The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I'm a little worried about him to be honest, not exactly dominating right now. He has the raw tools but there is no gaurentee he can put them all together. While nylander is leading the SHL in points per game at the age of 18 and looking to be a bonafide superstar in the making. I know virtanen is coming off surgery but has to find a way to get going or he might not even be on the world junior team.

There was an excellent post recently over at HFBoards where someone showed the estimated time on ice numbers for Virtanen and McCann this season (eTOI because the CHL doesn't track TOI--I believe the numbers used extraskater's old formula). What was very clear is that both players are being carefully eased back into action and their teams are managing their minutes. This is welcome news as it's far more in the Canucks' interest than in the junior teams to take things slowly and be extremely careful with bringing these guys back (simply because the junior shelf life is quite short while Vancouver is hoping to build around these players for the next decade or more).

Even more encouraging than the care being taken by these CHL clubs (while they "babysit" our young players for a year or two) is the fact that both Virtanen and McCann are actually among their leagues' leaders in points/60, so they are producing well in limited minutes and there's no reason not to expect them to carry their high rates into higher minutes and more front line roles, once they are ready to take that step.

For now, we know that they are producing better points per minute played than most of the first round picks of the past couple years, and doing so from second line roles and second unit PP.

Basically, things are going as planned. Nothing to worry about.

And I'll see if I can get a link up to that post or to the full stats, once I'm home and off mobile.

By the way, I just found out about the Greg Chase trade. For anyone else who isn't aware...

Hitmen acquire Kanzig from Royals

Nov 19, 2014 - 21:54 MST

The Calgary Hitmen Hockey Club today announced they have acquired 19-year-old Calgary Flames prospect Keegan Kanzig and a second-round pick in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft from the Victoria Royals in exchange for 19-year-old forward Greg Chase, a fifth-round pick in 2015 and an eighth-round selection in 2016.

“Keegan is a stay-at-home defenceman who will immediately make us a stronger team,” said Hitmen General Manager and Vice President of Business Operations Mike Moore. “We have a young blueline that will benefit from his experience, leadership and on-ice presence. We have had interest in acquiring him for some time and feel fortunate that he is now a Calgary Hitmen.”

Kanzig, a 6-6, 242-pound left-handed defenceman, is in his fourth WHL season. He has appeared in 217 regular season games, collecting 23 points (three goals, 20 assists) along with 375 penalty minutes. Kanzig has also played in 17 playoff games, adding two points (one goal, one assist) and 35 penalty minutes. The product of Athabasca, Alberta was drafted by the Calgary Flames in the third round, 67th overall, in the 2013 NHL Draft and signed a three-year entry-level contract with the organization in December 2013.

Kanzig is expected to make his Hitmen debut when Calgary returns to action on Friday at home against the Moose Jaw Warriors. Puck drop is 7:00 p.m. at the Scotiabank Saddledome for the CrossIron Mills Black Friday game.

The Hitmen will then round out a busy weekend with a home-and-home series against the Red Deer Rebels, travelling to Red Deer Saturday night before hosting the Rebels for the return meeting Sunday, Nov. 23 at 6:00 p.m. Sunday’s game, originally scheduled for 4:00 p.m., has been pushed back two hours to give fans the opportunity to support the Calgary Stampeders in the CFL Western Final at McMahon Stadium.

FWIW, that's one less top-6 forward.

Sure he may be healthy, but he won`t be as fit or as strong as he would have been with a full summer of training. Add rust to that, and that may equal a slow start.

Just be patient with him was the whole point. I`ve seen enough fans on here expect way too much out of young players, only to rip on them when they struggle.

Like I said before he came back, it was likely he was going to have a slow start.

I knew fans would start to question the pick when that happened too. Some people don't seem to understand that he missed a summer of training and was bound to be rusty.

With 7 points in his last 5 games, it would seem like he's starting to round back into form.

Does Calgary trade Virtanen for futures? They don't have alot of young talent on the team as in '98s or '99s. I think Virtanen gets traded from Calgary before he finishes his junior career.

It won't happen but how cool would it be if JV got traded to the Giants.

Okay, better stop while I'm ahead. Dare to dream.

It won't happen but how cool would it be if JV got traded to the Giants.

Okay, better stop while I'm ahead. Dare to dream.

They're not a contending team so I doubt they would trade their young talent and picks (which CGY would want) for one year of Virtanen. I wouldn't want him to play on a subpar team anyways. Sorry Giants fans.