The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

8 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

Being away from his local buddies and hitting the hot spots around town probably did wonders for his recent performance too.

Yup, he's most likely getting more fit, and able to play more effective minutes.  Excellent point.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

Being away from his local buddies and hitting the hot spots around town probably did wonders for his recent performance too.

Couldn't agree more.

On 12/14/2016 at 9:27 AM, J.R. said:

Yup, away from the fish bowl media, away from an NHL salary and notoriety and the temptation to the ego those things can fuel. Just playing hockey and actually having time to learn and practice. I wish we could have sent him to Utica last year.

7 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

For personal reasons I'd rather he was in Van too, when he's on his game he's a beauty to watch. But the last time he was here he was only getting 8-12 minutes a night and was getting iced with the fourth line. Until there's room for him in the top six and PP2, keep in him in Utica and let him develop his goal scoring instincts again. We really need him to develop into a top six threat and he's not going to get that opportunity in Vancouver this year.

He is on a conditioning stint I believe.

8 hours ago, two drink minimum said:

Why are we trading Tanev?

My view on Tanev is that in around 4+ years when we're hopefully contending again, he'll be exiting his prime. He also gets rag-dolled too hard and too often for my liking and I'm concerned that starts catching up to him sooner than later (perhaps it already is). Then there's his NTC that kicks in this summer and that he currently is valued pretty high by the analytics community and off his performance at the world's. If we're going to maximize return on him, it's this year before July 1 IMO.

That and we're going to have to start moving him and yes, eventually Edler in the next couple years as the Hutton's, Stetcher's, Juolevi's, Brisebois etc start pushing for roles and minutes. There's simply not enough room for all of them.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

My view on Tanev is that in around 4+ years when we're hopefully contending again, he'll be exiting his prime. He also gets rag-dolled too hard and too often for my liking and I'm concerned that starts catching up to him sooner than later (perhaps it already is). Then there's his NTC that kicks in this summer and that he currently is valued pretty high by the analytics community and off his performance at the world's. If we're going to maximize return on him, it's this year before July 1 IMO.

That and we're going to have to start moving him and yes, eventually Edler in the next couple years as the Hutton's, Stetcher's, Juolevi's, Brisebois etc start pushing for roles and minutes. There's simply not enough room for all of them.

Pretty much agree with you. I admit I have not seen enough of Briosbois to have a good enough feel. Tanev this year and Edler within 2 years. That said I have wondered and advocated a Edler role with 20 TOI. It might extend his play and improve it for several years. Still the young depth allows moving Edler for forward assets. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Pretty much agree with you. I admit I have not seen enough of Briosbois to have a good enough feel. Tanev this year and Edler within 2 years. That said I have wondered and advocated a Edler role with 20 TOI. It might extend his play and improve it for several years. Still the young depth allows moving Edler for forward assets. 

Yeah Ideally, over the next couple years you role back Edler to a lesser role/minutes as other guys earn more minutes. Less PP/PK time as Stetcher, Hutton, maybe Tryamkin etc develop Juolevi comes on board etc. And hopefully, eventually, move him for more picks/prospects in his last year.

Brisebois actually plays a lot like Tanev but with a bit more offense IMO. He's also an inch taller and almost the same weight at only 19. Clearly he won't be as polished as Tanev at this level yet (that'll be a good few years away) but he projects well IMO. Great skater, sees the ice well, patient, moves the puck well. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah Ideally, over the next couple years you role back Edler to a lesser role/minutes as other guys earn more minutes. Less PP/PK time as Stetcher, Hutton, maybe Tryamkin etc develop Juolevi comes on board etc. And hopefully, eventually, move him for more picks/prospects in his last year.

Brisebois actually plays a lot like Tanev but with a bit more offense IMO. He's also an inch taller and almost the same weight at only 19. Clearly he won't be as polished as Tanev at this level yet (that'll be a good few years away) but he projects well IMO. Great skater, sees the ice well, patient, moves the puck well. 

Devil's advocate here- wouldn't it be a good idea to keep Tanev around for Brisebois' development? He seems like the perfect guy to mentor Brise and show him the ropes.

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Devil's advocate here- wouldn't it be a good idea to keep Tanev around for Brisebois' development? He seems like the perfect guy to mentor Brise and show him the ropes.

I think it's a case of, 'you can't have everything'.

We need to move a D for a top 6 forward this summer IMO. That part of the lineup HAS to progress beyond 'just' Boeser.

We also need to move a D to ensure a permanent role/playing time for guys like Tryamkin.

