The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

The problem was he was not the best player available at the time we drafted him, and now its showing. Alot of canucks fans were upset with the pick at the time and they are looking more and more right, especially for the vocal majority that wanted Nylander. Virtanen looks like he is trending down while guys like Nylander and Ehlers look like steals when we passed on them.

He's 20 and a potential power forward.

Those guys were always going to look 'ahead' for the first 4+ years after the draft.

Virtanen is very likely to look mediocre for another 2-3 years before he 'gets it'.

• Upvote 2

Just now, GoBoGo53 said:

The problem was he was not the best player available at the time we drafted him, and now its showing. Alot of canucks fans were upset with the pick at the time and they are looking more and more right, especially for the vocal majority that wanted Nylander. Virtanen looks like he is trending down while guys like Nylander and Ehlers look like steals when we passed on them.

why dont we wait before we say whos better? 

21 hours ago, Tystick said:

He'll be fine.

There's a reason he's not hitting guys anymore, I just wish I knew why, but there's a reason.

Once he starts using his strengths again he'll start putting up the points IMO.

Ok, I have a few guesses as to why he hasn't been hitting (cue the drumroll and cymbals):

• He's no longer playing for the Hitmen.
  • He has been hanging out too much with a guy whose hits have also been declining - Bieber.
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Ok, I have a few guesses as to why he hasn't been hitting (cue the drumroll and cymbals):

• He has been hanging out too much with a guy whose hits have also been declining - Bieber.

Beiber's on the incline man, 'Sorry' to break it to you.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

He threw some deadly hits last year. 

This year he backs off every time. Irritating af <_<

In one of his interviews this year, Jake said they watched lots of video with him last year and a lot of hits took him out of position and caused odd man rushes. So this year he's trying to pick his spots better but unfortunately that's half of his tool box. 

Thank god he's in Utica being molded by green finally. He needs to get the awesomeness Willie coached out of him back and come up smashing guys into next week.

The new system the Canucks are playing this year doesn't seem to gel well with Virtanen's playing style. Last year he was a Corsi monster and this year it's the opposite in a way. He's roughly the same player, but the system requires everyone to be working as a unit. Last year Jake could go on solo for checks, and create havoc, but this year he has been thinking way too much about positioning to contribute to the game. 

Hoping Green can help him get out of his own head, and just play the game. I don't think Willie's style of coaching lends itself to heavy hitters.

Still have always thought Virtanen would have been a Monster RD in the likes of Brent Burns. Super Fast, excellent mobility, Really hard shot and hits like a truck. Dreams though.

I'm not sure, but is Virtanen receiving his regular NHL pay cheque with the Comets or is he being payed the significantly lower AHL pay cheque while he is down there. My thoughts are once he starts missing the huge weekly pay cheques that he was receiving with the 'Nucks" that might be enough motivation for him to start throwing his body and being more physical.  Being broke is a helluva motivator.

Also, I believe that Jake tried to play the way he did in juniors when he first joined the Canucks. With his size and strength it was easy to be a tough guy in juniors. It seems to me the grown men in the NHL have let him know that there is a heavy price to be paid for playing a physical game, and he should be ready to drop the gloves if he continued to do so. What we're seeing is Jakes wilting to that reality against capable, hardened NHL players who aren't frightened to throw down with him.

Maybe missing a few paycheques will give him a little courage he may be lacking?

Edited by Mozymozy

6 minutes ago, Mozymozy said:

I'm not sure, but is Virtanen receiving his regular NHL pay cheque with the Comets or is he being payed the significantly lower AHL pay cheque while he is down there. My thoughts are that once he starts missing the huge weekly pay cheques that he was receiving with the 'bucks, that'@" be enough motivation to start throwing his body and being more physical.  Being broke is a helluva moticvator.

Also, I believe that Jake tried to play the way he did in junior when he first joined the Canucks. With his size and strength it was easy to be a tough guy in juniors. It seems to me he's now hesitant to be physical is the men in the NHL let him know in no u certain terms that there was a heavy price to be paid for playing a physical game, and he should be ready to drop the gloves if he continued to do so. I think what we're seeing is Jakes wilting to that reality against capable, hardened grown men.

But like I said above, maybe missing a few paycheques will give him a little courage he may be lacking?

His pay is cut from $895K in the NHL to $70K in the AHL

He did receive a signing bonus of $92.5K at the beginning of the season.

Edited by Mackcanuck

The plan for jake and he should be told by benning so it's crystal clear that he will be in Utica till seasons end, it's up to him to prove he shouldn't be there. 

He will either accept the challenge and become a better professional or be a bust with Cody hodgson like self entitlement. 

Edited by combover