior, college hockey and a few NHLers. Most NHL clubs respect a player's right to train the way they want in the off-season. Of course you are also expected to be a professional, not put yourself in dangerous situations and show up to camp in shape.

3 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Either you or your friend are %100 full of S&^t  

It would be a MAJOR violation of Jake's contract to step on the ice for ANYTHING non-Canucks related

Unless it's part of team conditioning these guys aren't allowed to even play Tennis during the season, all their physical activity is totally under team control, think about it, they pay someone millions and he goes and gets hurt in beer league? Could cost ownership millions, and the insurance they have to take out on these guys? Do you think for one second an insurance company would pay out for a pro athlete who was injured screwing around in a rec league game? Do you think Virtanen would put himself in a position like that? He steps on the ice with amateurs and every nobody (Like your "Friend") would be looking to take a shot so they could brag to their other loser buddies about it.

No, doesn't happen, and Jake isn't that stupid

Your lying 

lol...  this wasnt during the season...  this was July.  And no I have better things to do than make up stories and post them in this garbage dump full of losers like you.

That pic is my old buddy and Jake.  Though it was cool cause you dont see stuff like that every day.  Couldnt care less if you "believe it"...  Why even bother commenting on something so random from 3 months ago?

And my old buddy...  No he has integrity and also has FAR better things to do than make up stories about himself.  The pic is on his facebook account, so depending on privacy settings, idk who can see it and who cant.  Either way who the frack cares lol.

Edited by 70seven

3 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

AUGUST

AUGUST is OFF SEASON

C'mon guys seriously, just think about this for a second: Your an NHL team, you pay some guy millions, he comes up and asks you if he can play beer league......Ok? Say your an insurance company, you ensure sports contracts for millions, the team wants you to cover the salary of a player who is hurt beyond a large deductable' they tell you that in addition to league game he will also be playing beer league, do you cover him for the same price? HELL NO! If at all you charge WAY MORE, now your the team again, ARE YOU GOING TO PAY INSURANCE PREMIUMS OUT THE ASS SO A PLAYER CAN PLAY BEER LEAGUE?

There was a case several years ago, a Red Wings D-man had injured himself in a sleigh accident, the insurance company stated that it was not on the approved list of physical activity, there were lawsuits all around'

Seriously guys WTF

It's about the fans and community. Kane playing in the beer leagues is no different than what the players do for charity. These players still have lives and aren't the "drones" you seem to want to make them out to be. Not only that, but people have provided links and everything against what you've said while you've merely provided your opinion (while throwing your fist around like a drunkard I might add) on what they "should" do. If their playtime is limited by the team, then show us the link that proves it please.

Can their playtime with other sports be limited? Sure. However, considering they like to play soccer with each other a lot, I'm going to assume they aren't as limited as you may think.

Now, is this really something to develop an ulcer over from yelling at everyone on a forum?

Edited by The Lock

On 10/27/2016 at 7:53 AM, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. A change of towns and coaching. If maturing is needed better out of the limelite of Virtanen's home town. Lots of TOI without the ongoing critic of media and fans. I am surprised that Van does not have more movement between Utica and Canucks. Because of the huge weakness in talent depth the Canucks rushed CoHo,  Horvat, Virtanen and McCann to the NHL. It is roulette IMHO as to results. It truly threatens their careers.  There are fans who now call for Virtanen to play with the Twins! Absolutely the last thing that should happen. Gaunce is the poster child for proper development.   

Horvat wasn't rushed, he proved capable. Agreed on the others though.

20 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Either you or your friend are %100 full of S&^t  

It would be a MAJOR violation of Jake's contract to step on the ice for ANYTHING non-Canucks related

Unless it's part of team conditioning these guys aren't allowed to even play Tennis during the season, all their physical activity is totally under team control, think about it, they pay someone millions and he goes and gets hurt in beer league? Could cost ownership millions, and the insurance they have to take out on these guys? Do you think for one second an insurance company would pay out for a pro athlete who was injured screwing around in a rec league game? Do you think Virtanen would put himself in a position like that? He steps on the ice with amateurs and every nobody (Like your "Friend") would be looking to take a shot so they could brag to their other loser buddies about it.

No, doesn't happen, and Jake isn't that stupid

Your lying 

Sometimes you can be a real party pooper, why so glum chum? 

