The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

55 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Virtanen is actually looking pretty good in that highlight reel! He is using his speed really effectively, as the announcers themselves point out, to the point that he is making other players look quite slow out on the ice. He is getting several good looks at the net with his shots, but is not converting yet. It is evident though that he does not have good chemistry with his line-mates yet, and he still has not figured out the positional game entirely. However, if he can keep this up, the game will turn in his favour pretty soon. 

For a 20 year old in the AHL, I would say I am still pretty excited about what he can bring in the future. 

What really stands out to me is that he is actually very noticeable this time around.  I've watched a bunch of them over the past few months, and in many of the games you can't find a single highlight with #18.  Not a shot attempt, a big hit, a good defensive play, nothing.  I don't know if it's due to limited ice-time, or if he really has just been playing some lackluster games, I don't follow Utica enough to really know.  But it's games like these that really revive my hope for his future.  He just needs the professional mentality, and I think he's surrounded by the right people to make it happen.

1 hour ago, The Sedge said:

Highlights from Utica's January 11th game.  Like many of you, I'm stuck with these short highlight packages to see how our prospects are playing.  I must say though, Jake is a very noticeable player (in a good way) this past game.  He's playing like a big, fast winger, using his skills to his advantage and it looks like he's got some confidence.  Now of course his challenge will be to carry this into the next game, and the game after that and so on.  The kid still has a ton of potential.

looks like he's starting to recover from the lousy coaching of WD.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, The Sedge said:

Highlights from Utica's January 11th game.  Like many of you, I'm stuck with these short highlight packages to see how our prospects are playing.  I must say though, Jake is a very noticeable player (in a good way) this past game.  He's playing like a big, fast winger, using his skills to his advantage and it looks like he's got some confidence.  Now of course his challenge will be to carry this into the next game, and the game after that and so on.  The kid still has a ton of potential.

And what's gotten into Archibald?  Looking like a bonafide offensive threat and putting up points.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, The Sedge said:

What really stands out to me is that he is actually very noticeable this time around.  I've watched a bunch of them over the past few months, and in many of the games you can't find a single highlight with #18.  Not a shot attempt, a big hit, a good defensive play, nothing.  I don't know if it's due to limited ice-time, or if he really has just been playing some lackluster games, I don't follow Utica enough to really know.  But it's games like these that really revive my hope for his future.  He just needs the professional mentality, and I think he's surrounded by the right people to make it happen.

Green could have had Jake doing a ton of off ice and pre game drills. Jake needed better conditioning and it was one of the reasons he was sent down in the first place. 

Green could have put Jake thru a program that could have left him gassed before the game even started.  Hopefully he has adjusted now and can work on his other weaknesses.  

Speculation, but I would have a top pick who needed better conditioning do extra training.  Jake raved about Green, and having him as a coach. Maybe Jake is at a point were he needs a coach he can look up to, don't think WD was that guy. 

EW

12 hours ago, Toews said:

Its not about dismissing Demko. I think everyone is excited about his potential but its just that... potential. There is a big jump from college hockey to the AHL and subsequently another jump from the AHL to the NHL. There are many examples of guys coming out of college or even junior with sparkling numbers but they don't manage to live up to expectations. So lets push the brakes before saying he is going to be better than Schneider. Goaltending is the hardest position to project precisely because it takes years of development before most goalies are ready to play in the NHL and do well.

Demko has progressed in a very similar fashion to CS. They went to the same IMO program, drafted by the same club.  They have very comparable NCAA and rookie AHL numbers made way easier by having them come from the same program.

My oppinion is worth nothing and is like everyone else's. Part of my response was a counter to the prevailing negativity about the current prospect pool. 

You are right, I will pump the brakes, but Demko is our future in goal. 

EW

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm not writing him off, my post was more pointed towards the fact that people are throwing out projections and comparisons with absolutely no justification.  I'm gonna sit here and wait for him to develop just like everyone else should do the same.

You have outlined legit core concerns. I watched Virtanen playing for the Hitman and admit I was surprised to see him on a 2nd line. His play was not that different than how he was playing with the Canucks. IMHO there is time for Green to rebuild this kids game into something that works in the NHL. My take away on JV is that he has superior skating and a wicked wrist shot. I'll wait to see how he develops in Utica.  

12 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

And what's gotten into Archibald?  Looking like a bonafide offensive threat and putting up points.

Archie's been on a tear this year.  I'm surprised he hasn't earned a call-up, though maybe he just isn't part of the Canuck's future plans.

16 minutes ago, Mikeisbossy said:

virtanen reminds me of Vladimir Krutov- fantastic skills, but completely lost without  coach tikanen cracking the whip 

Wow,

Krutov that came into Canucks camp as a 30 y/o guy like 40 lbs overweight?   Okay... Full marks for the reference, but God I hope you are completely wrong, crazy or seriously kidding. Lol...

If anything, he may have some Sandlack in his approach to the game.  House was a big chill guy who did okay, unless you pissed him off...

Then he took over the game.  It only happened a few times, then he would disappear again. Always thought Quinn needed to Slap Sandlack hard in the face before every period and then tell him to take it out on the other team. 

EW

3 hours ago, suitup said:

I feel like this is my final conclusion on the Virtanen development dilemma. 

The way I see Jake is that he's like putty. He's got all the tools in the world, and quite honestly, I don't think he's ever necessarily "put it together", which is why he's displayed "poor hockey IQ," or a "lack of on ice vision." I think Virtanen is one of those players who's development completely relies on good coaching, and structure to tell him how to put his tools together so he can take his game to the next level.

That is the difference between players like him and Horvat, who "gets it" and works tirelessly at it. While for players like Jake, it essentially comes down to either work ethic, a lack of direction, or both. With the way Jake was thrown into the NHL lineup, and Willie's philosophy of "not coaching players because this is the NHL," it really set him back. Which is why he needed to be down in the AHL with Green to essentially "mold" him into the player he CAN be. The very same reason why scouts have touted him to be anywhere from a bottom top 10 pick to outside the top 10. 

Personally, I think with the proper development, coaching, and special attention, Jake might actually be able to put it together. However, like others have said, it's going to take quite a long time. In the end, whether he fails or succeeds, it's really up to him and how the Canucks handle his development. Now we wait for the putty to form and dry. 

Great post, deserves my pluses than I can give. 

Completely agree and well said. 

EW

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Krutov liked hotdogs, apparently.  B)

Buy Jake a hotdog every time he scores. ::D

On second thought, no. 

Nice to know that he is getting strong mentorship from Green. I hope the Canucks can re-sign Green so he can work with Jake for a couple of more seasons.