The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Maybe it's just #ahldefence but he blew by them like they were standing still.  Certainly could have had 2-3 goals on the night.

Yeah, on that last play, his skating was clearly a league ahead of the d-men. Seeing these clips just makes me want him in Utica even more. He really looks like he could dominate, much like Baertschi did.

20 hours ago, Zhukini said:

He was spoonfed last year, and he's paying for it this year. Players of his type take longer to develop and the Nylanders and Ehlers of the world, but in the long run can be more effective. I think he'll get it eventually, but the Canucks aren't helping him in that regard

Small skilled forwards who need time to physically mature take less time to develop? I don't know about that one.

9 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Yeah, on that last play, his skating was clearly a league ahead of the d-men. Seeing these clips just makes me want him in Utica even more. He really looks like he could dominate, much like Baertschi did.

5 hours ago, Jonald said:

That last play was just ridiculous.

It's stuff like this that make me believe he needs to play atleast a season in Utica. We see that he's generating but the finish isn't there, and if the finish isn't there in the AHL, then it's not going to be there in the NHL. That in part is due to the fact that he was spoonfed last year and that he may have been a little rushed between the time he recovered from shoulder surgery to now. He hasn't had that feeling of scoring and putting up offensive numbers in awhile. His instincts are still somewhat there, but he needs to be in the minors to find them again. 

Fore example, on that last play where he blew by the those two defenders and missed (It looked like he outright shot the puck out of play without hitting the goalie), the old Jake Virtanen would have dropped his shoulder and cut in front of the net and tucked it far side. 

Goals #7,6,4,3,2 are all those types of plays, something that used to be his bread and butter. Knowing the power and speed his plays with now as a 20 year old, he should be able to do this atleast at the AHL level.

Edited by junglesniper

He was practically invisible last night.  Like he wasn't playing at all.

(he wasn't)

They are really going to simply give this kid away for nothing.  They'll claim it will be for a more established player but not once will they take ownership for literally not playing him.  This kid has everything going for him but the trust of a coach that would rather play a 4th line plug on the top 6 and career AHL players on the PP than a kid who was stated to have arguably the best shot and possibly near best skating of his draft year

It's ridiculous.  They'll toss this kid to the wayside and we'll do the exact same failure of a plan we do every single decade and question why we have no elite or quality youth in our organization.

Every decade we do this.  Get some interesting quality youth.  Toss it away for spare parts.  Barring 2000-2010 where we arguably didn't draft well at all (2003-2004 not withstanding) but were an elite team.  We've done it every decade since inception.

Trading or throwing away Jake without; and quote me on this, giving him any genuine chance at success is a recipe we've used before.  Look at all the stanley cup banners hanging in our building to see how successful that recipe has been

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You're getting pissed about something that hasn't happened and you have no evidence will happen. You're basing this on what? A history of completely different owners, players and managements...?

By all means, I think Virtanen should be in Utica. And as an only 20 year old potential power forward who notoriously take longer to 'figure it out' there is no shame in that. All the 'but Nylander is already producing' whining be damned.

People have every right to question why he's not in Utica right now, it's a fair question. All this other kvetching about his character, intelligence, how the Canucks are 'ruining him' or that we're planning to move him for peanuts is just a load of nonsense though.

CDC needs to collectively calm the @##$% down.

I'm sorry.  How am I getting pissed again?  Stop over generalizing or assuming what people are feeling or thinking based on statements.  I am merely pointing out current possibilities based off of historical facts and actions

We have 2 seasons of evidence with Virtanen showing this is EXACTLY what they are doing with him.  He is the most logical player in a trade right now if one is made.  And the logic the management group is making gives them that pass

We stated we were trying to make the playoffs, trading an unproven player for an established performer like Kane allows us to achieve that goal

We have a 40 year history of doing exactly this.  We have a management team that has done exactly this for 2+ seasons.  Trading youth and futures for established players to fill a supposed age gap.  We went from development to playoffs in 6 months.  Virtanen is buried on the 4th line, is buried in the press box is sent to Utica for 2 whole games then recalled and buried in the box again.  We have a coach that refuses to give this kid the trust he needs and now experts like Bobby Mack flat out saying ya this kids being misused and could be a trade chip.

If this management group was committed to developing him they would.  he'd be playing.  instead they're very very quiet when it comes to him.  Play 7 minutes, press box 2 games, Utica 2 games, recalled, press box, utica again....They're writing the book on how to screw up an asset

This isn't me being mad or pissed.  this isn't me making a knee jerk assumption.  This is me looking at ALL the variables and seeing the obvious.  If there is a trade made, you bet your duff that Virtanen is a major possibility because this is not a try league.  Benning has a history in Boston of being part of those questionable trades.  A history here and we have endless rumours of ownership stepping in making demands.

