The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 minutes ago, MilesFromHome said:

There was another nhl player who had a low hockey iq but could make it work. Anyone remember Brett Hull.

Brett Hull was also known as a bit of a fatty too, wasn't he?  Isn't that why the Flames gave up on him?

On 1/12/2017 at 2:44 PM, DeNiro said:

Yep, people need to stop defending this pick. If he wasn't from BC we wouldn't have taken him, and he probably would have gone outside the top 10.

What concerns me is that Benning is continuing to make the same mistake of not taking best player available. We can't keep getting top 10 picks and failing to address our need of top 6 scorers.

People can sugar coat the Virtanen and Juolevi picks all they want, but the bottom line is this team would be much better off if it had Ehlers and Tkachuk in the lineup right now. I'm just hoping Virtanen can make the big show at some point, but my expectations have been lowered quite a bit. I'll be happy if he becomes a good third liner.

Exactly, for our team it seems to be sit and wait all the time while the OTHER teams are reaping the benefits of their picks almost immediately. If Virtanen was born in Saskatoon, anywhere else but BC, theres no way they would've picked him. Benning is too behind the curve, in love with the whole size matters in the West, the Boston model was expired like 3-4 years ago, its speed and skill is what this game is predicated on now. I still do think that the real problem is rooted in the scouting staff, which I don't think has changed since the Quinn days with retards like Delorme, and Smyl heading up that dept.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Brett Hull was also known as a bit of a fatty too, wasn't he?  Isn't that why the Flames gave up on him?

Yes and thats what many teams hold on to their overweight prospects, gawd knows they don't want to lose out on the next Brett Hull. Sorry but an obese Brett Hull skating with one skate, shooting left handed would make Jake Virtanen look like an amateur

4 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Exactly, for our team it seems to be sit and wait all the time while the OTHER teams are reaping the benefits of their picks almost immediately. If Virtanen was born in Saskatoon, anywhere else but BC, theres no way they would've picked him. Benning is too behind the curve, in love with the whole size matters in the West, the Boston model was expired like 3-4 years ago, its speed and skill is what this game is predicated on now. I still do think that the real problem is rooted in the scouting staff, which I don't think has changed since the Quinn days with retards like Delorme, and Smyl heading up that dept.

Seriously, how does Delorme not only keep his job, but get a promotion?  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seriously, how does Delorme not only keep his job, but get a promotion?  

Because, unknown to the poor huddled masses, Delorme has never missed on a draft pick. That's right, he has listed all the proper players in the proper order for the last twenty years, including the sleepers. Unfortunately for Canuck fans the gms of this team never believe him, thinking Delorme has to be wrong one of these times, and disregard Delorme's choices.

13 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Exactly, for our team it seems to be sit and wait all the time while the OTHER teams are reaping the benefits of their picks almost immediately. If Virtanen was born in Saskatoon, anywhere else but BC, theres no way they would've picked him. Benning is too behind the curve, in love with the whole size matters in the West, the Boston model was expired like 3-4 years ago, its speed and skill is what this game is predicated on now. I still do think that the real problem is rooted in the scouting staff, which I don't think has changed since the Quinn days with retards like Delorme, and Smyl heading up that dept.

I agree with you on Delorme but I wouldn't knock Steamer. He's the director of player development and he's done some college scouting but he's not a big part of the scouting staff.

Thank goodness Boeser is in the prospect pool, however, let's not give up on Jake just yet. Let Green work with him for another season or two.

On 12/01/2017 at 3:14 PM, DeNiro said:

I only hope they learn from their mistakes in the future. Hockey IQ should be at the forefront of players they draft. You can't simply be wowed by a players skating and physical play. Those kinds of players can be found in later rounds. We need to be taking elite offensive talent with top 10 picks.

Pretty much described Cody Hodgson when he was drafted. High hockey IQ and skating issues with his first couple of strides.

52 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Derp. 

20 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

wow people are still so upset about Jake when most players take time to become NHL players so geeeeez people just calm down and learn more about hockey!

Yeah, some folks around here could use some more Elsa in their lives apparently. 

