The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

In one of his interviews this year, Jake said they watched lots of video with him last year and a lot of hits took him out of position and caused odd man rushes. So this year he's trying to pick his spots better but unfortunately that's half of his tool box. 

Thank god he's in Utica being molded by green finally. He needs to get the awesomeness Willie coached out of him back and come up smashing guys into next week.

The new system the Canucks are playing this year doesn't seem to gel well with Virtanen's playing style. Last year he was a Corsi monster and this year it's the opposite in a way. He's roughly the same player, but the system requires everyone to be working as a unit. Last year Jake could go on solo for checks, and create havoc, but this year he has been thinking way too much about positioning to contribute to the game. 

Hoping Green can help him get out of his own head, and just play the game. I don't think Willie's style of coaching lends itself to heavy hitters.

Still have always thought Virtanen would have been a Monster RD in the likes of Brent Burns. Super Fast, excellent mobility, Really hard shot and hits like a truck. Dreams though.

I'm not sure, but is Virtanen receiving his regular NHL pay cheque with the Comets or is he being payed the significantly lower AHL pay cheque while he is down there. My thoughts are once he starts missing the huge weekly pay cheques that he was receiving with the 'Nucks" that might be enough motivation for him to start throwing his body and being more physical.  Being broke is a helluva motivator.

Also, I believe that Jake tried to play the way he did in juniors when he first joined the Canucks. With his size and strength it was easy to be a tough guy in juniors. It seems to me the grown men in the NHL have let him know that there is a heavy price to be paid for playing a physical game, and he should be ready to drop the gloves if he continued to do so. What we're seeing is Jakes wilting to that reality against capable, hardened NHL players who aren't frightened to throw down with him.

Maybe missing a few paycheques will give him a little courage he may be lacking?

Edited by Mozymozy
6 minutes ago, Mozymozy said:

I'm not sure, but is Virtanen receiving his regular NHL pay cheque with the Comets or is he being payed the significantly lower AHL pay cheque while he is down there. My thoughts are that once he starts missing the huge weekly pay cheques that he was receiving with the 'bucks, that'@" be enough motivation to start throwing his body and being more physical.  Being broke is a helluva moticvator.

Also, I believe that Jake tried to play the way he did in junior when he first joined the Canucks. With his size and strength it was easy to be a tough guy in juniors. It seems to me he's now hesitant to be physical is the men in the NHL let him know in no u certain terms that there was a heavy price to be paid for playing a physical game, and he should be ready to drop the gloves if he continued to do so. I think what we're seeing is Jakes wilting to that reality against capable, hardened grown men.

But like I said above, maybe missing a few paycheques will give him a little courage he may be lacking?

His pay is cut from $895K in the NHL to $70K in the AHL

He did receive a signing bonus of $92.5K at the beginning of the season.

Edited by Mackcanuck
6 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

His pay is cut from $895K in the NHL to $70K in the AHL

He did receive a signing bonus of $92.5K at the beginning of the season.

I don't think Jake's challenge is about the money.

The plan for jake and he should be told by benning so it's crystal clear that he will be in Utica till seasons end, it's up to him to prove he shouldn't be there. 

He will either accept the challenge and become a better professional or be a bust with Cody hodgson like self entitlement. 

Edited by combover

Let's see if Jake misses playing at home and making the big bucks. 

Damn. Just realized Hunter Shinkaruk is doing better than Virtanen in both the NHL and AHL.

I am aware that Shink was drafted a year before Virtanen. But Jake really needs to pick it up or else he will be traded.

I just hope Virtanen has a beast inside of him ready to take over and BEAST-MODE it up.

Mathematically, 18>17. Therefore, Virtanen > Kesler.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Green⌃Arrow said:

Damn. Just realized Hunter Shinkaruk is doing better than Virtanen in both the NHL and AHL.

I am aware that Shink was drafted a year before Virtanen. But Jake really needs to pick it up or else he will be traded.

I just hope Virtanen has a beast inside of him ready to take over and BEAST-MODE it up.

Actually, shink is nearly 2 years older than Virtanen. Shink was a late birthday while virtanen missed the 2015 draft by a few weeks

15 hours ago, TheSnipeshow91 said:

He was pretty quite in the first two periods but started to turn it on in the third when the game was close. Made some promising rushes and looked physical out there.

Good to hear he's getting his groove back.

I'll have to catch the next game.

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Hope he starts putting up some points soon. 

I think they're in a bit of a 'need to tear him down to build him back up' phase in his development. 

Anyone expecting an overnight fix is going to be disappointed IMO.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Green⌃Arrow said:

Shinkaruk/Virt comparisons are irrelevant to this discussion. 

McDavid is a year younger than Virt - should we trade Virt because of that too? 

Edited by Fanuck
  • Upvote 3
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic