The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

I think coaching is the #1 factor with Jake. Green seems to have already been able to spot the flaws and holes in his game and he has been able to transform his play in a relatively short period of time. It's a difficult thing for Willie D to do without dedicating an unusual amount of time into just coaching Jake. 

The differences in Jake's game now are: footspeed, positioning and puckhandling and likely conditioning. All of those things are a function of coaching to an extent, because Green plays a different style than the trap game that Willie likes. Green's style is overload and puck pursuit so that a players feet are always moving and it works well with all of the lunchbucket type players that he has in Utica.

His puckhandling is the one biggest change that I see though. He is skating with the puck and using his speed for zone entries to back off defenses. I'd like to see him work on his playmaking, because he does throw nice passes, but he's content to use his shot most of the time. He's developing nicely at the AHL level.

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I've watched most of the Utica games since Jake went down, and there has been marked improvement in his puck possession.  He carries the puck, showing really good hands while at speed.  I didn't realize he had that kind of skill.  Maybe freedom to make a mistake has relaxed him?

Thanks for information about how Jake is playing in Utica. All I have seen are highlights, written comments and stats from the games. It certainly sounds like progress.

One more theory about Jake (or at least a slight variant on existing theories). Nothing against Jake, but he is not the smartest or most mature prospect (not like the Sedins were, or Horvat, Stecher and Boeser are). I think that all the different input at the big league level (media, coaches, fans, other players) probably confuses him. The coaches cannot take a lot of time with him and one mistake in a game and he sits on the bench for a period. (And gets hammered in the media.) Guys like Horvat and Stecher are smart enough and mature enough to put that in perspective. Jake isn't. So Alf's theory that it helps to without worrying about making a mistake is probably a good one.

I also like the point made by @canuckledraggin that Green's style might be a better fit. It is probably more fun to play a game that relies more on speed and puck persuit, and that also plays to Virtanen's strengths.

I am still not converted to being a "Virtanen optimist" but maybe he can develop to the point where he can genuinely help the team next year or the year after.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I've watched most of the Utica games since Jake went down, and there has been marked improvement in his puck possession.  He carries the puck, showing really good hands while at speed.  I didn't realize he had that kind of skill.  Maybe freedom to make a mistake has relaxed him?

I don't care. 

On 2016-12-22 at 2:53 AM, smokes said:

He's been inconsistant this year. In the eyes of Canuck fans he's the second coming of Linden but in the NHL, he's average.

he has similarities to Linden. but he ain't Linden. Bo's coming to his own. he's still very young. but for someone so young who's playing so well even if it's inconsistent. well. gotta give credit where credit is due. 

if Bo is average in the eyes of the NHL. then why were there reports last year that Tampa wanted Bo for Drouin? he's a good player that Bo. and he's only going to get better. he's mature beyond his years. 

8 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

To be honest I've only watched clips of his play and read about it since he's been in Utica.  However I have a hard time believing that he developed these skills in a month. I think it has more to do with coaching. Not that WD is a bad coach. Like you said he is a better coach for virtanens style. 

Mostly that there's actually time for coaching (and practice) in the AHL that simply does not exist at the NHL level.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Not great numbers but he got off to a slow start. When Horvat had a conditioning stint in the A he didn't score much either. This kid is the type where one day the light bulb will just turn on. Like Sid said he has all the talent. He just needs to put it all together and that comes with maturity and proper development. Green looks like he's doing a good job with him so far. 

Guess we will find out. That's what everyone said about Kassian when he was a rookie 

20 hours ago, JamesB said:

Maybe Virtanen will come around, but I don't think the transition will be easy. Normal maturing with age will help a bit but what you need is the unwavering determination that you see from guys like Horvat and Stecher.

This, 

Hard work and dedication are the great equalizer

They make 4th liners into second liners (Burrows)

And first liners into AHL players (Jake)

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

he has similarities to Linden. but he ain't Linden. Bo's coming to his own. he's still very young. but for someone so young who's playing so well even if it's inconsistent. well. gotta give credit where credit is due. 

if Bo is average in the eyes of the NHL. then why were there reports last year that Tampa wanted Bo for Drouin? he's a good player that Bo. and he's only going to get better. he's mature beyond his years. 

Because the Canucks really don't have anyone else to offer except Bo. And even with an offer like that, the Lightning kept Drouin instead of trying to hammer out something with Benning.

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

Mostly that there's actually time for coaching (and practice) in the AHL that simply does not exist at the NHL level.

You are exactly right IMO. The AHL is mostly a weekend league. Practice time is a big advantage. Combine that with video and players should get a real grounding in what they have to do. Love that Green is a coach with a long NHL career which a rookie should respect.

The amount of practice time is the main reason I would never want to see the Canuck AHL franchise moved west.   

2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

gets me excited how good he can be if he applied himself more consistently and what his game could look like when he matures and has sky high confidence in his own game. definitely has a shot to be a 20 goal scorer in the NHL without a doubt. and his speed makes him difficult to defend. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

gets me excited how good he can be if he applied himself more consistently and what his game could look like when he matures and has sky high confidence in his own game. definitely has a shot to be a 20 goal scorer in the NHL without a doubt. and his speed makes him difficult to defend. 

Definitely, He's got all the tools, now all he needs is the correct tutelage. 

14 hours ago, smokes said:

Because the Canucks really don't have anyone else to offer except Bo. And even with an offer like that, the Lightning kept Drouin instead of trying to hammer out something with Benning.

You are implying that JB offered to trade Bo. That seems extremely unlikely. Do you have some information that this is true, or are you just trolling as usual?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

You are implying that JB offered to trade Bo. That seems extremely unlikely. Do you have some information that this is true, or are you just trolling as usual?

I'm replying to the Nazzy who said there were reports of Bo for Drouin. I'm saying There were those reports because the Canucks really don't have anyone else to trade if they want Drouin. Tampa would never do that deal.