The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I do agree that Virtanen should get some time in Utica - it just makes sense for a 20 year old who hasn't been able to get his footing in the NHL yet. He hasn't been bad but he hasn't wowed anyone to the point where its impossible to deny him a spot.

That said, I don't like how Virtanen constantly gets the short end of the stick while Skille, Burrows, and even Eriksson get a free pass. I'm sure you can't question their off ice work ethic since they're all seasoned veterans but in terms of on-ice ability, I trust Virtanen to help us win way more than Skille or Burrows. (I have faith Eriksson will get it together)

Perhaps the other players are wondering the same as you are?  That's how coaches lose rooms. Has WD lost his room?

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

This kid is a ghost.  At this point he should go to Alaska, not Utica.  I am not sure what the problem is though I doubt it's coaching.  Hearing him opt out of optional skates and going to concerts the night before means he just doesn't get it. 

Serious? 

I questioned his work ethic before, but if this is true maybe the Nucks are teaching him a lesson because he does not know how to be a pro. 

Worse still it was probably a Bieber concert. 

JB must not have checked the smarts on this kid. 

8 hours ago, Salter said:

Fun fact, Jake Virtanen hasn't been on the ice for a goal against so far through 10 games. He currently leads the team at the only postive +/- player at +1.

Not hard when you're not on the ice.

Send this kid down to Utica and lets try and salvage what little developmental progress we can from this train-wreck of a pick and management. Hopefully he can be a useful player in his late 20s but to get to that we need to go the long route of development and that starts with at least 40 games in Utica if not the entire season.

9 hours ago, Green Building said:

It begs the question: why is he still here? Not to rip on Jake any more but it needs dissecting. The coaching staff must feel like his best shot at climbing out of this funk is up here under supervision. I heard someone else mention on the radio that Jake is up here because the Canucks have no-one else to take his place. I don't accept that fir a second. Even if it were true it's no reason to keep someone around who is having a tough time cutting his teeth.  

Willie said today that Jake needs to develop.  I think Jake is beyond his depth.  He's physically there but not mentally.  I see a guy who is too easily discouraged.  Too easily put off by the chirping.  I don't see him chirp back.  I don't see him getting physical in the same way that he did before his suspension.  He was certainly given a talking to by the league.  Does he feel like he's an equal to the grown men he's playing against?   

The thing is, they wanted Jake to develop in the NHL because for one, he's physically up to it and two, they don't have another physical force in the forward group.  Who among the forward group is >200 lbs?  Horvat and Gaunce that's it.  

So they really want Jake to stay up and they're healthy scratching him as a wake up call.  They'll give him another shot to be the aggressive wrecking ball that they know he can be.  In in his heart though, if he feels like a boy against men,  he's not going to develop in this role.  No wake up calls or lecturing him are going to make a difference.  Until he feels like a man in this league, he needs to develop in Utica.  The main thing though, as Willie says, is that he develops.

• Upvote 2

Jake has skills and his maturation level is not where we were hoping it would be. I think Coach Green has a lot he can work with here. Too bad the rules kept him from Utica last year.( I think like Rodin were going to have to wait for Jake) He has to settle into the pro level game and the coaches system. Jake is also having trouble adjusting to the speed we're playing. I think it'll help him to learn first hand by doing (in Utica)  not sitting.

Add to that injury problems and the scoring drought,  it is just putting too much pressure on the second year rookie. He'll come round.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

Jake needs to be in Utica. Very common to need development. Last season he came back from a disapointing WJC and played much better. 

He needs to get some playing time and be the focus of the coaching staff and maybe the lack of pay and riding a bus playing against softer opposition is just the ticket. 

Whatever is happening now just seems like a waste of his potential. 

5 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Ehler's has woken up too. 11pts 14gp.

This whole situation isn't even frustrating me anymore, it's just depressing.

Steve Yzerman has only taken one draft prospect and put him in the NHL since he arrived at TB. All but one has gone through the AHL first. He did the same thing at Detroit.

It's not Willie's fault he is asked/told to play some rookies who are blatantly not ready for the NHL.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's not Jake, it's the style of play that they are trying to make him play. Let him play his strengths, stop trying to change him.

So you're a coach now. Congratulations.

Are his strengths mooning about, not getting involved and sliding off checks? He is actually taking the p-ss out of Willie and the fan base.

On 11/8/2016 at 2:03 AM, canuckledraggin said:

I said pretty much this in the Tryamkin thread. Willie D must be wondering what he has to do to get this kid sent down to the AHL. As others have theorized, he's either hurt or too scared as you say. I think he needs a new coach for a while. It seems as though there's a disconnect between Jake and WD. Somebody needs to tell him to keep his stick on the ice and skate like the wind. That's all he needs to do. Stop playing like a positional robot and go after the puck every once in a while.

His coach was Willie last season after the WJC was it not? - when he played some of his best hockey. I'm sure Willie and the other coaches are telling him all these things but it is starting to look like a "character thing" with Jake. If he is hurt ffs tell the coach and take a conditioning stint in Utica, 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Since when did a team model it's systems on one player? Is sliding off checks now JV's game? 

Ya, the system is awesome!  :lol:

On a serious note: Pratt and Bro Jake this morning were hinting JV has off ice issues that are affecting his on ice play.  The Canucks are keeping JV up, so they can keep a closer eye on his off ice habbits.  Why does stuff like this happen to our players? :(

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Ya, the system is awesome!  :lol:

On a serious note: Pratt and Bro Jake this morning were hinting JV has off ice issues that are affecting his on ice play.  The Canucks are keeping JV up, so they can keep a closer eye on his off ice habbits.  Why does stuff like this happen to our players? :(

I question this because it's coming from Pratt and the old geezer and as it sounds like a cheap ratings and click bait grab.

But if true, oh boy. It wouldn't necessarily shock me that some issue is there. I've always believed that drafting the home town kid is more of a curse than a blessing from the player. Just too much pressure to not let anyone down. The team, the teammates, the family, the friends...etc. Plus he can't get away from all of the crap generated by the local hacks.

I truly feel for the kid. But if the team is keeping him up here just so they can keep an eye on his off ice activities, that's quite disconcerting and not a good sign.  The longer this goes, the more appropriate the Kassian 2 label becomes, which only increases the pressure on him.

1 minute ago, MJDDawg said:

I question this because it's coming from Pratt and the old geezer and as it sounds like a cheap ratings and click bait grab.

But if true, oh boy. It wouldn't necessarily shock me that some issue is there. I've always believed that drafting the home town kid is more of a curse than a blessing from the player. Just too much pressure to not let anyone down. The team, the teammates, the family, the friends...etc. Plus he can't get away from all of the crap generated by the local hacks.

I truly feel for the kid. But if the team is keeping him up here just so they can keep an eye on his off ice activities, that's quite disconcerting and not a good sign.  The longer this goes, the more appropriate the Kassian 2 label becomes, which only increases the pressure on him.

Tony Gallagher said the JV off ice is more about his commitment to training and being a professional than Kassian stuff.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tony Gallagher said the JV off ice is more about his commitment to training and being a professional than Kassian stuff.  

Ah, that's comforting, I guess?

Still, troubling that this issue wasn't identified by our scouts with all their research leading into that draft. This potential misfire could be huge for this team for years.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • b3. unlocked this topic