The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

'The Price Is Wrong'. :excl:

If it isn't bad enough that TSN and SNet have centralized the Leafs and Toronto as Canada's Team.. we have to put up with the old farts passing their gas , and getting high off their own tabloid / 3 stooge radio journalism every morning. 

Move on boys, go suck on them oysters at Fortes..  you need em.

3 hours ago, ihaveyuidonttouchme said:

time to bring Virtanen's life back again

had a great game just like the one i've posted some weeks ago

the only thing i'd want to see him do more is actually hitting the net...

oh and his regular linemates were Pelletier 23 and Kunyks 

Wow, I think he looked really good that game! Great speed, nice hands, flying past defenders. Good to see!

7 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Wow, I think he looked really good that game! Great speed, nice hands, flying past defenders. Good to see!

Wasn't that the game that all the Canuck brass was in attendance? seems he went back to his normal self after that. I don't know why people are upset about Price, he raises a lot of points that a lot of Canuck fans have about Virtanen. Even Benning and Linden have had lukewarm answers regarding this kid vs when he was drafted. Virtanen has a long long road ahead of him.

5 hours ago, ihaveyuidonttouchme said:

Jake looks like he may have found his "stuff" Pretty impressive effort and unlucky not to get something for his efforts.

If he plays as well for the rest of the season it may not be long before he gets back into the Canucks.

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

Wasn't that the game that all the Canuck brass was in attendance? seems he went back to his normal self after that. I don't know why people are upset about Price, he raises a lot of points that a lot of Canuck fans have about Virtanen. Even Benning and Linden have had lukewarm answers regarding this kid vs when he was drafted. Virtanen has a long long road ahead of him.

I don't think there were any Canucks brass at the game in Utica yesterday.  We had over a foot of snow and the Aud was half empty.  Linden was at the game in Springfield on Saturday but the Northeast got hammered with snow on Sunday so I imagine Linden joined the team in Buffalo yesterday and skipped Utica.  Western NY didn't get hit as hard as we did.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I don't think there were any Canucks brass at the game in Utica yesterday.  We had over a foot of snow and the Aud was half empty.  Linden was at the game in Springfield on Saturday but the Northeast got hammered with snow on Sunday so I imagine Linden joined the team in Buffalo yesterday and skipped Utica.  Western NY didn't get hit as hard as we did.  

Were you at the game Utica?

Can you give an update on how both Virtanen and Gaunce are looking?

While you're at it, any thoughts on Cassels?!

13 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Brendan is also two years older and is far more seasoned than Jake. 

Well, yeah, but 32 fewer games!? Virtanen is trying to do the right things from the sounds of it down there, but as a 6th overall, offensive power forward with speed and great shot, there should be more.

I'm a fan of Gaunce (my sig kinda gives it away - love his attitude to the game) but he plays the straightforward game on offence well. He might not be a true power forward but he skates well north/south and can shoot the puck. Gets in the dirty areas, works hard, and plays smart. With the exception to a little extent of the hockey IQ/playing smart portion, that's what we need Virtanen to be doing with his game.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Yeah, normally I like Blake Price. But the reason he "just noticed" is probably because like most of our media, he doesn't pay attention to what's going on in Utica and just picks out the negatives (or campaigns for someone to be recalled if they're on a hot streak) to bait people into blind reactions.

They don't call the media Pressitutes for no reason. :) 

11 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

He was, but Gaunce has been playing with them since he got reassigned and they've meshed pretty well. Virtanen's on a line with Kunyk and Pelletier now. They've had mixed results 5 on 5 (Pelletier was also scratched for yesterday's game) but Virtanen did have some good chances with them today as well as a few setting up on the left side on the powerplay. He was also out for the 6-on-4 and 6-on-5 late trying to tie the game. Hopefully he can continue to play in a more offensive role and put some points on the board, but we'll see.

10 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Gaunce had 30 points his first full year in the AHL and Virtanen isn't on pace to break 20 if they play the same amount of games.

Is that more accurate than the Blake tweets people want to take offence to?

+1(s)

The tweet isn't so crappy as people make it out to be. It's just highlighting the difference between a player like Gaunce, who isn't about the flash at all, and Virtanen, who finds a way into the highlight reel when he's on with a hit or shot or break. None of that means Virtanen can't ever find that extra gear and offensive push, but I've got more time in my day for Gaunce playing a solid but boring role here with us and then heading back with a positive outlook and putting up points for his team.

3 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

The one thing that amazes me with Virtanen is that even at 215-220lbs, this guy can skate tremendously fast.

21 minutes ago, nzan said:

Were you at the game Utica?

Can you give an update on how both Virtanen and Gaunce are looking?

While you're at it, any thoughts on Cassels?!

A little snow isn't going to stop me from going lol.

I'll start with Gaunce - I was a little concerned that he would come down pouting which other players have done in the past.  Completely the opposite because it looks like Gaunce came down on a mission to get called back up quickly.  He and Archibald were the Comets two best players during the three games this weekend.  Friday Gaunce had a goal, an assist, a +3 with 7 shots on goal and was hitting everyone in sight.   He followed it up with solid games on Saturday and Sunday.

Virtanen - Had a very good game yesterday but still needs to bring that compete level to every game although he is improving in that facet.  It's disappointing that it hasn't resulted in any points.  I do think he needs line mates that can match his speed and skill but painfully they do not exist in Utica with a roster devoid of much skill.

Cassels - Defensively he plays well but brings virtually nothing to the table offensively.  He had a couple of good offensive opportunities last night that he fumbled away with poor stick handling skills and went off the ice visibly upset slamming his stick against the boards at the bench.  Looks like his lack of offense is starting to wear on him. 

• Upvote 4

Ive been watching quite a few of there gamea lately and he is looking quite confident now. A few things he really needs to work on though are his break outs his shot accuracy and his predictability. He is either flying down the wing and take a hard and high wrist shot or goes around the net and into the corner and passes back to the point nearly every rush. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, phishnapper said:

Ive been watching quite a few of there gamea lately and he is looking quite confident now. A few things he really needs to work on though are his break outs his shot accuracy and his predictability. He is either flying down the wing and take a hard and high wrist shot or goes around the net and into the corner and passes back to the point nearly every rush. 

Pretty sure thats just what Jake has always done. Same thing in Junior, except in Junior he could score on those shots or he could beat the defenders wide. I dont think he'll ever be much of a scorer in the NHL.

As long as he's skating hard though I can see him being a decent 3rd line guy. His speed is truly incredible for a guy his size.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ihaveyuidonttouchme said:

Still looking like he's on track.

The difference between a bust and an NHL player, is the NHL players is willing to do what it takes.

It's all mindset. Considering his conditioning results and strides towards a consistent game, Virtanen is well on his way.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • b3. unlocked this topic