The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

One of 2 scenarios likely happened last year:

1.  Jake played with the Canucks which was a case of misreading his maturity level and that he would grow into an NHL role, or
  2.  They wanted him to be under the direct control of the Canucks group which mean't playing with the big club because he could not play in Utica.

Either way, sending him to Utica this year is being patient.  I give Benning credit for not making a decision and stubbornly sticking with it.  He saw that playing with the Canucks wasn't working for Jake and sent him to Utica.  Virtanens long term development must be front and centre.

totally agree that Jake in Utica is the right call. He should play at least till spring before he gets a recall for a game or two. Still hoping Utica makes playoffs and Virtanen can play there then. Would not be surprised to see some collegiate players go pro in time for the Calder. Highly probable that Boeser goes pro at that time.

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

One of 2 scenarios likely happened last year:

1.  Jake played with the Canucks which was a case of misreading his maturity level and that he would grow into an NHL role, or
  2.  They wanted him to be under the direct control of the Canucks group which mean't playing with the big club because he could not play in Utica.

Either way, sending him to Utica this year is being patient.  I give Benning credit for not making a decision and stubbornly sticking with it.  He saw that playing with the Canucks wasn't working for Jake and sent him to Utica.  Virtanens long term development must be front and centre.

I think JB had no choice but to send him down. Willie just flat out ignored JV.  Remember the whole "he's here to pick up his stuff" debacle?

One way or the other, they came to the right decision.

5 hours ago, khay said:

I think JB had no choice but to send him down. Willie just flat out ignored JV.  Remember the whole "he's here to pick up his stuff" debacle?

One way or the other, they came to the right decision.

Who knows.  Willie might have been trying to be funny.  Much was made of the comment but I don't think it meant anything at all.

There was no real reason for Virtanen to come back.  The 3 managers Linden, Benning and Dejardins had to get together to make the final decision on Jake (I guess but couldn't they have just held a conference call?)

On 12/5/2016 at 10:33 AM, stuman491 said:

I've coached volleyball at a high level for 10 years now. Every coach is different, some coaches are old school some are cutting edge.  I've worked with both.  In the end its really up to the player.  Every player can learn something from each coach they have.  However some players do not like a coach and choose not to take anything out of their experience with that coach.  Whether Benning or WD are old or new school guys Jake can learn from them if he decides to take their input to heart.

Pretty much it.  And some take time before they really get the discipline side of things.  Ask me how I know this lol

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2016 at 10:20 AM, Rush17 said:

hope he stays down there and helps Utica push for the Calder.  would definitely help Demko with the added offense and speed.  

Jakes speed is one of his biggest attributes. you don't normally see guys who are physical like him who can skate like the wind and shoot so Damn hard.

Nylander imo wasn't an impact player last night. he created some buzz and hype and if he isn't on the scoreboard he doesn't bring up.  Jake has size that can crumble players and straight ahead

speed that can force defensemen back. if Jake can be a little more agile and work on his side to side movements and stick handling in close... we may have a similar player too that of Jamie Benn.  it's a long shot but if he can add something other then just his north south game he will excel. he cut to the net well and changed lanes well in Jr.  let's see if he can do it in the a.

yeah. i agree. the only question is if he can put it all together. he's got all the tools, but can he actually use them all at once

once he demonstrates he can, on a regular basis, he'd have earn his ice time with the big club. until then, let him simmer, and get better. force him to earn everything, since it felt and seemed like he was entitled to things when he was with the Canucks. Jake genuinely seems like a good kid, with a strong family and parents. I can't see how he doesn't eventually mature, and gets his game together. once he does, nobody's going to remember Will Nylander, or Ehlers, or whoever. If he doesn't get his game together..well.....we're talking bust for years....Cam Neely? Noooo....it'll be talks of Stojanov all over again....and guess where Stojanov was drafted? 7th overall in the '91 draft class....

I am desperately hoping that Jake doesn't bust....he's got time on his side, for now...

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Looking more like the player he was in junior. 

Amazing what having confidence and having a coach that plays you and lets you make mistakes can do.

Not necessarily a good thing. Not taking away from the goal, but in the videos I've seen of him in Utica so far and as this video shows, he insists on playing the perimeter game instead of crashing the net with the puck and creating havoc. I really hope we start to see that in his game.

Edited by MJDDawg

1 minute ago, MJDDawg said:

Not necessarily a good thing. Not taking away from the goal, but in the videos I've seen of him in Utica so far and as this video shows, he insists on playing the perimeter game instead of crashing the net with the puck and creating havoc. I really hope we start to see that in his game.

Baby steps. 

Start with putting the puck in the net again, then he can worry about getting back to being a physical presence. We need him to be a goal scorer first and foremost.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah. i agree. the only question is if he can put it all together. he's got all the tools, but can he actually use them all at once

once he demonstrates he can, on a regular basis, he'd have earn his ice time with the big club. until then, let him simmer, and get better. force him to earn everything, since it felt and seemed like he was entitled to things when he was with the Canucks. Jake genuinely seems like a good kid, with a strong family and parents. I can't see how he doesn't eventually mature, and gets his game together. once he does, nobody's going to remember Will Nylander, or Ehlers, or whoever. If he doesn't get his game together..well.....we're talking bust for years....Cam Neely? Noooo....it'll be talks of Stojanov all over again....and guess where Stojanov was drafted? 7th overall in the '91 draft class....

I am desperately hoping that Jake doesn't bust....he's got time on his side, for now...

Power forwards usually start  to make a jump in their play/development around 22-24. 

IMO he's got too many tools and has the right attitude to not be at the very least a solid middle 6 guy. Top 6 if he reaches his ceiling.  

People just shouldn't be surprised/disappointed not to see it for another 2-4 years.

Patience. 

Unfortunately, that likely means a LOT more Nylander/Ehlers bitching for the next few years :lol:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Looking more like the player he was in junior. 

Amazing what having confidence and having a coach that plays you and lets you make mistakes can do.

That what the AHL is for (at least that is one thing it is for). And that in one reason why Jake is better off there this year than he was with the big team.

Still hate the decision to keep him with the Canucks last year instead of sending him back to junior.

• Upvote 1