The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 2017-01-19 at 1:50 AM, MilesFromHome said:

There was another nhl player who had a low hockey iq but could make it work. Anyone remember Brett Hull.

I guess that`s why he made the list of top 100 NHLers EVER. You must really understand hockey :unsure:

On 2017-01-22 at 7:17 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think canucks will pull him up for our playoffs in 4 months.  Tell him to keep his game simple and hit everything on the ice. Ferkland style...This team doesn't have enough size up front to wear down another teams D over a seven game series.

I like your optimism. Playoffs - 7 game series. Wearing down another (top) teams D. Will cross my fingers rather than hold my breath, but anything is possible.

10 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Hating on a player, no longer here... a thinly veiled compliment with underlying sentiments of detraction towards a current prospect...what are you trying to achieve with this post? 

I wish all of the haters for haters sake would just **** off already...This thread is a perfect example of why this team's fanbase is hated throughout the league.

There is way too much attention being put on a 20 year old prospect that needs to simmer in the minors... Find a new hobby

He's just saying what most sensible people think. Jake has to perform consistently. He will need to play like that until the end of the season to warrant a call up. So get off you high horse and stop over reacting.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Hating on a player, no longer here... a thinly veiled compliment with underlying sentiments of detraction towards a current prospect...what are you trying to achieve with this post? 

I wish all of the haters for haters sake would just **** off already...This thread is a perfect example of why this team's fanbase is hated throughout the league.

There is way too much attention being put on a 20 year old prospect that needs to simmer in the minors... Find a new hobby

LOL calm your tits bro. The point is we've been down this road with Kassian and I hope he can be consistent.

I spoke the truth about Kassian there's no denying it. 

• Upvote 1

Looks like maybe Jake is tired of working down on the farm for peanuts, and is trying to send a message to JB that he's ready to come home and he promises that he will be a good boy. If he keeps this play up, he'll get his wish, probably sooner rather than later.

25 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

LOL calm your tits bro. The point is we've been down this road with Kassian and I hope he can be consistent.

I spoke the truth about Kassian there's no denying it. 

Ya except the Kassian story is much different then the Jake one , I believe thats what playboi19 is talking about. Jake has way more potential then Kassian and a much better chance of acheiving it. Jake doesn't have substance abuse issues or personality problems.

Edited by Sbriggs

4 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Ya except the Kassian story is much different then the Jake one , I believe thats what playboi19 is talking about. Jake has way more potential then Kassian and a much better chance of acheiving it. Jake doesn't have substance abuse issues or personality problems.

True enough.  Good for Kassian to overcome his addictions.  Would Jake's poor eating habits be kind of an addiction?  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Holy cow who was that tonight!  Fantastic game for Jake.  Back checking (he picked the D pocket 3 times from behind), forechecking, carrying the puck.  He just put his shoulder down and drove the net ala Horvat and the Pens had no answer.  Their goalie had to come up big.  He didn't settle for long shots from the dot, and when he needed to he mucked around in front of the net too.  In the third period (and maybe part of second) Travis double shifted Jake, playing him with Bancks, Hamilton, and then two lines later with Kunyk and Pelletier.  Zalewski didn't play much in the third period.  

Jakes conditioning is WAY up.  He didn't drop off at all even with all the extra ice time and Travis had him out there for the last two minutes, and he has been playing on top PP.  Another few weeks like this and he is headed straight back to Vancouver.  Super encouraging for Virtanen fans.  I think Travis is going to ride him now and put him out there for all the pressure shifts.  I would bet a lot that in another few weeks with Travis' confidence in him, Jake is going to be flying as Comets overall are playing much better.  Hopefully Labate can get back soon and when Hutton and Hansen come back we will probably see Larsen/Biega and Gaunce/Megna/Boucher?  Adding three more quality pieces will give Jake some more help.  

Jake needs a little better care with his passing as he often just throws it too quickly into a crowd and hopes, but everything else tonight was NHL level all the way.  That is the good thing about some time in the A.  He can get a little better sense of when he can hold the puck and when he needs to just move it.  He still isn't quite there in terms of controlling the puck, but skating wise he looked like a man among boys and the WBS team is very good.  It was a very high paced, quality game.  Both teams hit the pipe and their goalies had to come up big repeatedly.  One of the best i've ever seen at the Aud.  The Penguins Rowney won 5 out of 6 face-offs in the last 2 minutes after repeated icing to stave off any serious attempts on net.  

Really good news...As long as he is aware of how he is supposed to play..that can be a good thing..If anyone can rectify Jake,its Green....I've checked out a few Comets games and would have to agree that if Jake does have deficiency in his game..it is his passing.

16 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Really good news...As long as he is aware of how he is supposed to play..that can be a good thing..If anyone can rectify Jake,its Green....I've checked out a few Comets games and would have to agree that if Jake does have deficiency in his game..it is his passing.

I'd argue that that was Kesler's deficiency as well.... he still managed to have a few half decent years for us :) 

3 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

as long as he keeps up his solid back checking game, fore checking game, and pick pocketing pucks from other teams he will be a NHLer. 

And he eats properly, and is a complete professional in his preparation on and off the ice too.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And he eats properly, and is a complete professional in his preparation on and off the ice too.

For the most part Alf, they all eat properly.

The problem is if a player is seen grabbing that quick food to get through a moment,  the moment is super-sized into a full meal deal by whom ever instagramed or tweeted the moment.

Hell,. even MacKinnon and Crosby look chunky in those Tim Horton Commercials.

32 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

For the most part Alf, they all eat properly.

The problem is if a player is seen grabbing that quick food to get through a moment,  the moment is super-sized into a full meal deal by whom ever instagramed or tweeted the moment.

Hell,. even MacKinnon and Crosby look chunky in those Tim Horton Commercials.

The kid has all the physical gifts to be a special player, that's not at all in question.  Does he have the strength of character to make the sacrifices needed to become that player?  That's the bigger question.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The kid has all the physical gifts to be a special player, that's not at all in question.  Does he have the strength of character to make the sacrifices needed to become that player?  That's the bigger question.  

for the kind of money these guys make....I would gladly give up hotdogs.

• Upvote 2