The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

40 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Actually, he's not wrong.   

In the past few years Green has been praise as the next big thing around here, the next Mike Babcock.   But the matter of fact remains, that Green had multiple NHL interviews and was passed on by a lot of time.   When I look at the high profile prospect in the past few years, few that have been develop by Green made an any impact with the Canucks  (Schroeder, Jensen, Corrado, Sauvé, Grenier, Shinkaruk).   When you look at the ones that did made it, they didn't really go through Utica (Stetcher, Hutton, Horvat, Baertschi, Tryamkin and you could almost argue for Virtanen and McCann as well).  Green had a few success with guys like Gaunce, Labate, but anyone can develop bottom six players.

Green brought Utica to the final two years ago riding veteran players like Cal O'Reilly and benefitting from late season acquisition of Conacher and Baerstchi.  Other than that, I can't see what Green has really done for this organization.

Appreciate the analysis, but there is a bit more to the situation.   Stonker may not be wrong, but his isnt right.

Depth or lack of at the parent club level is the overriding factor in the rapid rise of prospects. 

To think that prospects will be better developed in the NHL vs he AHL is counter intuitive and illogical.

Baer spent half a season down in Utica.  22 y/o college students and Russian pros are that much more developed.  They are usually better prepared to play in the NHL. 

JB has stated that he was working hard to fill in the 22-24 age gap and feels that is accomplished, in that gap, Baer, Granlund, Trymakin. Stecher Hutton, Gaunce and Guddy.

Other drafts players are still in junior leagues. Other than Jake, Demko and now Gaunce, no other player drafted in 

the top two rounds is currently in Utica. Hard to do a lot with such an anemic roster. 

This club has a proven track record of developing NHL coaches in the AHL.  Green will be another. 

On 2/9/2017 at 6:54 PM, Odd. said:

But he knows more hockey than any of us. He's actually quite insightful.

well guess most people who like him do not follow hockey much as he adds nothing new and only tells what people know

most people I know that follow hockey laugh at him and those that follow not so much know as much as bob in over 100 people I talk hockey with all agree with me, so those who know not so much bob is good to hear then

12 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And WD didn't we came to the conclusion that WD didn't have a clue how to handle pure talent.  So he benched baertschi until injuries forced him to play him. (WD patented "developing" move) When Sven finally got ice time he started producing.  We've been over this WD has admitted that it was the power play opportunity that got sven going. WD own words. WD was too stupid to figure that out. 

The fact is and you were doing your head in at the time, WD was the one who changed Sven's game, not Green. He came up soft lacking compete (this was probably what Burke saw but unlike Willie didn't try to fix it)  go check the thread and you will see what opinion was of him.

WD has never had the opportunity to handle "pure talent" that is why his achievements are so commendable. Sven is NOT pure talent but he is a hell of a lot better than he was when he came up from Utica.

The power play didn't change his style, don't talk rubbish. It was being given tough love and told that he had to not only use his skill but compete consistently if he wanted to remain in the team.

"There is also a compete level that’s been missing. And whether Baertschi is scoring or not, his place in the lineup was always predicated on being just as good without the puck as he can be with it. It’s why Willie Desjardins stuck with the left winger last season when he needed a dozen games to score his first goal"

"VANCOUVER — It was a move Sven Baertschi didn’t like much at the time, but one the Vancouver Canucks winger says probably did him a whole lot of good.

After finishing an ugly minus-3 with no shots on goal in a 4-2 defeat at Florida last month, head coach Willie Desjardins plunked the talented winger in the press box the following night to give him some perspective."

No one expects anything out of those players and that's where you constantly can't understand.  What people have a problem with is.... there usage and deployment.  It's like larsen, we all know he sucks, no one expects him to be a savior, so why play him when there's better options.  Doesn't bother me any. Willie is getting canned in 3 months anyway so he can do what ever he wants in the meantime. 

No one expects? Don't be silly? The point is not what people expect, it is what these players can be encouraged.coached to offer. 

And it is because they have risen to the challenge under the coach that they have been often one of the best lines. That is what allows them to be rewarded by playing extra minutes and further up the line.

On the contrary, it's you that doesn't get it. The Canucks (and WD realises this) stand or fall on their combined effort. There are no high talent/elite players in this team and the two who are close to that level are old and slow. That fact means others have to compensate in effort.

To get the kind of effort and compete with the size of players at his disposal Desjardins has had to come up with a system that plays to these strengths and he has.

