The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Tonight there was a perfect example of why the powerplay is failing. Sutter was alone in the slot tapping his stick for a shot and Henrik cycles it along the boards to the D instead.

Amazing that professionals can fail to realize where the vast majority of goals are scored from. Maybe they need to be shown a shot chart of all their goals to wake them up.

And the coach refusing to try Virtanen on the left wing when that's where he's scored the majority of his goals throughout his career. 

They want a big right hand shot on the power play, yet never tried Virtanen on the left point or half boards where he loves to snipe from. They don't even put Stecher on the left side where he can rip one timers from. I honestly don't know what goes through our coaches heads sometimes. Sami salo anyone? Played left point.....

Edited by Erik Karlsson

9 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Is it strange to think that having him play in the NHL first was a good thing? Gave him a sense of humility and made him realize that it wasn't his god given right to be a successful hockey player?

He looks driven now. The off wing suits him well too.

Not at all strange, the fact is not all kids can be Bo.  Some need that tough love to get to the next level. 

34 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Is it strange to think that having him play in the NHL first was a good thing? Gave him a sense of humility and made him realize that it wasn't his god given right to be a successful hockey player?

He looks driven now. The off wing suits him well too.

Interesting take. But maybe your not wrong. 

He's got a bit of a reputation, trying to show him right from the beginning what it will take maybe wasn't such a bad thing after all. As long as the message really did get through to him that is. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

I think I recall the reason he wasn't sent back to Juniors last year was because management was concerned he wasn't going to get the quality ice time with the Hitmen he needed to develop. And only other choice was keeping him in the NHL, and at least the Canucks can keep an eye on his training, eating, etc.

5 minutes ago, CanuckMan10 said:

I'm surprised no one has posted this today yet. Had a snipe. I'm glad he's getting his confidence back. When he comes back up I hope he plays left wing where he seems much more comfortable getting that shot off. He looks like he's playing for the hitmen again.

It's the second post on this page

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

is he hitting people?

I tuned in here and there tonight and Virtanen is simply focusing on scoring. I don't think I've seen him hit at all but then again I've seen probably one whole periods worth of the game since I was also watching the nucks game. 

On the PP, he goes straight to the net and parks himself there. He's very strong and nudges off defenders easily. He's absolutely fast even at 225lbs. In terms of position, he's been where he's needed to be. Going to the dirty areas although he still sometimes floats and waits for the puck to come to him rather than him going for the puck but other than that he's looked quite good out there. 6 points in 13gps, 6 in his last 7 I believe, and 4 goals in 4 straight games, he's got the hot hand for sure.

• Upvote 1