The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

43 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

What he does in his personal life is none of our business. But based on watching every interview he's had since being drafted, he says all the right things and does have the team's best interest at heart. Nice Roxy story; but at this point, that's all hearsay. The information you received from them was at best to a 3rd degree, its credibility is extremely low. Therefore making it just as unsubstantial as your alien reference. Just because you heard a couple things from some random bartenders/servers, doesn't mean he's a douchebag. 

To truly find out if someone is a douchebag, you need to determine that person's chill-to-pull ratio. If his chill ratio is significantly higher, he is all good.

And your source is his interview? lulz 

I'm sure his chill ratio is good tho

Jake Virtanen is a left winger. This is a big part of the problem. I remember when we tried to play Mogilny at left wing with Bure. Big fail. Mogilny was a true right winger even though he shot left.  Same with Naslund. I remember him playing left wing when he first came here but obviously he was a right winger as well. 

The thing with Jake is that he likes to shoot from his off wing. It's much harder for a goalie to stop a shot from a guy shooting from his off wing and it makes it easier for the shooter in case he wants to drive inside to the net. It's the same with soccer. Messi plays the right side and cuts in to the middle and shoots with his dominant left foot. Same with Ronaldo on the left side. Patrick Laine and Alex Ovechkin are two great examples of guys who shoot right and prefer to play on the left side. It's more prevalent for left hand shooters to play on the right side but there are some righties that like to play on the left. Jake is one of those guys.

Coaches don't like it because it's harder for the player to defend when they are back checking and when they are in their own zone. So that is why WD wants to play Jake on the right side. However I believe at the end of the day Jake should be permanently focused on playing the left side so he can fully reach his offensive potential. I hope Travis Green figures this out and plays him primarily on the left side. With Loui Eriksson preferring the right side and with Boeser coming into town next year it would be great it they could give Jake a real shot at playing the left side with the Canucks. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 3

Kind of sucks that he isn't playing 1st unit PP. You'd think that management would want its 6th overall pick getting ample opportunity to succeed. I get that he needs to earn his ice, even in the AHL, but he's surely better and a more important piece to your organization than Kunyk. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

My guess is he's gonna be down there for the rest of the season. He needs to gain his confidence back and work on his consistency.

hope he stays down there and helps Utica push for the Calder.  would definitely help Demko with the added offense and speed.  

Jakes speed is one of his biggest attributes. you don't normally see guys who are physical like him who can skate like the wind and shoot so Damn hard.

Nylander imo wasn't an impact player last night. he created some buzz and hype and if he isn't on the scoreboard he doesn't bring up.  Jake has size that can crumble players and straight ahead

speed that can force defensemen back. if Jake can be a little more agile and work on his side to side movements and stick handling in close... we may have a similar player too that of Jamie Benn.  it's a long shot but if he can add something other then just his north south game he will excel. he cut to the net well and changed lanes well in Jr.  let's see if he can do it in the a.

• Upvote 1

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:24 PM, Green Goblin said:

What he does in his personal life is none of our business. But based on watching every interview he's had since being drafted, he says all the right things and does have the team's best interest at heart. Nice Roxy story; but at this point, that's all hearsay. The information you received from them was at best to a 3rd degree, its credibility is extremely low. Therefore making it just as unsubstantial as your alien reference. Just because you heard a couple things from some random bartenders/servers, doesn't mean he's a douchebag. 

To truly find out if someone is a douchebag, you need to determine that person's chill-to-pull ratio. If his chill ratio is significantly higher, he is all good.

Look I am a Canucks fan as I am sure are all of you as well and I want this kid to help bring us the cup, that being said the bolded couldn't be more wrong.  Every word that comes out of his mouth lately is causing us fans and media to go 'wtf?'  He doesn't know what the team wants from him?  Really?  He doesn't understand why he was sent for a short stint in the AHL?  He doesn't understand what 'stuff' he needed?  He is coming across as either an entitled brat or a complete moron.  He needs to put up and shut up in the minors and hopefully get his derailed career on the right track.  I am pulling for this kid and I think it's 50/50 right now on him either becoming a bonafide top 6 forward or a complete bust.

23 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Look I am a Canucks fan as I am sure are all of you as well and I want this kid to help bring us the cup, that being said the bolded couldn't be more wrong.  Every word that comes out of his mouth lately is causing us fans and media to go 'wtf?'  He doesn't know what the team wants from him?  Really?  He doesn't understand why he was sent for a short stint in the AHL?  He doesn't understand what 'stuff' he needed?  He is coming across as either an entitled brat or a complete moron.  He needs to put up and shut up in the minors and hopefully get his derailed career on the right track.  I am pulling for this kid and I think it's 50/50 right now on him either becoming a bonafide top 6 forward or a complete bust.

Most teams use video as a coaching tool.  If Jake is confused what aspects (specifically) he is supposed to work on, and expressing frustration, then maybe our coaches are not exposing things in a way he can understand - like video?

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Most teams use video as a coaching tool.  If Jake is confused what aspects (specifically) he is supposed to work on, and expressing frustration, then maybe our coaches are not exposing things in a way he can understand - like video?

Yeah or maybe they drafted a kid that can't skate and chew gum at the same time.  Only time will tell I suppose.

Just now, Tre Mac said:

Yeah or maybe they drafted a kid that can't skate and chew gum at the same time.  Only time will tell I suppose.

Do WD or JB impress as "up to date with newest methods" kind of guys?  I'm wondering if they would teach swimming by tossing the kid's into the deep end, and think their job is done?

On 12/3/2016 at 0:11 AM, Drakrami said:

Why are you dinosaurs comparing today's NHL to 10 years ago... Today's top prospects make an impact almost immediately after draft year. And 30 year old players are already considered to be in decline. 

Please show us this long list of 18-20 year old power forwards that weren't taken top 3, making huge impacts on their teams.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do WD or JB impress as "up to date with newest methods" kind of guys?  I'm wondering if they would teach swimming by tossing the kid's into the deep end, and think their job is done?

I've coached volleyball at a high level for 10 years now. Every coach is different, some coaches are old school some are cutting edge.  I've worked with both.  In the end its really up to the player.  Every player can learn something from each coach they have.  However some players do not like a coach and choose not to take anything out of their experience with that coach.  Whether Benning or WD are old or new school guys Jake can learn from them if he decides to take their input to heart.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Please show us this long list of 18-20 year old power forwards that weren't taken top 3, making huge impacts on their teams.

1. Im sure u woulda googled it yourself beforehand to avoid embarrassing yourself/prove your point.

2. Thanks for inserting extra, unneeded criteria yourself which was not even mentioned in my post like "huge impact", non top 3, 18-20" years old. Didnt make a difference though, list is still big. lol... I guess this sidehand was what gave you the confidence not to do 1).... Fail. 

Sam Bennett, William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers, Dylan Larkin, Robby Fabbri, David Pastrnak, Nikita Tryamkin, Brayden Point, Viktor Arvidsson, Mitch Marner, Noah Hanifin, Ivan Provorov, Zach Werenski, Mikko Rantanen, Travis Konecny, Sebastian Aho, Brandon Carlo , Matthew Tkachuk, 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Sorry, how many of those guys are PWF's....?

Where in my original comment did I mention any of this? Are you sure you are able to communicate on an acceptable rational level? Or do you just like read between the lines and blurt out stuff? 

On 12/3/2016 at 6:07 AM, shattenkirk8 said:

Watching this makes me wish even more that Virt can learn how to develop into a consistent professional. He looks like he has the makings of a dominant NHL'er, in this play he reminds me of Owen Nolan.

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Where in my original comment did I mention any of this? Are you sure you are able to communicate on an acceptable rational level? Or do you just like read between the lines and blurt out stuff? 

You didn't. I did. That's kind of the point.

Ignoring context to confirm your own biases doesn't lend itself to a good discussion or learning anything.

How many 18 year old goalies do you see in the NHL?

30 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You didn't. I did. That's kind of the point.

Ignoring context to confirm your own biases doesn't lend itself to a good discussion or learning anything.

How many 18 year old goalies do you see in the NHL?

He's not just ignoring context, he's having a completely separate discussion

On 12/1/2016 at 9:11 PM, Caknuckle Puck said:

I'm getting a Virtanen jersey :), yes well lucky I'm patient with prospects unlike %90 canuck fans 

I think 90% of the Canucks fans are angry at JB for not being patient enough with JV. The Canucks fans that you are referring to, the ones that constantly complain, "should have drafted Nylander (or Ehlers)," are really only about 10% of the fans.

Virtanen will spend this season and probably even start the next season in the AHL. Then, he will join the Canucks and be a key component of the team. At the moment, he needs ice time and maturity to handle the evil Vancouver (Canadian) hockey media in a better way.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, khay said:

I think 90% of the Canucks fans are angry at JB for not being patient enough with JV. The Canucks fans that you are referring to, the ones that constantly complain, "should have drafted Nylander (or Ehlers)," are really only about 10% of the fans.

Virtanen will spend this season and probably even start the next season in the AHL. Then, he will join the Canucks and be a key component of the team. At the moment, he needs ice time and maturity to handle the evil Vancouver (Canadian) hockey media in a better way.

One of 2 scenarios likely happened last year:

1.  Jake played with the Canucks which was a case of misreading his maturity level and that he would grow into an NHL role, or
  2.  They wanted him to be under the direct control of the Canucks group which mean't playing with the big club because he could not play in Utica.

Either way, sending him to Utica this year is being patient.  I give Benning credit for not making a decision and stubbornly sticking with it.  He saw that playing with the Canucks wasn't working for Jake and sent him to Utica.  Virtanens long term development must be front and centre.

• Upvote 2