The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I posted about this kind of thing a while

back but I'll repeat the point. Young players learn and grow from being on the ice during big moments. Win or lose. Whether they're the hero scoring the GWG or the goat who costs his team the game. So long as they're in a good coaching environment and able to take in the lesson and build off of it. And often it's the mistakes that provide the most teachable moments. 

I trust Green to put Jake in situations where he can learn and grow. Sometimes it will be setting him up to succeed. At other times, it's allowing him to taste failure and seeing how he reacts. Lots of observation time, learning the right buttons to push, and finding out what kind of approaches are most helpful in making Jake a better player.

And unlike with the NHL club where a mistake might have meant losing icetime and opportunities, being in Utica likely means that Jake goes right back out there the next time the Comets are in a similar situation. Gives Jake the opportunity to prove he's learned from his mistake and is committed to making sure he's better the next time.

16 hours ago, J.R. said:

Excellent! Another teaching opportunity! 

As much as this will likely rile up and annoy the 'Bust crowd', Jake needs some of these 'failure' moments to really let these lessons sink in.

We all learn best when we @#$% up and there's consequences ;)

Yes, ideally Jake would have learned this stuff 2-3 years ago. He didn't. He's learning it now.

We deal with the realities we're presented with.

19 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Are you admitting he's capable of learning? That's a contentious issue around these parts. Apparently his brain was completely full at birth and he will never learn anything ever again.

If you want to be even more technical about it, apparently, his brain is rock solid and violates the latest findings on neuroplasticity. Seriously, guys in this forum that post about how we don't learn or about how our brains don't change after a certain age need to read the latest research.

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Jesus Christ, you really outdid yourself here... talk about overthinking something. This discussion started because of that tweet and highlight video clearly depicting Virtanen being at fault for that ONE goal. Next thing you know, you're going on this rant about how hockey is a 23 player game, whether or not Hamhuis was at fault for game 5 of 2012, how Luongo is victimized by some people, how Jake's overall game was, etc. Like seriously?

We're talking about that ONE goal during that ONE shift. No spins, no apologetics, no nothing. 

I love how once a day someone like yourself strays so far away from actually addressing the comment at hand that you earn my -

It's amazing you cannot simply say oh jeez, he fudged a play.  You itch for moments like this to sit up and demand attention by claiming this is his entire career.

I simply showed very easily that 1 play does NOT in any way shape or form dictate an entire career.  I backed it up with anecdotal commentary, I asked very pertinent questions AND flat out said if this was his entire game it's on him and in part the coach.  But it IS a team game and in no way do you address ANY of that but instead come at me like a rabid chihuahua with about as much substance

Since you refuse to address any of that please just go away.  You hate Virtanen.  You think he was a bad pick.  You wanted Ehlers, Nylander, Larkin.  We get it.  Fine.  good for you.  But since you didn't want to address ANY of the other points I raised, just stop before you start looking like HBH

Edited by Warhippy

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I love how once a day someone like yourself strays so far away from actually addressing the comment at hand that you earn my -

It's amazing you cannot simply say oh jeez, he fudged a play.  You itch for moments like this to sit up and demand attention by claiming this is his entire career.

I simply showed very easily that 1 play does NOT in any way shape or form dictate an entire career.  I backed it up with anecdotal commentary, I asked very pertinent questions AND flat out said if this was his entire game it's on him and in part the coach.  But it IS a team game and in no way do you address ANY of that but instead come at me like a rabid chihuahua with about as much substance

Since you refuse to address any of that please just go away.  You hate Virtanen.  You think he was a bad pick.  You wanted Ehlers, Nylander, Larkin.  We get it.  Fine.  good for you.  But since you didn't want to address ANY of the other points I raised, just stop before you start looking like HBH

Bruh. Way to deflect. 10/10

Admitting that he's at fault for the goal isn't going to scratch your white knight armour, it's ok. No one's talking about his entire career, nor the overall game for that matter, just that specific goal. 

My god you're emotional. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Bruh. Way to deflect. 10/10

Admitting that he's at fault for the goal isn't going to scratch your white knight armour, it's ok. No one's talking about his entire career, nor the overall game for that matter, just that specific goal. 

My god you're emotional. 

My god you're pathetic

At NO point in time was I saying it WASN'T his fault.  I was ASKING questions about his game play.  I posted a video that shows professionals do it ALL the time.

You want to bite in on the back end and pretend that I am ignoring that fact go ahead.  But there's not a single post you can find where I say it wasn't his fault.

Bruh...way to ignore 10/10

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My god you're pathetic

At NO point in time was I saying it WASN'T his fault.  I was ASKING questions about his game play.  I posted a video that shows professionals do it ALL the time.

You want to bite in on the back end and pretend that I am ignoring that fact go ahead.  But there's not a single post you can find where I say it wasn't his fault.

Bruh...way to ignore 10/10

You said it "wasn't entirely Jake's fault" when it really was, going on to shift some of the blame on the goalie for his play and the team for not scoring more. lmao. We can go through the semantics of how much blame but it's futile. You switch Jake for someone else and that goal doesn't happen. 

20 hours ago, Warhippy said:

How were the other 4 Utica players on the ice doing for those goals.  What kind of quality was the goal?

It's a loss.  It's only fuel for the fire if people like cheering for dumpster fires 

How was he for the other 64 minutes.

19 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Well yes.  I'd like to know details.

It's a team effort.  If he choked it up in OT as per that tweet; well ok it happens.  See the Sedins for reference on choking in OT ;)

But if he just cherry picked the entire game every shift by himself then that's an issue and needs to be addressed.  It needs to be on him.