Other than Edler (who has an NTC, 2 additional years and partners well with Stetcher and would be far more complicated to move, hence less value), Tanev's the only guy with value to get a top 6 forward. Sbisa, particularly with expansion would be lucky to fetch a 3rd, maybe a 2nd.

IMO, keeping Sbisa, adding a 'Domi' or similar (and likely a pick if we move one of Baer/Granlund/Rodin with him as well) is better than keeping Tanev, not progressing the forward group, losing Sbisa in expansion for nothing etc.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

My view on Tanev is that in around 4+ years when we're hopefully contending again, he'll be exiting his prime. He also gets rag-dolled too hard and too often for my liking and I'm concerned that starts catching up to him sooner than later (perhaps it already is). Then there's his NTC that kicks in this summer and that he currently is valued pretty high by the analytics community and off his performance at the world's. If we're going to maximize return on him, it's this year before July 1 IMO before TDL hopefully. 

I've never really subscribed to the 'tank' theory whatsoever, but this year, if we're out of contention at the TDL - I wouldn't mind seeing some turnover on the roster.  Edler, Tanev, Burr, Hansen, Miller, Sbisa - all of these guys will have varying degrees of usefulness to contending teams and management should be actively engaged in discussions with said contending teams.  Get what you can for these guys - exactly what they're each worth is a discussion for another time/thread.  Heck, if Loui is open to waiving his NTC - JB should be listening to offers for him as well - I think the Swedish connection experiment has proven to be mediocre at best unfortunately. 

16 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I've never really subscribed to the 'tank' theory whatsoever, but this year, if we're out of contention at the TDL - I wouldn't mind seeing some turnover on the roster.  Edler, Tanev, Burr, Hansen, Miller, Sbisa - all of these guys will have varying degrees of usefulness to contending teams and management should be actively engaged in discussions with said contending teams.  Get what you can for these guys - exactly what they're each worth is a discussion for another time/thread.  Heck, if Loui is open to waiving his NTC - JB should be listening to offers for him as well - I think the Swedish connection experiment has proven to be mediocre at best unfortunately. 

TDL would work too but I think for optics, and that the other team might prefer to wait until summer as well, it may not happen until then.

Don't see Edler being moved yet but Miller and Burr are certainly possibilities, particularly if they'd like to pursue playoffs.

Hansen and Sbisa we sell next year IMO. Edler the year following. I'd actually move very little this year given values will be down with the expansion draft looming.

LE wasn't brought here for a 'Swedish connection experiment'. At least not solely/largely.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

TDL would work too but I think for optics, and that the other team might prefer to wait until summer as well, it may not happen until then.

Don't see Edler being moved yet but Miller and Burr are certainly possibilities, particularly if they'd like to pursue playoffs.

Hansen and Sbisa we sell next year IMO. Edler the year following. I'd actually move very little this year given values will be down with the expansion draft looming.

LE wasn't brought here for a 'Swedish connection experiment'. At least not solely/largely.

While the caveat is always what is coming back in any deal I would move Edler before Sbisa for the same reason I move Tanev first. Edler will have more value next year although the NTC is a problem. In any event by the TDL this spring we will have almost an entire year for evaluation. Your LE comment is bang on.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

While the caveat is always what is coming back in any deal I would move Edler before Sbisa for the same reason I move Tanev first. Edler will have more value next year although the NTC is a problem. In any event by the TDL this spring we will have almost an entire year for evaluation. Your LE comment is bang on.

We very well could re-sign Sbisa rather than moving him next year but if we're moving him, it's not until the 2018 TDL IMO was more my point. (Unless none of this happens and we lose him in expansion.)

Still, we're going to HAVE to move at least 2 those 3 guys in the next 2-3 years to make room for Tryamkin, Stetcher, Brisebois, Juolevi, Pedan etc

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Pedan might be another traded at TDL and Subban  but depends on what teams want

Pedan's value is rock bottom right now. He has shown he can't make it in the NHL and so far isn't looking good in Utica either. Subban would at least have value as an AHL star player with a slim chance at making the NHL still.

17 hours ago, Qwags said:

It's nice to see Virtanen get back into a groove, even if it's only been a few games.

It is great.

I just hope they are patient and keep him there all year unless a coaching change is made and Green is brought up and brings Virt with him.

Jake seems to be picking up some good habits in Utica. Scoring, forechecking, responsible in his own end. He seems to be having fun and getting confidence from what the Utica reports say. 

My opinion of Green has improved dramatically as he seems to be getting Cassels, Pedan and Jake to turn the corner. Once again though I'm just not sure Subban will ever be a really great d-man. However I think it's time to see what he can do on the wing. (Sorry if I sound like a broken record over that.)

• Upvote 2