Yes I use historical precedence because this is a team that has a history of doing it.  Yes I use Benning as the example right now because he has a history of doing.  Stated goal is to make the playoffs yet we are dead last in numerous categories right now and the only thing keeping us from the #30 spot is the fact Arizona has played 3 less games than us.  

Quick question, name 1 animal prone to making rash decisions based on impending danger like no other.  Answer?  An NHL GM whose job is in danger.  At this stage.  It is hard to not see Willie D, benning and possibly even Linden on the hot seat and for good reason.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, skategal said:

Just saw the Canucks notice that he's been returned to Utica.  Also saw a comment a couple days ago from Bo regarding Jake's practice habits.  Not a good sign.  Hopefully he'll learn more about being a pro and the effort required. 

GOOD

Edited by J.R.

What the actual &^@#. Someone made a joke that JB and WD are playing tetherball with Jake, but they actually are now. We've given Jake a hard time for his play, his immaturity, but when are we going to put the majority of the blame on management. I personally feel like Jake's development has been hindered more on management than it has been Jake's fault. 

It goes back to last week when he was first sent down and JB came out and said that he'd be recalled after 2 games. That could have been the worst thing he could have said because we all wanted him in Utica for a indefinite period of time. That ends up being the end result but everything in between can't be healthy for an already mentally damaged 20 year old. Hopefully now things start to level out

Edited by junglesniper

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm sorry.  How am I getting pissed again?  Stop over generalizing or assuming what people are feeling or thinking based on statements.  I am merely pointing out current possibilities based off of historical facts and actions

We have 2 seasons of evidence with Virtanen showing this is EXACTLY what they are doing with him.  He is the most logical player in a trade right now if one is made.  And the logic the management group is making gives them that pass

We stated we were trying to make the playoffs, trading an unproven player for an established performer like Kane allows us to achieve that goal

We have a 40 year history of doing exactly this.  We have a management team that has done exactly this for 2+ seasons.  Trading youth and futures for established players to fill a supposed age gap.  We went from development to playoffs in 6 months.  Virtanen is buried on the 4th line, is buried in the press box is sent to Utica for 2 whole games then recalled and buried in the box again.  We have a coach that refuses to give this kid the trust he needs and now experts like Bobby Mack flat out saying ya this kids being misused and could be a trade chip.

If this management group was committed to developing him they would.  he'd be playing.  instead they're very very quiet when it comes to him.  Play 7 minutes, press box 2 games, Utica 2 games, recalled, press box, utica again....They're writing the book on how to screw up an asset

This isn't me being mad or pissed.  this isn't me making a knee jerk assumption.  This is me looking at ALL the variables and seeing the obvious.  If there is a trade made, you bet your duff that Virtanen is a major possibility because this is not a try league.  Benning has a history in Boston of being part of those questionable trades.  A history here and we have endless rumours of ownership stepping in making demands.

Yes I use historical precedence because this is a team that has a history of doing it.  Yes I use Benning as the example right now because he has a history of doing.  Stated goal is to make the playoffs yet we are dead last in numerous categories right now and the only thing keeping us from the #30 spot is the fact Arizona has played 3 less games than us.  

Quick question, name 1 animal prone to making rash decisions based on impending danger like no other.  Answer?  An NHL GM whose job is in danger.  At this stage.  It is hard to not see Willie D, benning and possibly even Linden on the hot seat and for good reason.

:frantic:

54 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You all wouldn't be so outraged and surprised if you would have just listened to me 2 years ago when I said Jake isn't that good and he's a meathead.  You see, I saw this coming, therefore I am completely at peace with the situation.   I didn't expect it to turn in to this much of a circus but the result is the same.  He will struggle this year in Utica especially because the team is so bad, he will likely need to start there again next season but I don't see that happening, cuz ticket sales and stuff.

Did you watch the highlights from his two games down there? Despite his pointlessness, he looked pretty dominant.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Yeah I was surprised how good he looked in that highlight package but he still has an immense amount of maturing to do.  He has teammates wide open at the side of the net and he just shoots it, his head is down and he has severe tunnel vision.  You can't be a one man show in the show

A valid point which I agree with completely. He definitely has maturing to do and indeed, he did seem to be pretty selfish in the  highlight reel. Hopefully he become a more team-oriented player instead of trying to single-handedly win games.

20 hours ago, skategal said:

Just saw the Canucks notice that he's been returned to Utica.  Also saw a comment a couple days ago from Bo regarding Jake's practice habits.  Not a good sign.  Hopefully he'll learn more about being a pro and the effort required. 

I missed Bo's comments. What did he say?