Your problem is you want to deny the man credit by somehow creating the illusion that we have a roster like the Leafs, Jets, Columbus, Buffalo etc. We haven't that is just the myth put out by the media and swallowed whole by people like you.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

The fact is and you were doing your head in at the time, WD was the one who changed Sven's game, not Green. He came up soft lacking compete (this was probably what Burke saw but unlike Willie didn't try to fix it)  go check the thread and you will see what opinion was of him.

WD has never had the opportunity to handle "pure talent" that is why his achievements are so commendable. Sven is NOT pure talent but he is a hell of a lot better than he was when he came up from Utica.

The power play didn't change his style, don't talk rubbish. It was being given tough love and told that he had to not only use his skill but compete consistently if he wanted to remain in the team.

"There is also a compete level that’s been missing. And whether Baertschi is scoring or not, his place in the lineup was always predicated on being just as good without the puck as he can be with it. It’s why Willie Desjardins stuck with the left winger last season when he needed a dozen games to score his first goal"

"VANCOUVER — It was a move Sven Baertschi didn’t like much at the time, but one the Vancouver Canucks winger says probably did him a whole lot of good.

After finishing an ugly minus-3 with no shots on goal in a 4-2 defeat at Florida last month, head coach Willie Desjardins plunked the talented winger in the press box the following night to give him some perspective."

No one expects? Don't be silly? The point is not what people expect, it is what these players can be encouraged.coached to offer. 

And it is because they have risen to the challenge under the coach that they have been often one of the best lines. That is what allows them to be rewarded by playing extra minutes and further up the line.

On the contrary, it's you that doesn't get it. The Canucks (and WD realises this) stand or fall on their combined effort. There are no high talent/elite players in this team and the two who are close to that level are old and slow. That fact means others have to compensate in effort.

To get the kind of effort and compete with the size of players at his disposal Desjardins has had to come up with a system that plays to these strengths and he has.

Your problem is you want to deny the man credit by somehow creating the illusion that we have a roster like the Leafs, Jets, Columbus, Buffalo etc. We haven't that is just the myth put out by the media and swallowed whole by people like you.

I'm sorry alf I can't live in your fantasy world where willie is god and is the creature of everything.  It's funny when the quotes from WD himself don't agree with you. he's stated before that Sven's confidence grew when he got powerplay opportunity in December of 2015 due to injuries, WD himself credits that to the turning point of sven's season last year.  Coming straight from the horses mouth.  So you live in your dream world, i'll live in reality.  

What I really find funny is that you alway blame media,  I'm NOT from Vancouver. I don't get to listen to Vancouver media, i get to listen to flames media and they never talk about Vancouver.  You can blame the Vancouver media for giving canucks fans so much negativity, but people have to actually listen to that for it to have an impact and when you don't live in vancouver it's pretty hard to listen....

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm sorry alf I can't live in your fantasy world where willie is god and is the creature of everything.  It's funny when the quotes from WD himself don't agree with you. he's stated before that Sven's confidence grew when he got powerplay opportunity in December of 2015 due to injuries, WD himself credits that to the turning point of sven's season last year.  Coming straight from the horses mouth.  So you live in your dream world, i'll live in reality.  

What I really find funny is that you alway blame media,  I'm NOT from Vancouver. I don't get to listen to Vancouver media, i get to listen to flames media and they never talk about Vancouver.  You can blame the Vancouver media for giving canucks fans so much negativity, but people have to actually listen to that for it to have an impact and when you don't live in vancouver it's pretty hard to listen....

He could hardly say it was because he was giving him tough love - surely by this time even you can see that is not how he operates. Even when he pb'd Sven for one game after Florida he said he wasn't "disciplining" him and yet I quoted to you on the other thread exactly how Sven saw it - and he said it bucked him up.

So no I don't take what Willie is quoted as saying to be the same as what his actual intentions are.

1 minute ago, b3. said:

Regardless of Uticas offensive capabilities, a player of JVs supposed abilities should be able to put up some points.

I believe a team's system dictates player stats more than individual talent. Individual talent and where you play in a line up usually reflects more on where you rank in team scoring. Throw in the fact that he's still learning the pro game at 20 years old it shouldn't be surprising he's not putting up numbers. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Mind you Jake is also playing with Wacey Hamilton and Carter Bancks..  Quality character guys but players with hands of stone.

Hamilton and Bancks have been playing better than Jake though... if anything, they both got the short end of the stick by getting paired up with Jake, not the other way around. 

• Upvote 3