The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

14 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Really hope what I heard on HNIC tonight wasn't a fact... Don't want to see Virtanen traded for Kane... Kane is a cancer.

If Virtanen is traded, it should be for another young offensive prospect.

Someone like Alex Nylander?

14 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Funny seeing all the people come out of the woodwork now, saying they disliked the pick from the get go.  

0 goals in 19 AHL games.  He deflected that puck off his face for a goal last season in the NHL, you would think at some point he could get a similar break and somehow score a greasy one against some weaker competition?  

At least he got some shots on goal today but sacrificing his defensive play to "create some offense" resulted in a -2 rating...  On to the next one

He's not a miss.  He's 20.  Patience.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, RyIe said:

Someone like Alex Nylander?

Why would Buffalo do that?

Alex Nylander is a much better prospect than Virtanen. Virtanen doesn't have much value, something similar to Yakupov is probably what he'd fetch. He has disappointing everyone since his draft, GMs see he can't produce.

27 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Why would Buffalo do that?

Alex Nylander is a much better prospect than Virtanen. Virtanen doesn't have much value, something similar to Yakupov is probably what he'd fetch. He has disappointing everyone since his draft, GMs see he can't produce.

For about 20 or so games last January-February Jake was very effective and noticeable.  He will get there again. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

For about 20 or so games last January-February Jake was very effective and noticeable.  He will get there again. 

Maybe so but a player's value isn't going to reflect the player he was during his best stretch. His whole body of work will be considered and it doesn't look very appealing. Trading him now is just a huge mistake as no way will he return an asset like A. Nylander.

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

Maybe so but a player's value isn't going to reflect the player he was during his best stretch. His whole body of work will be considered and it doesn't look very appealing. Trading him now is just a huge mistake as no way will he return an asset like A. Nylander.

Young players are valued at their ceiling.  NHL scouts saw JV play to a high level, and his value will reflect that.  He's 20 not 25.  Whether it's equal to Alex Nylander, I'm not suggesting one way or the other.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And the the spin will be: "speeding up the rebuild by getting an already developed player in return". :sick:

Doesnt work... the organization has to develop the players from draft with the players developing together and growing up together. 

So that the bleed Canuck and their drive and will to sacrifice is strong. Like.. Toews/Kane/Keith/Seabrook, Crosby/Malkin/Fleury/Letang, Kopitar/Brown/Doughty/Quick. 

We had somewhat of a poor man's version with Horvat/Shinkaruk/Virtanen/McCann. But now we are trading them away for "developed" bandaids? Look again at the above examples and wave the cup goodbye. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Doesnt work... the organization has to develop the players from draft with the players developing together and growing up together. 

So that the bleed Canuck and their drive and will to sacrifice is strong. Like.. Toews/Kane/Keith/Seabrook, Crosby/Malkin/Fleury/Letang, Kopitar/Brown/Doughty/Quick. 

We had somewhat of a poor man's version with Horvat/Shinkaruk/Virtanen/McCann. But now we are trading them away for "developed" bandaids? Look again at the above examples and wave the cup goodbye. 

Bo bleeds blue for sure.  We need to wait on more young guys to follow.

27 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Should've gotten players with strong will power 

Jake was quoted saying that he doesn't know what he is doing in Utica or what the plan is, and that the Canucks haven't been communicating with him.

This despite all reports saying Jake would be getting extra attention down there from the coaching staff.

Im siding with management on this one

23 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Yet while we have a good player in Bo, a project in Jake, some promising prospects on the way in Boeser, Demko and Juolevi, for all the losing we've done the last four years and losing to come in the next few years, we still don't have that top class core of four as you've noted above, with no masked hero on the horizon.  

And while I'm trying to be patient with Jake and "the plan", management and ownership have little history of being patient themselves. They've already wasted two years of Jakes development and when I hear that the Sabres have scouts in Utica, it makes me feel very uneasy that another first round pick will be moved for an attempt at an quick fix. 

• Upvote 1

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  17m17 minutes ago

Jake Virtanen quotes courtesy of The Hockey News.

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  14m14 minutes ago

Virtanen on being sent to Utica: "I dunno what exactly (the plan is), they didn't really communicate with me as much." #Canucks

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  15m15 minutes ago

Virtanen on Desjardins' "stuff" comments: "I honestly have no idea, to be honest. I actually still don't understand that, really." #Canucks

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  16m16 minutes ago

Jake Virtanen on limited ice-time with VAN: "Honestly, I was just doing what I was told. I wasn't going to say much." #Canucks

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  14h14 hours ago

Elliotte Friedman: "I've been hearing that BUF has been watching Utica quite a bit. I don't know if that means they're looking at Virtanen."

Edited by Mackcanuck