The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Isn't Virtanen's family loaded?

his dad is a air traffic controller at YVR.

The kid has all the physical gifts to be a special player, that's not at all in question.  Does he have the strength of character to make the sacrifices needed to become that player?  That's the bigger question.  

I hope he does.  We all want him to succeed right Alf? 

Just now, MoneypuckOverlord said:

his dad is a air traffic controller at YVR.

I hope he does.  We all want him to succeed right Alf? 

Exactly.  That's the one thing we fans all have in common.  If Jake reaches his ceiling, then we have a super player.  He will be fun to watch.  I wonder if the Canucks actually monitor Jake's diet?  They have to, right?

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  That's the one thing we fans all have in common.  If Jake reaches his ceiling, then we have a super player.  He will be fun to watch.  I wonder if the Canucks actually monitor Jake's diet?  They have to, right?

My guess is that they educate the players on diet and conditioning regiments but at the end of the day it is still up to the player to follow. That is just my guess though and im legit speaking right out of my a**.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The kid has all the physical gifts to be a special player, that's not at all in question.  Does he have the strength of character to make the sacrifices needed to become that player?  That's the bigger question.  

I believe these past couple of months he has been getting the right mentorship from Travis Green..

Jake was not getting that here..  and it sounds like he is responding well from the way Green is working him.

My bet is that if we do enter the playoffs, Jake will be here for that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Follows up a strong performance with kind of a dud. Only 1 shot on goal tonight.

Still gotta work on that consistency. 

Still very involved though. Pummeled a kid too.

Great weekend for Jake. He was using his speed to back off defenders and getting to the boards first on the forecheck. Was looking to use the cycle, but that's more difficult in the AHL. Made some big hits, which has been lacking from his game. He took the puck to the net strong a few times instead of firing the puck from the slot (never a bad play but if he can start crashing the net there will be more scoring chances).

He was using his teammates better and his mates were finding him as well, his positioning looked much better and seemed to come more naturally. He is able to put himself in bad positions, because his speed can get him out. If he can get his stamina to an elite level he can be the power forward that he was drafted to be.

It will be interesting to see if his game continues to evolve, because he is a different player than even the one that played last weekend. Would have liked to see him out there in OT after what happened last night, but that's the way that Green coaches, You need to earn everything. Very similar to the way Willie D coaches.

• Upvote 3

Wish I could have gone to game tonight to see how he did.  Sounds like it was a good one but PP going 1 for 6 isn't so hot I guess.  He has the big righty shot on that unit like Ovechkin for the Caps.  If he can produce something from there he will speed his trip to the bigs

14 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Really good news...As long as he is aware of how he is supposed to play..that can be a good thing..If anyone can rectify Jake,its Green....I've checked out a few Comets games and would have to agree that if Jake does have deficiency in his game..it is his passing.

What is this cult image of Green?

Who exactly has he rectified? Not Pedan, not Subban, not Cassels, not Grenier. He rectified Archie so much we didn't even re-sign him.

As far as I can see the real developing of our prospects so far has been in Vancouver. The fact it didn't happen for Jake was because he thought (like Kassian) he was indispensable and didn't have to work as hard as all the other young guys. His gamble failed, he was demoted and it is his loss of face that is driving him on now.

I'm sure Green is a good coach and I'm sure he will turn Jake around (if he wants to be turned around) but take it from me, the urge to get back in the NHL is much more of a factor for turning Jake round than Green will be. All Green can do is give him the big minutes to prove himself, a luxury only enjoyed in the AHL if you are a prospect.

Edited by alfstonker

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I believe these past couple of months he has been getting the right mentorship from Travis Green..

Jake was not getting that here..  and it sounds like he is responding well from the way Green is working him.

My bet is that if we do enter the playoffs, Jake will be here for that.

That is total rubbish.

How do you even begin to back that up. Virtanen tried to take the p-- up here in Vancouver. While everyone else was grafting their ass off he was shortchanging on effort, fitness, conditioning and application.

