The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

His lackadaisical approach not only shows his immaturity, but also implies a lack of passion for the game.  Yes, I am worried a little worried.  I'm really not sure if sending him to Utica will change anything; could even make matters worse.

23 hours ago, higgyfan said:

His lackadaisical approach not only shows his immaturity, but also implies a lack of passion for the game.  Yes, I am worried a little worried.  I'm really not sure if sending him to Utica will change anything; could even make matters worse.

wrong selection then perhaps at number 6. until jake proves otherwise. 

so basically when you are struggling to get playing time.. almost the last guy on the ice and first guy off.. and people are wondering why the coach doesn't trust him or give him more ice time.. cdc bitching about tryamkin not willing to go for conditioning stint in utica and have no problem with Willie not dressing him in game.. but they are all over Willie for not playing Virtanen more when he's not even putting in the extra effort in practice.. hmmm

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Another invisible game

unfortunate. 

Jake's development I feel is being ruined. I don't think he's being handled the right way. 

Linden said that he has a set of skills that the team needs, but they really need him now? It's not like the team is going anywhere this season. They're not making the playoffs. and to be honest, I can't see them winning more than 2 games on this current road trip. 2-6 at best, 0-6 at worse, and them scoring three goals? Might be an anomally, rather than the norm. 

I'm hoping that Jake turns it around soon. Being compared to Nylander constantly must be just gut wrenching, especially seeing William's offensive success, and playing time. 

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so basically when you are struggling to get playing time.. almost the last guy on the ice and first guy off.. and people are wondering why the coach doesn't trust him or give him more ice time.. cdc bitching about tryamkin not willing to go for conditioning stint in utica and have no problem with Willie not dressing him in game.. but they are all over Willie for not playing Virtanen more when he's not even putting in the extra effort in practice.. hmmm

Couldnt agree more. Entitlement is not what we want Virtanen to learn. He needs to earn his time, just like Try did tonight.

Try's a good example, since he previously had no ice time, but worked his butt off.  Virtanen needs to look at a mirror and get some motivation.

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

unfortunate. 

Jake's development I feel is being ruined. I don't think he's being handled the right way. 

Linden said that he has a set of skills that the team needs, but they really need him now? It's not like the team is going anywhere this season. They're not making the playoffs. and to be honest, I can't see them winning more than 2 games on this current road trip. 2-6 at best, 0-6 at worse, and them scoring three goals? Might be an anomally, rather than the norm. 

I'm hoping that Jake turns it around soon. Being compared to Nylander constantly must be just gut wrenching, especially seeing William's offensive success, and playing time. 

Agree.

Jake does have the skills that the team needs but I almost never see him use those skills so it's same as not having those skills at all.

I only watched up to the second period today due to other engagement but did Virt do anything in the third? Especially as those stuffs were happening? I thought he would try to play physical and go for a big hit on someone but guess he didn't?

Comparing Jake to Nylander is stupid. They are different types of players but both of them need ice time to develop properly. Nylander got a lot of ice time early on (in the AHL and then now in the NHL), Jake didn't get much ice time in his rookie season and even now, due to management's stupidity.

Edited by khay
  • Upvote 1

Easy to see he has no confidence right now. He made a few nice plays with the puck last night, but overall he just looks like he's trying to play it too safe. Hard not to see the similarities between him and Kassian in the way that if they make a single mistake they sit and watch. Whatever happened to the notion of letting young players gain confidence by playing with little fear of sitting because of a mistake. He could play a little looser and try a few things. Also, wondering why when the bench was getting short and guys tossed, that Jake was still sitting and watching. Game's out of hand and lost, just roll everybody out there. Didn't look like he finally got out there till the last couple minutes.

1 hour ago, canucklehead80 said:

Easy to see he has no confidence right now. He made a few nice plays with the puck last night, but overall he just looks like he's trying to play it too safe. Hard not to see the similarities between him and Kassian in the way that if they make a single mistake they sit and watch. Whatever happened to the notion of letting young players gain confidence by playing with little fear of sitting because of a mistake. He could play a little looser and try a few things. Also, wondering why when the bench was getting short and guys tossed, that Jake was still sitting and watching. Game's out of hand and lost, just roll everybody out there. Didn't look like he finally got out there till the last couple minutes.

I agree to a degree but with the time he had last night I expected a physical game especially when the Laffers cranked it up. Virtanen could take some lessons from the Flamers Ferlund. He played a solid physical game to keep his ice and has now established an offensive game as well. I am starting to question Virtanen's health, particularly his shoulder. I still think he should go to Utica for at least a month.

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I agree to a degree but with the time he had last night I expected a physical game especially when the Laffers cranked it up. Virtanen could take some lessons from the Flamers Ferlund. He played a solid physical game to keep his ice and has now established an offensive game as well. I am starting to question Virtanen's health, particularly his shoulder. I still think he should go to Utica for at least a month.

He definitely should be laying the body much more. A little too much stick checking and curling off. If he's not going to get more time or use his best attributes to his advantage, he probably should head to Utica to get his game back. Wasn't onboard for an AHL stint to begin with, until his preseason injury, and am even more in favour of it at this point until he can show how valuable he can be on a regular basis.

I do agree that if he's not going to be scoring some goals he needs to be hitting everything in sight, maybe not as recklessly as we have seen Ferland do, but he does need to be a little more Ferland than Sven out there.

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

How many minutes did he play?

there were lots of people who said they'd rather have Virtanen up even if he only plays about 10mins a game because he'll be coached and the management can control his development, than him staying in the WHL because of the teams losing environment even though he would be able to play 18-20 mins.

So far he had develop a habit of dump and chase and coasting, and doesn't try any moves other than circle around the net with heads down while with us. I remember people argued that he'll develop bad habits if he stayed in the WHL that backfired very hard on Virts game developing

I saw flashes of speed and skill last night, but I think we can all agree he is not developing as we had hoped.  What is the answer?  What if he can't produce offensive at the AHL level?  I think the Canucks want to keep him close to have better control on his development.  They are trying to teach Jake the defensive game on the 4th line ala Kesler, Horvat.  He has had chances playing with Horvat and hasn't shown any dynamic offensive skill.

15 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I saw flashes of speed and skill last night, but I think we can all agree he is not developing as we had hoped.  What is the answer?  What if he can't produce offensive at the AHL level?  I think the Canucks want to keep him close to have better control on his development.  They are trying to teach Jake the defensive game on the 4th line ala Kesler, Horvat.  He has had chances playing with Horvat and hasn't shown any dynamic offensive skill.

He is not a 2-way player like those guys and this isn't a developmental league. If he honestly can't score better than he is now in the AHL then stick a fork in him.