The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

42 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

my guess is that Jake will get in another few games and will be sent down for a longer term look in Utica.

The team couldn't ship the kid's stuff?  There is something really fishy going on behind the scenes, that makes me :sick:

4 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

I picked out the paragraph below from todays Province Sports for a couple of reasons.

1. It shows the side of the Virt Plan that people seem to gloss over, which is that the coaches are trying to instill habits that will help Jake for the rest of his career. I like that the coaches are not handing him a roster spot. Notice any improved team play towards the end of the road trip after Jake was sent down? Coincidence?
  2. My worry is that when you read Jakes' comments, he still seems to be having issues understanding what is being asked of him, day in and day out, and not just on some shifts. The message from the coaches seems to be pretty clear in terms of needing a consistent work ethic from him every day. The fact that he still doesn't know what the plan is for him is disconcerting. And this is why I'm convinced he needs to be in Utica for a long spell. To get rid of this sense of entitlement and learn how to earn your spot everyday. Personal talks with guys like Burr and the twins aren't sinking in and only go so far. He needs to learn the lesson by going through it in Utica.

Anyhoot, enjoy:

Willie Desjardins likes certain parts of Virtanen’s game — size, skating and hitting — but consistently references inconsistencies in the sixth overall 2014 draft pick.

The coach liked how hard Virtanen practised Monday — and that’s a broad hint of what’s missing — but he wasn’t in the four-line mix. Virtanen won’t play Tuesday against the New York Rangers. Maybe Thursday against the Arizona Coyotes or Saturday against the Chicago Blackhawks. Or, maybe next week. Or not.

So, again, what is the plan?

“I don’t know yet,” said Virtanen. “I don’t know exactly what he (Desjardins) sees in his mind — but you have to be good every shift. I think that’s what he means. It’s stuff without the puck. It’s moving my feet, and that’s the one thing I learned in Utica.

Here's another take on the scenario. Jake goes to Utica for 2 games and in the 2nd game he looks like a power forward again.

"I sat down with Greener and he showed me some video" at about the 5:15 mark https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancouver/jake-virtanen-two-games-in-utica-got-my-speed-and-confidence-back

Am I really supposed to believe that nobody from the Canucks has sat down with the kid and shown him what he needs to be doing on the ice? Definitely makes me wonder.

Listen I understand he isn't going to win a spelling bee any time soon, but have you heard the stuff that comes out of Johnny Hockey's mouth when they put a mic in front of his face? And he went to College for a few years... 

It's Willies job to explain himself in a way that Jake understands. It's starting to get a bit ridiculous with JB and WD playing tether ball with Jake at this point.

6 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Honest question, why do you think that was as expected? A little shake-up yet not severe enough to keep him motivated?

It was planned that he'd only be down there for two games, so anything else would be surprising.

Spoiler

Someone help me out here. He couldn't stay in Utica, because, you know, "stuff". He can't play here, even though he showed a good game in Utica and a good practice. 

Q's:

Is Benning looking to trade him? 

Is this a battle between Willie and Benning? Willie can't send him down but as a coach he doesn't have to play him either.

Is Jake just not a bright kid? Or does he know he has Benning in his corner?

Whats the right way to understand the situation? I don't recall this at all and its shaping up to be Hodson-esque if it doesn't get resolved soon. 

21 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Someone help me out here. He couldn't stay in Utica, because, you know, "stuff". He can't play here, even though he showed a good game in Utica and a good practice. 

Q's:

Is Benning looking to trade him? 

Is this a battle between Willie and Benning? Willie can't send him down but as a coach he doesn't have to play him either.

Is Jake just not a bright kid? Or does he know he has Benning in his corner?

Whats the right way to understand the situation? I don't recall this at all and its shaping up to be Hodson-esque if it doesn't get resolved soon. 

Maybe it's all of the above?  Maybe JV, being such a large boy, will take years of hard work to get fit?  Is t it often much easier for lighter people to gain aerobic fitness than bigger ones?

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe it's all of the above?  Maybe JV, being such a large boy, will take years of hard work to get fit?  Is t it often much easier for lighter people to gain aerobic fitness than bigger ones?

So you mean all Jake needs is this?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I don't understand why everyone bothers pulling their hair out, speculating on what the problem is.  There is so much that goes on behind the scenes, we have no idea.  

Not freaking out, its just weird. If it was Chaput I wouldn't care but Jake could be having an impact by now. My worry is its all mental for Jake. I just hope he's not the next Cam Barker.

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Not freaking out, its just weird. If it was Chaput I wouldn't care but Jake could be having an impact by now. My worry is its all mental for Jake. I just hope he's not the next Cam Barker.

Cam Barker couldn't skate.

14 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Looks like a completely different player, but, you're right, cinpletely different league too.

Hard not to be excited seeing that potential.  Hopefully he decides (soon) he really wants it and gets his act together.  Seems to have come from a good family, so that's a big positive.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Hard not to be excited seeing that potential.  Hopefully he decides (soon) he really wants it and gets his act together.  Seems to have come from a good family, so that's a big positive.

Agreed.  In today's world, the family means everything.  

When end I heard stecher speak to irfan that first time I could tell he came from a good home too.

i was excited to have Jake as our pick.  I'm not impressed with his effort this year but I definitely am hoping for the best for his development.  He has the tools. There is no doubt there.

Bob Mckenzie has some interesting comments about Jake:

• If the Canucks want Kane, and we have every reason to believe as much, it's going to cost them more than Jake Virtanen. It would likely cost them one of their premier young defenders, which makes sense, given the Canucks strength in that area long-term and the Sabres need.
  • On a micro level, it's telling to some extent of how far Virtanen's star has fallen. Here we are, two years removed from the Canucks selecting Virtanen sixth overall, and they can't secure an oft-injured, generally unwanted and abusive top-six scorer with that player. It's not a glowing endorsement of what Virtanen brings as a player leaguewide. Or even what he could bring, for that matter.
  • Virtanen wasn't brought up solely regarding the Kane sweepstakes. McKenzie broached on Vancouver's plan for Virtanen "it doesn't look good from the outside looking in". McKenzie continued "I'm sure [Virtanen] is probably confused to some degree. Yet, at the same time, it's the national hockey league - they expect you to figure it out".
  • I don't know about the "elite pick" bit, but the rest makes sense. Virtanen isn't keeping pace with his peer group. Not even close. There are no less than seven forwards producing more in higher leverage roles from the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft. Count Jared McCann among them. That would be a difficult pill to swallow. Especially when the player in question doesn't feel they're afforded the opportunity to even show he can hang with his peer group.
  • "The [Canucks] have a lot invested in him". Mckenzie added "any elite pick - and he was an elite pick - doesn't like that notion of 'hey, I'm not where my peer group is, they're starring in the league right now, and I'm in Utica' if that's the case. Sometimes that's what it takes to deliver the wake-up call, to deliver the solid work ethic to go along with the tools that you've got".
  • McKenzie went on to add that maturity has come into question with Virtanen, saying "maybe [mental makeup, maturity and the ability to cope with adversity] aren't where his skating and skill level are at". 

Not much we didn't already know, but still interesting hearing from an outsider. 

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/11/15/bob-mckenzie-on-the-canucks-evander-kane-and-a-number-of-other-topics

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 2