The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Just heard an interview with Travis Green on 1040..it was quite illuminating...There's just so much that Jake has to learn,but he's enthusiastic about the process..and working hard at it..

As predicted,his conditioning was not up to snuff (I thought the Canuck training staff were keeping an eye on him last off season.?.apparently not)...but he's coming along now.

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Just heard an interview with Travis Green on 1040..it was quite illuminating...There's just so much that Jake has to learn,but he's enthusiastic about the process..and working hard at it..

As predicted,his conditioning was not up to snuff (I thought the Canuck training staff were keeping an eye on him last off season.?.apparently not)...but he's coming along now.

I liked what he said about Rodin as well, but it was no surprise when he said that other than Rodin and Baertschi Utica hasn't had any players with elite skill level capable of dominating (he used a different word but that was the gist) the AHL. We know this as fans, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing to hear Greene mention it.

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Jake's diet apparently was an issue too.  I think it was Hansen last season who made a comment about Jake's eating habits?

I'm glad that Jake is thriving in Utica. He desperately need to grow  in both his game and personal maturity. Utica and Green seem to be doing wonders for him. He really needs to spend the entire year there and help Utica make a run at the playoffs. 

I must also add that it's not surprising that Utica is so much better for him than Van. He was in over his head and seemed to lose focus of what it took to be an NHL player and pretty much everyone saw it. I'm glad the team finally realized that it was best for him.

4 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

My experience in the gym is that the trainer I work with can keep an eye on me, develop a program for me to follow, but I'm the one who has to put the work in.  I wonder if that was Jake's issue, not knowing how hard he needed to work to develop NHL level fitness.  I listened to the interview as well, Green was asked to speculate on whether Jake had not learned enough in Jr because he was such a strong skater and wasn't physically challenged in Jr.  Green sort of dodged the question by saying he hadn't seen Jake in Jr but he supposed it was possible.  He commented that a lot of kids coming out of Jr struggle to translate to the grind of being a pro, there are so many small nuances that they need to learn.  

One comment he made about Jake was getting him to work harder, showing him video where he might have glided in the last 30 feet on a forecheck and helping him understand that if he skated hard all the way he'd get there so much faster and be quicker on the forecheck and/or be able to get a good hit in.  

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah but your trainer doesn't have a multi million dollar investment in you.  If they worked with Jake everyday and he wasn't showing any improvement you would think they would say "Umm excuse me, Jake, these habits need to stop or you will be in the minors to start the season"  but instead they did this.. "Hey Jake your fitness hasn't improved at all for some reason so we're gonna start you in the NHL even though you are nowhere near ready".

6th overall pick turned in to a long term project.  This is the type of player you take in the 2nd round and you hope him and his brain can figure it out.  We passed on elite talent for a guy who is just now realizing that he needs to work hard...Just typical Canucks failing at life.  

Settle down it will be OK. What's done is done.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah but your trainer doesn't have a multi million dollar investment in you.  If they worked with Jake everyday and he wasn't showing any improvement you would think they would say "Umm excuse me, Jake, these habits need to stop or you will be in the minors to start the season"  but instead they did this.. "Hey Jake your fitness hasn't improved at all for some reason so we're gonna start you in the NHL even though you are nowhere near ready".

6th overall pick turned in to a long term project.  This is the type of player you take in the 2nd round and you hope him and his brain can figure it out.  We passed on elite talent for a guy who is just now realizing that he needs to work hard...Just typical Canucks failing at life.  

Whatever man, he's turning a corner and you can't let him have it because you're too busy being hurt over Nylander. Leave it alone.

• Upvote 2

Desjardins gets far more media questions/interviews here than Green would in Utica. Green didn't really say anything so specific anyway: getting better, confidence rising, would have had trouble a few weeks ago with conditioning, making a conscious effort to push himself, grind on him daily about his habits, see improvements. That sounds pretty similar to the platitudes we often hear in pro sports interviews.

• Upvote 2

It was good to listen to the Greene interview.  I agree that maybe we need to chill a bit on Jake.  I would hardly say though that he has become a long term project because he is spending some time in the "A".  Even William Nylander spent most of last season with Toronto's farm team.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dpn1 said:

It was good to listen to the Greene interview.  I agree that maybe we need to chill a bit on Jake.  I would hardly say though that he has become a long term project because he is spending some time in the "A".  Even William Nylander spent most of last season with Toronto's farm team.

Getzlaf and Perry both have said their year in the AHL was a huge bonus in there development. I suspect it will be for Jake as well. Fans should not forget that this is the first year Virtanen is eligible for AHL play.  

On 19/12/2016 at 9:16 PM, TheRussianRocket. said:

yeah its very true.  Willie is said to be a good communicator.  but I think he says it in a round about way.  greener seems to be able to articulate it more clear and concisely.   he will one day be a very good nhl coach.