The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Tonight there was a perfect example of why the powerplay is failing. Sutter was alone in the slot tapping his stick for a shot and Henrik cycles it along the boards to the D instead.

Amazing that professionals can fail to realize where the vast majority of goals are scored from. Maybe they need to be shown a shot chart of all their goals to wake them up.

Im sure Ovi will give them an example tonight. 

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Tonight there was a perfect example of why the powerplay is failing. Sutter was alone in the slot tapping his stick for a shot and Henrik cycles it along the boards to the D instead.

Amazing that professionals can fail to realize where the vast majority of goals are scored from. Maybe they need to be shown a shot chart of all their goals to wake them up.

Our powerplay needs to change.

i watched the philly game where schenn scored 3 powerplay goals.

they set up similar to ours, with simmonds in front , schenn in the slot, wingers out wide and one dman back, but the excecution is the difference. Every player shoots, and every play has a quick purpose, they get multiple chances per shift. None of that sedins just going to take the puck in the corner for a little dippsy doodle with no play in mind.

hopefully jake can be a trigger man next year for us.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is JV the kind of player who needs to play with an arrogant swagger to be at his best?  I like that he has a bit of Kessler in him.  

I see that too, and thats hard for 19 year old to have when hes first starting in the nhl. You want him to have that arrogant idgaf attitude.

• Upvote 2

If Virtanen can finish out the year strong in Utica and come to camp ready next year along with Boeser and hopefully a top 5 pick this summer, next year could be quite exciting. 

Canucks still have a few years to go before they get really competitive but I'd rather watch young guys with upside battle than washed up ufas battling 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Conscience said:

I see that too, and thats hard for 19 year old to have when hes first starting in the nhl. You want him to have that arrogant idgaf attitude.

That is a huge leap for a 19 y/o. When he came in last year, he started it all out by putting McDavid on his ass at the Young Stars tourney. A ballsy thing to do, hen he got to camp and could not get on the right side of Willie, and was placed in a defensive assignment on his weak side. For an offensive player, it would be tough.

Then that goof from NJ took him down. Jake lost his swagger. He will be a target on the ice and had little or no back up.  Build up his confidence by giving him AHL minutes. He can dominate and hopefully that translates to the NHL. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

If Virtanen can take the offseason seriously, I think he could surprise us next year.

From the sounds of it he took last offseason very seriously. Working with the trainers ever day for two months.

Unfortunately one offseason isn't gonna make too much difference if he had poor habits previously. Hopefully he gets how hard he has to work now though. No sitting around playing video games with your friends and eating McDonald's.

Edited by DeNiro

A playmaking offensive forward like Nico Hischier in this upcoming draft is just the type of player Virtanen needs. 

I'd drool all over if a Virtanen/Hischier/Boeser line becomes a reality. So much potential. 

Virtanen/Hischier/Boeser

Blank/Horvat/Blank

• Upvote 3

Those are the kinds of quotes we need to hear from the kid.  I'm much encouraged by the positive way he's responded to being moved to Utica, it's exactly what you want to hear to prove he's getting the right message.  Maybe T Green moves up to the NHL next season.  Lots of assets on the Canucks roster that could use a guy that can squeeze production out of them.

• Upvote 2

On 12/9/2016 at 10:02 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Not uncommon.  Someone else on here had said they went to school or such with Sam Reinhart in Cranbrook and he was the same way.  They're all kids, remember.

I teach high school and have taught a number of hockey players over the years.  The ones that made it to the show were pretty humble hard working kids that let their actions speak for themselves.  Some of the Junior B guys that never went any further often had very high opinions of themselves.  My brother used to hang out with some pro hockey players back in the 80s or 90s and some of them were complete douches, but I suppose that's true for every line of work really.

58 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Ok can it be more clear? He hates WD and WD hates him, pretty simple. As long as WD is here, Jake's going to be in Utica or playing 4th line minutes and getting yelled at (I saw WD yelling at Jake multiple times off camera!)