Willie can't afford to give a player like that big minutes. It not only sends the wrong signal to the other rookies but it weakens the o/a team performance.

When Virtanen came back shattered after the reactions to his poor performances in the WJC who was it who immediately declared his confidence in Jake and immediately started to build him up and increase his role? It wasn't Green, it was Willie and Jake played really well to the end of that season.

Unfortunately Jake thought he had made the big time and seems to have back-slid on his fitness and preparation in the close season yet amazingly thought he would still play in the team despite coming off gassed having spent virtually no time on the ice and done very little when he was on the ice.

No coach, especially one of a team in rebuild and having to set the right example to the other rookies could afford to play a player with that ATTITUDE.

He was sent down and given THE SAME TALKING TO by Green he probably got from Willie (and Benning?) the only difference is Jake was told it was the end of the line and if he wanted to get back to Vancouver/the NHL he better buckle down, get fit and change his attitude.

The only thing Jake is responding to is his pride and the fear he could be washed up if he doesn't turn himself around. Green is able to give him the big minutes Willie couldn't afford to and now it is up to the player.

So enough with the "he didn't get the mentorship" cr-p. There were 4 of the fittest, strongest character, decent guys in the league at Vancouver if he was looking for "mentorship"

He seemed oblivious to the work ethic of the rest of the team and that is a character flaw which only he can ultimately correct.

McEneny on Landeskog at Kitchener Rangers.

A: From day one, I knew that Gabriel was special. The first thing I noticed about him, how respectful he is. I can't say enough how hard he worked. He (Landeskog) has an edge about him, when on the ice. As our captain, Gabriel was a great guy and leader.

Edited by alfstonker

31 minutes ago, alfstonker said:
1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Who exactly has he rectified? Not Pedan, not Subban, not Cassels, not Grenier. He rectified Archie so much we didn't even re-sign him.

As far as I can see the real developing of our prospects so far has been in Vancouver. The fact it didn't happen for Jake was because he thought (like Kassian) he was indispensable and didn't have to work as hard as all the other young guys. His gamble failed, he was demoted and it is his loss of face that is driving him on now.

I'm sure Green is a good coach and I'm sure he will turn Jake around (if he wants to be turned around) but take it from me, the urge to get back in the NHL is much more of a factor for turning Jake round than Green will be. All Green can do is give him the big minutes to prove himself, a luxury only enjoyed in the AHL if you are a prospect.

Green is able to give him the big minutes Willie couldn't afford to and now it is up to the player.

The narrative that Green hasn't developed any players is false. Baertschi was headed back to Europe before he joined his Winterhawks coach. Markstrom was ridden like a rented mule and regained his confidence with Utica. Gaunce became a LWer and then was switched back to Center in his 2 years with TG. Labate shows promise. Shinkaruk was an AHL all-star. Cassels fell flat on his face during his 1st year and this year he is playing a chippy game and is becoming a bottom 6 penalty killer. Subban is learning to play defense and credits his progress to Green in a recent interview. McEneny is emerging as a good 2 way defender.

Grenier was buttery soft before the Comets and if he hadn't stumbled out of the blocks this year, he might have made the team this year. He's on his way to the all-star game after a slow start. Pedan is really the only guy that was drafted that hasn't shown significant progress.

Jake hasn't been given top 6 minutes except when he 1st got there and recently when he has started to play well. 

Green has his team in a playoff spot after stumbling out of the gate. He will be an NHL coach next season at the latest.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

"take it from me" implies that you have first hand experience with the subject on hand.

10 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

The narrative that Green hasn't developed any players is false. Baertschi was headed back to Europe before he joined his Winterhawks coach. Markstrom was ridden like a rented mule and regained his confidence with Utica. Gaunce became a LWer and then was switched back to Center in his 2 years with TG. Labate shows promise. Shinkaruk was an AHL all-star. Cassels fell flat on his face during his 1st year and this year he is playing a chippy game and is becoming a bottom 6 penalty killer. Subban is learning to play defense and credits his progress to Green in a recent interview. McEneny is emerging as a good 2 way defender.

