The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Power forwards usually start  to make a jump in their play/development around 22-24. 

IMO he's got too many tools and has the right attitude to not be at the very least a solid middle 6 guy. Top 6 if he reaches his ceiling.  

People just shouldn't be surprised/disappointed not to see it for another 2-4 years.

Patience. 

Unfortunately, that likely means a LOT more Nylander/Ehlers bitching for the next few years :lol:

the worst he can be is a 3rd line checking winger, who plays with speed hits, and has a decent shot.    He can make the most of what he has, which is a devastating hitter.

• Upvote 3

I really believe that Virtanen's improvement (and success) will be up to him alone.  It's a matter of attitude not being gifted an "opportunity" to play.

Jake's improvement will come when he realizes that he needs to work his butt off both on and off the ice.  He may also have to learn different tactics like give and go's to be successful at the highest level.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, JamesB said:

That what the AHL is for (at least that is one thing it is for). And that in one reason why Jake is better off there this year than he was with the big team.

Still hate the decision to keep him with the Canucks last year instead of sending him back to junior.

I'm certainly happy Jake's in Utica working on his game but feel like him spending last year with the Canucks will ultimately be a blessing for him because he'll be able to use the experience as a barometer to where he needs to be as an NHLer, and what he'll be up against when he finally gets back to that level.  The NHL is a mans league physically.  The expectations of Jake are to play a physical game against men, when he's not yet a man himself.  I think 2 years in Utica and Jake'll be a very important player for us. We just need to be patient with him.

• Upvote 1

On December 8, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Harvey Spector said:

Another goal on the left side. His first shot on the right side was saved but he came around the net and got that quick release off on the left side and top shelf. 

Jake is a left winger. Looks so much more comfortable on the left side. I hope he stays down in Utica all year long and plays predominately on the left side. He has so much potential and raw ability. Not to mention we could very much use his 225 pound frame to lay out some big hits on the opposition. 

Many of us have been advocating this. Jake is the bruising Left Winger we need. Now the team needs to be patient with him, until he makes it impossible to deny him NHL minutes. 

What Jake was missing was hunger in his play.  Hopefully he finds it. 

Gotta wonder on another note how hard it would be to jump to the NHL as a 19 y/o playing on his weak side, the eye test and his offense seems to indicate that he is way more comfortable on the left side. 

EW

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, firestorm238 said:

Yeah I agree - I feel like Willie has been keeping him at RW to help him feel more comfortable not realizing that he's actually way more comfortable at LW. 

Think WD used the 'it's harder to backcheck on your offwing' bit as to why he likes him at RW but I can't confirm that.

• Upvote 1

I think its entirely possible Jake suffers from Yakupov-itis. Just a kid who's gotten by on raw talent and physical characteristics alone and has never actually had to conform to systemic approaches.

The Blues are literally trying to rewire the way Yak thinks the game right now to help him out. That's probably the mission Travis Green's beem given as well. If so we need Virtanen down there for at least 2 years.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I think its entirely possible Jake suffers from Yakupov-itis. Just a kid who's gotten by on raw talent and physical characteristics alone and has never actually had to conform to systemic approaches.

The Blues are literally trying to rewire the way Yak thinks the game right now to help him out. That's probably the mission Travis Green's beem given as well. If so we need Virtanen down there for at least 2 years.

You can say that, he was a king as a teenager, especially going 1st overall in the bantam draft.

My brother from another mother played with him pre-WHL, and against him in the WHL. He had some interesting things to say, but hopefully Jake can grow up and put in a honest and serious effort.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, b3. said:

You can say that, he was a king as a teenager, especially going 1st overall in the bantam draft.

My brother from another mother played with him pre-WHL, and against him in the WHL. He had some interesting things to say, but hopefully Jake can grow up and put in a honest and serious effort.

Any tidbits you can share?

3 hours ago, b3. said:

Well, my brother from another planet knows someone who played with JV, and he says...

come on, seriously?  You CLEARLY have it in for our prospect, and I actually take offence to your post, suggesting negative things like that about Jake without any SUBSTANTIATION.  

• Upvote 1

He's far better on his off wing and I agree with most of you that he should play on the left wing if Willie lets him play there and figure it out. He's been doing well as of late and honestly it's only a matter of time till he's back in the big club. Probably next season. He needs to consistently post some points so JB can think about calling him back up again.