The bigger issue or more telling one will be how he; and in part, Green as his coach rebound from it

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just saw that.  It's not good for a guys confidence but that is not entirely all on Jake like Utica Army poster says.  Goalie wasn't even close to ready, he got mugged stick checked and sniped.  Yes it's on him to be more aggressive but to say it's ALL his fault when for 60+ other minutes a 22 man squad couldn't pot more than 1 goal is a bit of a toss off to blame just Jake.

In vancouver we've had a lot of goals like that, back breakers.

Hammer choked up this puck in 2012 against LA.  Remember that?  at the 10:47 mark  Is it Hammers fault?  Salo's?  Schnieder?

Team game.

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If Virtanen was bad the entire game ok.  If it is one bad play...well that's a bit different

16 minutes ago, guntrix said:

You said it "wasn't entirely Jake's fault" when it really was, going on to shift some of the blame on the goalie for his play and the team for not scoring more. lmao. We can go through the semantics of how much blame but it's futile. You switch Jake for someone else and that goal doesn't happen. 

See ALL those questions.  See  me saying it wasn't entirely his fault the goal happened?  No.  I said it wasn't entirely his fault the team lost.

You're very sure that nobody else would have had that happen to them.  But it does.  it happens frequently.  See the video I posted.

You're blaming me far saying the goal wasn't Jakes fault, which I never did.  But you qualify that with a clim that it wouldn't happen to anyone else.

Bruh....

Edited by Warhippy

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

See ALL those questions.  See  me saying it wasn't entirely his fault the goal happened?  No.  I said it wasn't entirely his fault the team lost.

You're very sure that nobody else would have had that happen to them.  But it does.  it happens frequently.  See the video I posted.

You're blaming me far saying the goal wasn't Jakes fault, which I never did.  But you qualify that with a clim that it wouldn't happen to anyone else.

Bruh....

Oh boy, apologetic hypotheticals. Here we go. 

Jake was purely at fault for the goal. 

That goal was scored in OT. 

Jake's team lost because of that goal. 

Jake's at fault. Dw, he'll learn from this. 

There's no need to over analyze. 

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Oh boy, apologetic hypotheticals. Here we go. 

Jake was purely at fault for the goal. 

That goal was scored in OT. 

Jake's team lost because of that goal. 

Jake's at fault. Dw, he'll learn from this. 

There's no need to over analyze. 

Ok Ok I agree

Because that would NEVER happen to anyone else.  I said it was not his fault at all and he's a 20 year old bust.  He could never possibly learn from this.  We should have drafted Ehlers/Nylander

You're right Gun how could everyone else ever have been thinking they might have hope for a kid.

Scuse me whilst I go buy my nylander jersey and Ehlers hat <_<

Edited by Warhippy

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Ok Ok I agree

Because that would NEVER happen to anyone else.  I said it was not his fault at all and he's a 20 year old bust.  He could never possibly learn from this.  We should have drafted Ehlers/Nylander

You're right Gun how could everyone else ever have been thinking they might have hope for a kid.

Scuse me whilst I go buy my nylander jersey and Ehlers hat

lmao. 

59 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ok Ok I agree

Scuse me whilst I go buy my nylander jersey and Ehlers hat <_<

I would suggest to you and everyone else that it is not worth the time or effort to respond to guntrix. He is not looking for a decent discussion, only trolling for reactions. 

I agree with the notions that people have been saying that the greatest f*ck ups will lead to the greatest opportunities to learn and grow. This is true in almost every field - even in music. We will have to see what he learns from this and that will indicate more about his character as a player and a professional than any one incident. 

17 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I would suggest to you and everyone else that it is not worth the time or effort to respond to guntrix. He is not looking for a decent discussion, only trolling for reactions. 

I agree with the notions that people have been saying that the greatest f*ck ups will lead to the greatest opportunities to learn and grow. This is true in almost every field - even in music. We will have to see what he learns from this and that will indicate more about his character as a player and a professional than any one incident. 

Just remarkable how people can whinge  about being over positive when they're so negative they can't even critique the player just posters instead.

Green will ensure he recovers from that mistake without question 

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just remarkable how people can whinge  about being over positive when they're so negative they can't even critique the player just posters instead.

Green will ensure he recovers from that mistake without question 

I'm always down to discuss the player. Heck, I've rarely name called anyone or called them "pathetic" for that matter.

He got called out for concocting another feel-good comparison using selective information and you got called out for trying to derive the meaning of life from a goal. Chill your tits and be realistic. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

I'm always down to discuss the player. Heck, I've rarely name called anyone or called them "pathetic" for that matter.

He got called out for concocting another feel-good comparison using selective information and you got called out for trying to derive the meaning of life from a goal. Chill your tits and be realistic. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Green Building said:

You mean like this hot garbage?

virt.png

I hate our local sports media when they do stuff like this, I really do. Absolutely no shame in how they portray a kid, and one of their own at that. It's one of many reasons Utica should remain our farm team, location be damned.

Yes it was Botch and he's a proven jackass, but he and the Province had a chance to be objective with that article and they instead chose to incite contempt. Pathetic is an accurate way to describe them, and sadly, they aren't alone. 

Agreed my friend. It is really a shame that these guys are in the roles that they are in. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Green Building said:

You mean like this hot garbage?

virt.png

I hate our local sports media when they do stuff like this, I really do. Absolutely no shame in how they portray a kid, and one of their own at that. It's one of many reasons Utica should remain our farm team, location be damned.

Yes it was Botch and he's a proven jackass, but he and the Province had a chance to be objective with that article and they instead chose to incite contempt. Pathetic is an accurate way to describe them, and sadly, they aren't alone. 

Such a brutal hatchet job.  It makes me ashamed to be a local boy some times

• Upvote 3