The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On January 3, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Have a look at Zack Kassian, maybe shoehorning people into categories is the problem. Zack seemed to try and play a skilled style, when management and coaches wanted him to be a power forward. Zack will probably never be a Cam Neely, or Todd Bertuzzi. But he can be a useful forward that gets you 20-30 points a year. 

If Virt plays physical, creates space and gets 30-40 points a year in a couple of years I'll be more than happy. I just want him to be a big physical forward, that is hard to contain, and smashes people into the boards, and gets points. Jake needs to just be the best player Jake can be. Not worry about labels. 

My expectations are similar as yours, but I'm expecting him to be getting about 30 goals a year in 2-3 years playing in the top line and causing the other team to commit penalties.

I can't blame the Canucks for picking Virtanen. If he became great and we picked someone else it would haunt us as he is the hometown boy. 

I was was on the Ritchie bandwagon with Ehlers being my second choice. Ehlers and Ritchie both seemed like they could be complete busts vs Jake who had the size, physicality, speed, and raw skill to at least be a decent bottom 6 player .

Jake's offense has suffered immensely since being drafted. He shouldn't have played in the NHL last year. I hope he can turn things around - 7 points in 21 AHL games is concerning. 

Jake was one of the younger players in the draft. If he was a bit younger and went in 2015 instead as one of the older players I don't find it hard to imagine him being drafted around 40th based on his last season in the WHL.

I still think we have a good prospect in Jake, I just don't see him as a top line talent. 2nd line? Sure.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

My expectations are similar as yours, but I'm expecting him to be getting about 30 goals a year in 2-3 years playing in the top line and causing the other team to commit penalties.

30 goals in 2  years? We'd be lucky if he's getting 30 points in the NHL in 2 years. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

30 goals in 2  years? We'd be lucky if he's getting 30 points in the NHL in 2 years. 

agreed. 30 goals is wishful thinking. i'd be happy if jake can get 30-40 points in 2 years time and see where he goes from there. what concerns me is that we don't know much about jakes progress in utica. more information would be nice. if he's progressing and improving. 

10 hours ago, ice orca said:

Tomlinson is around the team all the time unlike all of CDC. He mentions Virtanens lack of commitment at practice and people on here freak out and call him an ass clown. He was right that's why Virtanen is in the AHL not the NHL.

Tomlinson is one of the very few media voices around town who actually knows what he's talking about. I'm always keen to listen to his input on the Canucks. Grant Kerr was another one back in the day for Canadian press. Guy was pure gold.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

then theres BIG COUNTRY lol too add remember for a short time Virts teammates nicknamed him that as well. wonder why lol

maybe he has a big country appetite,

Big country without the big money?

Hopefully he is learning how to work for 60 minutes an play a two way game under coach Green ,I think Green will shape up his game,If not an he does not reform an learn to grab his stuff ,I imagine he will be bundled packaged an traded .I hope Jake makes it back an can contribute next year,

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

then theres BIG COUNTRY lol too add remember for a short time Virts teammates nicknamed him that as well. wonder why lol

19 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

maybe he has a big country appetite,

Big country without the big money?

Hopefully he is learning how to work for 60 minutes an play a two way game under coach Green ,I think Green will shape up his game,If not an he does not reform an learn to grab his stuff ,I imagine he will be bundled packaged an traded .I hope Jake makes it back an can contribute next year,

Big Country was notorious for always being out of shape by the time the Grizzlies' training camp started. Driving tractors around his farm were far more important than basketball. 

If Jake is as non-committed to his hockey career, based on being out shape, that's scary. And here's a local kid who always dreamed of playing for the Canucks.

10 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I still think we have a good prospect in Jake, I just don't see him as a top line talent. 2nd line? Sure.

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

That's my own personal standard. If he's not hitting that by then, then I'll jump into the "Virtanen is a bust at number 6" camp.

A solid 2nd line player is pretty good for a 6th pick FWIW. And I doubt we see that for at least 2+ years given PWF's don't tend to reach their ceilings until their mid 20's.

If he's putting up 30 points in two years, you call that a win. I only see him as a 40+point, fast, physical pain in the arse to play against in his prime. Two years from now he won't likely be close to that, let alone putting up 30 goals

And that wouldn't remotely make him a bust. At 6 or otherwise. 

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • b3. unlocked this topic