• Upvote 1

On 2017-01-12 at 2:44 PM, DeNiro said:

Yep, people need to stop defending this pick. If he wasn't from BC we wouldn't have taken him, and he probably would have gone outside the top 10.

What concerns me is that Benning is continuing to make the same mistake of not taking best player available. We can't keep getting top 10 picks and failing to address our need of top 6 scorers.

People can sugar coat the Virtanen and Juolevi picks all they want, but the bottom line is this team would be much better off if it had Ehlers and Tkachuk in the lineup right now. I'm just hoping Virtanen can make the big show at some point, but my expectations have been lowered quite a bit. I'll be happy if he becomes a good third liner.

Dal Colle was BPA at #5 in 2014...Haydn Fluery went at #7

Neither player has played  single game in the NHL

I think JV was picked precisely where he was supposed to be..

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

#Bust is trending in the twitterverse of Jake Virtanen. Will he prove them wrong? Tune in to next weeks edition. 

Personally I'm not a Jake fan but I hope he becomes a good nhler because he has shown flashes of good stuff eh

You're quickly becoming the new labamba

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2017 at 3:38 PM, The Sedge said:

Highlights from Utica's January 11th game.  Like many of you, I'm stuck with these short highlight packages to see how our prospects are playing.  I must say though, Jake is a very noticeable player (in a good way) this past game.  He's playing like a big, fast winger, using his skills to his advantage and it looks like he's got some confidence.  Now of course his challenge will be to carry this into the next game, and the game after that and so on.  The kid still has a ton of potential.

He does look good indeed. To be honest, I would be shocked if he doesn't become an NHL regular someday. Whether he will be better than Ehlers or Nylander is unknown, but he will be playing in the NHL. 

He generates very good shooting chances with his speed and he does possess a very hard shot but most of them are one and done. In the junior, a lot of those shots actually go in so when I watch him now, it sometimes feels like he doesn't have an idea on what to do after taking a good shot. Like, he shoots, and skates to the back of the net looking confused. At the pro level, most of those shots won't go in so basically learning how to continually generate offensive opportunities is one thing that he needs to improve on. Basically, there is no way one player can prolong offensive zone time so he just needs to learn to make use of his teammates better. It sounds simple but it's actually hard especially because some of his current line mates are probably not anywhere near him in terms of skill so adjusting himself to help players of less caliber play better is something that he needs to do. In fact, any successful professional needs to be able to do this and if Jake learns how to do that, he will be in the NHL scoring a lot of goals.

Unfair how he is treated just because of the team he drafted by.  A lot of other high picks didn't work either, but their not taking as much heat.  Haydn Fleury and Michael Dal Cole are not exactly turning heads either in fact, direct comments from Islander and Hurricanes fans they think those players will bust, when asked who they think will bust in their own organization.  The very worst I think Virtanan can still be a 4th line player who skates and hits (Kinda like a Kassian)  Plenty of top picks that don't work out.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Unfair how he is treated just because of the team he drafted by.  A lot of other high picks didn't work either, but their not taking as much heat.  Haydn Fleury and Michael Dal Cole are not exactly turning heads either in fact, direct comments from Islander and Hurricanes fans they think those players will bust, when asked who they think will bust in their own organization.  The very worst I think Virtanan can still be a 4th line player who skates and hits (Kinda like a Kassian)  Plenty of top picks that don't work out.

I agree that a lot of 1st round picks don't make it,.,,it happens....but to blow the highest pick that the team had in 15 years,would be a major blunder (to put it mildly).....I still have confidence that JV can pull it together somehow, and make it to the NHL...Although my expectations of him being an 'impact player' have been lowered immeasurably.

6 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

You're quickly becoming the new labamba

Nah,

Say what you would about Labamba, he is cynical and hates small Defencemen named Subban, but he has earned my respect and he is not always on the naysayers side. 

Big Head is a little more trollish about anyone not named Horvat. Maybe he should go back a read all the 'We should've drafted Nishuskin' crap that went on endlessly here until mid point last season. 

see if he can find some similarities in how the CDC treats any prospect that is not scoring 50 goals a week while posting a shutout. 

EW

• Upvote 1