The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

To be fair he only ever maxed out at junior at a point per game. That's not much in the WHL considering stars from that league light it up well over 1.25-1.5 points per game as young kids before entering the draft.

His ceiling is far lower than many presumed, comparing the kid to Lucic and Perry was unfair and naive from the get go. 

For him to not be a bust we need 20 goals out of him consistently for a few seasons, good defence and strong physical play. He can take his time to get to that level at the NHL, but for me if he only ever scores 5-15 goals a few times he's not worth the 6th overall pick, especially considering the guys selected after him and the controversy that came with it. I can live with 20 goals for a few years and good physical play maybe in 3-5 years from Jake, I can't live with anything less than that from the Canucks highest pick since the Sedins.

i understand, of course, that he would definitely be a disappointment if he only hit 5-15 goals. major bust written all over him, and it would probably be better to ship him out of town if that's the case. he'd face scrutiny here like nobody else, dunno if that'd be good for him. 

On 2017-02-03 at 1:21 PM, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Apparently, Dave Babych agrees with me as to Jake's ceiling: "I think Jake would be a perennial 30-goal scorer if they just let him fly down the wing." (from: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/jim-benning-canucks-future-nhl-1.3964190). Now, I'm not 100% sure whether he's talking NHL or AHL... :P 

I agree.  Some times coaches need to let players just play.  

On 2017-02-17 at 5:26 PM, Alflives said:

I disagree with your assertion.  You don't believe Jake knew his professional responsibilities last season, and summer?  I think he knew, but chose to ignore them.  This is not to say he can't improve, and make the needed sacrifices now.  My issue is with JB selecting (with such a high pick) a player who lacked in character, after stating he drafted for character.  I could see taking a risk with a later pick, but not with six overall.

Alf,  

Not many 20 y/o's know anything. They think they know everything. Jake is at the same age as second year college kids, I work as a Paramedic in a University town.  What 20 y/o's don't know could fill the ocean. It is hilarious and it is also amazing that any millennial survives long enough to become an adult... 

EW

• Upvote 3

On 2017-02-18 at 2:24 PM, The 5th Line said:

Plenty of discussion goes on about Jake and his current performance, I don't know why people keep refuting this.  But please explain why this thread shouldn't be about who Benning should or shouldn't have selected?  It is very much a part of the discussion and you have no right telling people what or what not to talk about.  I am not encouraging people to talk about other players and quite frankly, other players are brought up in to the discussion by people who claim they don't want to be talking about those said players..Personally, I am fine with never talking about them again(in this thread).  

But what are people supposed to talk about when Jake continuously puts 0's on the board? He played last night but nobody said a word  0 goals, 0 assists 2 shots and a -2.  Same old story.  Not many people watch games in Utica so it's harder to find in depth analysis around here.  The way I see it, people should be allowed to discuss anything that remotely has to do with Jake, and that includes his draft status and who was drafted around him.  Just because you are tired of hearing something, doesn't mean you can come in here and tell people how to act or what YOU want them to talk about.   

There is a decent amount of talk regarding Jake's play, if you scroll through all of the other BS......

You need to buy a horse, shoot it to death and then beat it everyday.

That's what you are doing here. Ad nauseam repeated posts about events that took place over two years ago that cannot be undone. More so you had no input into the event and are merely a spectator. 

Take it to the 'I hate JB thread'. I am sure the Guardian has one around here somewhere. 

Posters come to this thread and want to talk about and follow our prospect. Not rehash events that have already occurred and are now history. 

Its called edict and this community needs to have some to be a place fans enjoy coming too. 

EW

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 4

15 hours ago, J.R. said:

Virtanen always has been and likely will be, a complimentary player. 

His size and speed can push back defenders and make room for more creative guys to make plays and he's got a great shot to finish off plays they then create. 

We have any of those guys on Utica this year? Anybody...?

You combine that with Green being tasked with rebuilding his game, making him in to a pro, getting rid of his bad junior habits etc and you have to wonder why so many seem surprised he's not scoring a ton onabad Utica team. 

I'm sure someone will twist that in to 'making excuses' :rolleyes:

Hopefully, after getting back to basics this season and learning what it takes to be a pro, we get to see him on a line with say Gaudette next year. He's seems to have a nice north south, hard working game with the requisite skill required to match well with Virtanen. 

Exactly,

Jake isn't a guy who can do it all. Then again, neither was Naslund, Bert and lots of other players. Horvat is a do it all kinda player, but that is a rare find. That's what makes him so good, so young. 

Get a playmaker with vision and pair him with a fit and trim Virtannen.  Good things will happen.  That isn't happening in Utica unless some of our college prospects leave early enough to join the Comets. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

1A for Jake in Utica's 7-4 loss to the Phantoms.

15 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

And an even +/- too. I believe Jake is also on a 2-game point streak now. 

1 assist.  Even rating.

Solid defensively then I'd assume.

Anyone know how he played today besides stats?  Was he engaged

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

1 assist.  Even rating.

Solid defensively then I'd assume.

Anyone know how he played today besides stats?  Was he engaged

He was coming back to defend more (not unlike the past few games). It seems like Green has finally hammered into him the importance of defensive responsibility. 

He didn't seem too engaged offensively though, which is worrisome.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

He was coming back to defend more (not unlike the past few games). It seems like Green has finally hammered into him the importance of defensive responsibility. 

Why don't we just let the kid play?  Maybe we are trying to break the fight out of a bronco, and we will ruin him in the process?

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why don't we just let the kid play?  Maybe we are trying to break the fight out of a bronco, and we will ruin him in the process?

I'm just posting about how I thought he played last game... which is what people want to read about on here.

If you want an honest game review, I'll give you my two cents. If you want a rose-coloured review, I'm not the guy for that.

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

I'm just posting about how I thought he played last game... which is what people want to read about on here.

If you want an honest game review, I'll give you my two cents. If you want a rose-coloured review, I'm not the guy for that.

I watch him on the Internet too.  I've seen most of the Utica games since he went down.  I see a kid with tremendous natural talent, who just looks lost out there.  Every now and then there is a flash of that talent, then it's back to him thinking where he should be.  That's why I mentioned the bronco analogy.  It's like he's got a rope around his neck, keeping him from playing freely.  Just take the friggin rope off, and let the kid play naturally.  

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Is that lack of engagement due to poor quality linemates or assignment from coaching? 

That's not a deflection just a genuine question as coaching staff could have directed him

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Is that lack of engagement due to poor quality linemates or assignment from coaching? 

That's not a deflection just a genuine question as coaching staff could have directed him

He seemed genuinely lost in the offensive zone, as if he were overthinking his positioning, role, etc. He even hesitated on a few plays where I think he could've gotten to the puck before the other guy had he not second guessed himself for a split second. 

I wouldn't attribute his play to his linemates simply because they looked much more dangerous and engaged than he did. If anything, he looked like the weak link. 

Like Alf mentioned, I'd try giving him a looser role to see what happens. It seems like Green's trying to instil too much structure into a player who previously succeeded using pure natural ability.

• Upvote 1