The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

The inconsistency comes from a lack of discipline, hockey IQ  and poor work ethic.   I would rather he lack skill and have those 3 characteristics, not the other way around.  

perhaps this is the reason why so many fans are discouraged at jake. 

8 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

The inconsistency comes from a lack of discipline, hockey IQ  and poor work ethic.   I would rather he lack skill and have those 3 characteristics, not the other way around.  

Discipline and work ethic come on, No one in today's age makes it to the level these kids do without both. Sorry Jake did not have it easy, because he had skill only.  He worked just as hard as any kid that makes the NHL.  I will agree his hockey IQ is not elite, but it higher than most believe it is.

• Upvote 1

On January 1, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I occasionally slum on HF boards, but it is a toxic sespool of haters. Our trolls are timid and reasonable compared to what exisists there. I have read posts from Bad Goalie before and don't find them revealing or insightful.  He/she sounds like a bitter hater of most things Canucks from my POV.   Bad Goalie is not a source I would depend on for player evaluations. IMO

The problem with these boards is the fact that any criticism or critique of certain fan-adored players garners this kind of insight and tags posters with the "hater" or "bitter" tag.

I find his posts insightful and thoughtful. Unlike 99% of posters on here who claim to know about Jake's progress, he actually watches the Utica games.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

What the hell do you call the bold part of your post, if your are not labeling him a bust. Come on kid  (I can see you are only 25 years old) learn some patience. I have seen Jake play many times he is inconsistent with his play, some games he looked like the best player on the ice(Juniors) others games he looked bored on the ice. The skill is there he needs time to learn how to use it at the pro level.  As for the Comets games he is learning and looking better little by little. I can not help it if your eye can not pick up on that. Maybe when you have been watching the game for another 20+ years you will.      

All these blanket statements make me believe you've yet to watch a Utica game (or Hitmen game) with him in it.

8 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Maybe Bartkowskis mom was referring to Jake on that mothers road trip last year...where she said everyone was great except for that little 18 year old.( I know Jake isnt little but it could of been a term for young)..we all assumed it was McCann....who knows..

I don't remember that Shaky.

What could he have possibly said or done to want to make another player's mom make that comment?  

4 hours ago, guntrix said:

The problem with these boards is the fact that any criticism or critique of certain fan-adored players garners this kind of insight and tags posters with the "hater" or "bitter" tag.

I find his posts insightful and thoughtful. Unlike 99% of posters on here who claim to know about Jake's progress, he actually watches the Utica games.

What does Bad Goalie say about Jake?

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

What could he have possibly said or done to want to make another player's mom make that comment?  

It was probably McCann he comes off a bit "Keslerish" Jaje might have a few issues but I've met him and he's a nice kid I don't think she was talking about Jake if this is even legit.

Have a look at Zack Kassian, maybe shoehorning people into categories is the problem. Zack seemed to try and play a skilled style, when management and coaches wanted him to be a power forward. Zack will probably never be a Cam Neely, or Todd Bertuzzi. But he can be a useful forward that gets you 20-30 points a year. 

If Virt plays physical, creates space and gets 30-40 points a year in a couple of years I'll be more than happy. I just want him to be a big physical forward, that is hard to contain, and smashes people into the boards, and gets points. Jake needs to just be the best player Jake can be. Not worry about labels. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

It was probably McCann he comes off a bit "Keslerish" Jaje might have a few issues but I've met him and he's a nice kid I don't think she was talking about Jake if this is even legit.

She did say it, on air. The recording is probably somewhere on the internet. 

Like what Shaky said, we believe she was referring to McCann. She didn't mention a name, just 'that 18 year old kid'.

55 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Like what Shaky said, we believe she was referring to McCann. She didn't mention a name, just 'that 18 year old kid'.

Ya, that comment was directed at McCann.  It was Hansen's comment about Jake's eating habits I was getting at.  Does anyone remember Hansen's exact words?  

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  14m14 minutes ago

Green says lots of focus on Virtanen, they talk about him a lot but they are not basing his game on points. #Canucks

Green : "Jake will improve his over-all game, his physicality, his conditioning but I'm happy with the direction he's going. " #Canucks

Green on Jake Virtanen's 7 points : "We need him to score and want him to score but we also want him to play a complete game." #Canucks

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

It just came out of the blue when asked how the trip was going...no names were mentioned...yes..Im sure you can find it on the net somewhere.

I think mama Bart was pretty much loaded that whole trip so loose tongues....lol

Edited by ShakyWalton

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ya, that comment was directed at McCann.  It was Hansen's comment about Jake's eating habits I was getting at.  Does anyone remember Hansen's exact words?  

I thought he just cracked a joke about hot dogs or something?  I don't remember it being that big of a deal at the time.

10 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

I thought he just cracked a joke about hot dogs or something?  I don't remember it being that big of a deal at the time.

Was that it?  Oh.  There is all the discussion about Jake's weight, and lack of fitness, I thought it strange Hansen said something about the kid's eating habits.  

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

2 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

42 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

It just came out of the blue when asked how the trip was going...no names were mentioned...yes..Im sure you can find it on the net somewhere.

I think mama Bart was pretty much loaded that whole trip so loose tongues....lol

When you read the quote, she was responding to a question about whether she's met the twins.  It actually doesn't come across as negative towards Jared (or Jake) at all. It's more like she's trying to be funny.

“I had to touch them both twice because I’ve been a fan of them for years and years and years. They’re hockey royalty.

I said to (Matt) ‘Are they nice guys?’ He goes, ‘Mom, they’re the nicest guys in the world.’ They are truly the nicest guys you’ll ever want to meet.

“Every guy on the team is the nicest guy on the team, oh my God, except for that little 19-year-old (the little 19-year-old she was referring to must be Jared McCann). What’s his name? Oh shoot, I was chasing him at breakfast today. My son has Flat Stanley. Do you guys do Flat Stanley, the third-grade book report thing?  He goes, ‘I know Flat Stanley.’ I said, ‘Yeah, that’s because you did it last year!'”

As Shaky noted, she'd probably just finished her 9:00 am gin & tonic.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/02/canucks-beth-bartkowski-mom/

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was that it?  Oh.  There is all the discussion about Jake's weight, and lack of fitness, I thought it strange Hansen said something about the kid's eating habits.  

Could have been something different, but I remember it being around the time they filmed that video of Jake and a couple of the Canucks going around new york.  There was a shot of him eating a hotdog from a street vendor, and I think Hansen brought it up as a joke in an interview later on.  I could be way off, but that's how I remember it going down give or take.

• Upvote 1