20 hours ago, Toews said:

Just to make it clear my blame was on the training staff. They had access to him 5 days a week for the entire summer. How exactly did they fail to get him in shape for the season? This is the second player now who is going through this.

Or maybe he listens to too much Bieber during his training and it is affecting his toughness. Or maybe he needs more tatts to prove he is a tough guy? 

Seriously though, Jake is being given the Kassian treatment right now, could be more mental than physical, because I have rarely seen him throw big hits this year. His performance as a leader in the WJC did nothing to show he has maturity to handle adversity, and he has not yet proven that here, as his media statements attest to. Hope this kid turns it around soon, all the tools but.....

1 hour ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Or maybe he listens to too much Bieber during his training and it is affecting his toughness. Or maybe he needs more tatts to prove he is a tough guy? 

Seriously though, Jake is being given the Kassian treatment right now, could be more mental than physical, because I have rarely seen him throw big hits this year. His performance as a leader in the WJC did nothing to show he has maturity to handle adversity, and he has not yet proven that here, as his media statements attest to. Hope this kid turns it around soon, all the tools but.....

hopefully not kassian 2.0. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

hopefully not kassian 2.0. 

TBH, I would love to have the Kassian version Oilers 3.0 right now :) He is playing like a beast, but then again he has confidence and the support of his teammates, unlike this organization. 

Prust and a 5th will always be a horrible trade, no matter how fans try to slice it. He seems to be in a great place right now, good for him I hope he does well. 

Too bad about Jake though, he has regressed from his rookie year, although I do not know what from..... at this point its just speculation, maybe we will find out what his issue is in the future, because that pick cost us big time. 

Anyone else feel he should be placed back on left wing?

Seems like that is his natural position and we should let him grow where he is comfortable, he was way more successful on the off-wing.

We should try him in Ovi's spot on the PP.. since nothing seems to be working lol..

At this point I'd rather Labate or Grenier than Virtanen playing less than 10 minutes a night. No point whatsoever. He gets one or two flubbed shots from the corner boards each game and that's about it. 

We are slowly but surely destroying this kid's development right in front of our own eyes by doing everything we've never done to a young kid before. We're not doing it do Boeser, Demko or Juolevi, so I'm not sure why we're doing it with Virtanen. He's not at the same level of Baertschi or Granlund and should therefore not be treated like those guys. Virtanen is a kid compared to Hutton and Horvat as well.

Send him down for at least a season, we've got Utica guys who could do a better job if not a very similar job and it gives Virtanen a chance to develop properly and gain some confidence which is most important.

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Anyone else feel he should be placed back on left wing?

Seems like that is his natural position and we should let him grow where he is comfortable, he was way more successful on the off-wing.

We should try him in Ovi's spot on the PP.. since nothing seems to be working lol..

Yup, with Horvat and either Hansen or Sutter.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter/Hansen

Baer, Granlund, Eriksson

Virtanen, Horvat, Hansen/Sutter

Burr, Gaunce, Dorsett

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

At this point I'd rather Labate or Grenier than Virtanen playing less than 10 minutes a night. No point whatsoever. He gets one or two flubbed shots from the corner boards each game and that's about it. 

We are slowly but surely destroying this kid's development right in front of our own eyes by doing everything we've never done to a young kid before. We're not doing it do Boeser, Demko or Juolevi, so I'm not sure why we're doing it with Virtanen. He's not at the same level of Baertschi or Granlund and should therefore not be treated like those guys. Virtanen is a kid compared to Hutton and Horvat as well.

Send him down for at least a season, we've got Utica guys who could do a better job if not a very similar job and it gives Virtanen a chance to develop properly and gain some confidence which is most important.

At some point, we're going to get pass that point. Hopefully he's not down on himself too much, but Willie isn't doing him any favors. 

this season, he's had, thus far, 1 point in 9 games. Career wise, so far, 14 points in 64 games played. 

Probably not going to be a point per game kind of player in the future. But I'm not blaming Jake either. Willie's use of him has been discouraging so far. Hopefully Jake gets on a roll soon, and plays better offensively. 

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed here yet, but interesting comments from Dave Tomlinson about Jake and an optional practice in Montreal this week.

Quite honestly, hearing this really concerns me and while it's very early in his career, it's the little things like this that distinguish between a decent player and a very good player, and really makes me wonder if Jake will ever be anything more than Kassian 2. 

Sorry for the mug shots but couldn't post this otherwise.

The bit on Virtanen starts at 23:30.

• Upvote 2