Grenier was buttery soft before the Comets and if he hadn't stumbled out of the blocks this year, he might have made the team this year. He's on his way to the all-star game after a slow start. Pedan is really the only guy that was drafted that hasn't shown significant progress.

Jake hasn't been given top 6 minutes except when he 1st got there and recently when he has started to play well. 

Green has his team in a playoff spot after stumbling out of the gate. He will be an NHL coach next season at the latest.

We have had all this before. 

Baertschi was heading back to Europe because he wasn't playing with enough compete in Vancouver. He came up from Utica like that and Willie changed his game.

Markstrom was presumably coached in Utica by the goalie coach - How is that down to Green.

Shinkaruk is another player who couldn't adapt to the physical game in the NHL and has only played 7 games in Calgary.

I have already quoted how Green was quoted as saying Gaunce's his stint in Vancouver transformed him into a much better player.

Subban from what I read is no more ready to play defence than he has been. I was not impressed in his pre season games but I will hold judgement until he comes up for some games.

Cassels still has it all to prove, even in the AHL it seems to me.

Grenier is another player who looked far too soft in his appearances in Vancouver. You can have all the skill in the world but if you don't have that competitive edge and physical ability to fight for the right to use that skill then you are not going to make it. Just look at the way the 3/4 AHLers in Vancouver contest every puck and never give an inch.

I'm not criticising Green I am only saying the "rep" he seems to get on here is based on not very much. I hope he does get an NHL coaching job - just not as a replacement to WD - not for a few years at least.

By the way, Willie won the Calder Cup with a roster of nobodies in his second season in Texas.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

That is total rubbish.

How do you even begin to back that up. Virtanen tried to take the p-- up here in Vancouver. While everyone else was grafting their ass off he was shortchanging on effort, fitness, conditioning and application.

Willie can't afford to give a player like that big minutes. It not only sends the wrong signal to the other rookies but it weakens the o/a team performance.

When Virtanen came back shattered after the reactions to his poor performances in the WJC who was it who immediately declared his confidence in Jake and immediately started to build him up and increase his role? It wasn't Green, it was Willie and Jake played really well to the end of that season.

Unfortunately Jake thought he had made the big time and seems to have back-slid on his fitness and preparation in the close season yet amazingly thought he would still play in the team despite coming off gassed having spent virtually no time on the ice and done very little when he was on the ice.

No coach, especially one of a team in rebuild and having to set the right example to the other rookies could afford to play a player with that ATTITUDE.

He was sent down and given THE SAME TALKING TO by Green he probably got from Willie (and Benning?) the only difference is Jake was told it was the end of the line and if he wanted to get back to Vancouver/the NHL he better buckle down, get fit and change his attitude.

The only thing Jake is responding to is his pride and the fear he could be washed up if he doesn't turn himself around. Green is able to give him the big minutes Willie couldn't afford to and now it is up to the player.

So enough with the "he didn't get the mentorship" cr-p. There were 4 of the fittest, strongest character, decent guys in the league at Vancouver if he was looking for "mentorship"

He seemed oblivious to the work ethic of the rest of the team and that is a character flaw which only he can ultimately correct.

McEneny on Landeskog at Kitchener Rangers.

A: From day one, I knew that Gabriel was special. The first thing I noticed about him, how respectful he is. I can't say enough how hard he worked. He (Landeskog) has an edge about him, when on the ice. As our captain, Gabriel was a great guy and leader.

.. and how do you back your opinion up.?

Vey, got far more ice time than Virtanen ever has with Dejardins..    Green gives complete opinions on Virtanen.. and can give complete opinions on any of his players.  Desjardins can barely hum his way through a press conference.

Im sure JB had something to do with getting Jake ice time after the WJC,. Jake is a bigger investment to him.

While Jake has been in Utica, he has nothing but high praise for TG and the time he spends with his players on all aspects of their game.

Ever hear of Desjardins doing that?.. not even from his players.

• Upvote 2