The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Virtanen has the 3rd highest shots on goal per game (Grenier: 2.34, Subban: 2.29 and Virt: 2.26) on the team, for players with over 10 games played.  He also is amongst some of the lowest shooting percentages on the team.  Leads you to believe that he is getting his chances but just not converting.

44 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Virtanen has the 3rd highest shots on goal per game (Grenier: 2.34, Subban: 2.29 and Virt: 2.26) on the team, for players with over 10 games played.  He also is amongst some of the lowest shooting percentages on the team.  Leads you to believe that he is getting his chances but just not converting.

From what I've seen, his shot selection is poor. Reminds me of Samuelsson, taking all those shots from the far wings. Not really shooting from dangerous areas so easy for goalie to stop.

• Upvote 1

I watched the game tonight too. I thought virtanen looked fine. Cassels is the problem. Omg he is terrible I had high hopes for that guy. Unrealistic hopes I guess. Funkys right about the stream tho. Hand to focus sometimes.  Virt needs to work on his shot big time in the off season. If it was just a little more accurate he'd have a ton more goals. So many shots over the net (not so much tonight just what I've noticed watching him) 

• Upvote 1

He had a couple really nice take aways which is one underrated talent the kid has. Don't worry about the shot totals. Like I said above he just needs to work on his shot a bit get a bit more accuracy. It would be nice if he played with a better centre, not just some defensive scrub. Cassels is pretty bad. He literally creates nothing and his turnover rate must be so high. I must have screamed "feed him" iunno how many times breaking out and cassels would with make a turnover or panic and just dump it in

virt don't hit anymore (well nothing remotely close to last year) it's stupid I see the puck get dumped into the zone and I'm waiting to see virt come into the screen to flatten someone and nothing....

I think sometimes we are asking a lot out of Virtanen, this being his first pro season (aside from last season, where he wasn't and shouldn't have been in the NHL). Fans expect him to be good at everything. He's not going to be good at everything. Definitely a work in progress with this kid, and we'll see how he turns out. Might not be worthy of being selected at 6th overall, but what can you do about that now? lol. all we can do is just continue rooting for the kid to be successful, hope to God that he has an awesome off-season where he keeps his weight down, and works like hell on his shot so that when he does come back next season in Utica - he's producing offensively and driving the play for whatever line he's on. IF he makes the Canucks, I want him to be at least on the middle six, no bottom six time - he just won't develop like that. He needs repetition and the only way he's going to get most of that is down in the AHL practicing good habits, and having those good work habits ingrained in his every day.

Glad he got a point tonight. Better than blanks.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

When Benning talked about Jake never facing adversity, look no further than Alex Burrows. Burr was never drafted, played in the ECHL and played his first full season in the AHL with the Moose. He scored only 9 goals in 72 games and he was 23. A year later, Burr is playing in his NHL rookie season. By the time he was 27, he was ready to take that next step as Coach AV put him on the Sedin line. The rest is history and whether Burrows finishes his career as a Canuck or not, #14 will one day be in the ROH.

Let's see how Jake does by the time he's 23. Or 24. Or 27.  

He won't be taking up a contract if he doesn't figure it out by 27.

7 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

From what I've seen, his shot selection is poor. Reminds me of Samuelsson, taking all those shots from the far wings. Not really shooting from dangerous areas so easy for goalie to stop.

Samuelson was able to be a fairly productive player.

I really want to see Jake with some creative linemates. Part of what I believe is going on is that Jake is forcing shots thru that maybe he shouldn't.  

He does need to hit, but I am not worried about him being physical.

We don't know what coaching he is getting, whether Green wants him to focus on his play without the puck, not putting himself out of position to make a hit... for example. 

It seems to be a complete tear down and rebuild kinda season for Jake.  That's okay, provided that he turns he corner next year. 

EW

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, manroth19 said:

virt don't hit anymore (well nothing remotely close to last year) it's stupid I see the puck get dumped into the zone and I'm waiting to see virt come into the screen to flatten someone and nothing....

This is most alarming.  I remember all the hate the Torres/Virtanen comparisons got last year but that was based upon if Virtanen ended up in a bottom six role atleast he'd still be a banger.  Now if he is not even hitting how is he going to make an impact at the NHL level? 

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

This is most alarming.  I remember all the hate the Torres/Virtanen comparisons got last year but that was based upon if Virtanen ended up in a bottom six role atleast he'd still be a banger.  Now if he is not even hitting how is he going to make an impact at the NHL level? 

Agreed. This is the alarming part. I was hoping he would go down and work on his positioning and using his size. He has all the tools to be an impact player, but it seems he will need more time to put it all together.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No, you get ridiculed because you're a pud and all you ever contribute to this thread is wet sharts of opinions on Virtanen and defending yourself.  From your first post to your last

You wouldn't be ridiculed if you didn't leave yourself so open to it.  3 years of hating on a kid has GOT to be wearing thin.  Literally cannot be bothered to say anything positive about him and are no doubt sitting with a cute party hat on stand by for the possible moment the team gives up on him thus validating your oh so noteworthy opinion.

It's a scenario where instead of trying to defend yourself endlessly or degrading a prospect you could simply...just not post

Still won't get it.

21 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Pronman throwing some shade:

He's not wrong though.

I want to see how Jake's second season in the AHL will be like offensively. If he's producing at this current rate next season, then there is cause for concern for sure. 

• Upvote 2

As a longtime and passionate Canucks fan who takes a great deal of interest in our prospect pool, I strongly recommend listening to Benning and more importantly, Coach Green whenever they're being interviewed. They see the pro prospects on a regular basis. It's easy to base our opinions from the Vancouver sports media. However, the best and most insightful info comes from those who personally know and deal with these young men. When I hear Coach Green being pleased with Jake's attitude, that's progress right there.

Edited by Tiger-Hearted
  • Upvote 4