The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

That is one of the main things he needs to get away from, not do more of, if he's to develop in to an actual NHL player though. 

He's always been able to use his size, speed and shot to half-ass his way to success. He can't do that in the NHL.

He needs to learn to WORK at the pro level and THEN use those natural abilities to compliment that work.  Not continue to coast and rely on them. 

I agree that Jake needs time to develop discipline and structure in his game.  Still, I do hope that his instincts aren't undermined.  He needs to learn how to apply his instincts into the structured pro game.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I agree that Jake needs time to develop discipline and structure in his game.  Still, I do hope that his instincts aren't undermined.  He needs to learn how to apply his instincts into the structured pro game.

i'm hopeful that he will. 

11 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Absolutely! As I said:

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

He needs to learn to WORK at the pro level and THEN use those natural abilities to compliment that work.  Not continue to coast and rely on them. 

Edited by J.R.

The part that grinds my gears is the bit about Jake not being in shape, which to me was and is false. He spent almost everyday in the summer working out, unfortunately he was doing the wrong type of work. He was too heavy for his leg strength and lost some speed. Over the course of this season he has shed the muscle mass he did not need and I look forward to him having a good solid ending to this season.

If he doesn't make the team in the next 3 years I will be willing to call him a bad pick.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Nice Finnish said:

Does anyone go to these games and watch first hand? I just want to make sure I am trusting the right opinions in the thread who are seeing first hand.

There are a number of posters who frequent these games regularly.  Go to the Utica Comets thread and you'll see who they are pretty quickly.  

I remember watching a Sedin interview where they were asked how they changed to become successful NHL players. The Sedins first 3 years were disappointing to a point where they thought about staying in Sweden to play; however, the 4th year, they went back to Sweden to train and decided to start playing the game they knew how to play that got them drafted. From that point on, the Sedins excelled and started to play to expectation. They started playing their way.

Jake, on the other hand, used his size, speed, skill and physicality to produce at the junior level (when he wanted to). Even at the junior level, he was inconsistent.

At the NHL level, those physical attributes, the ones Jake used in junior to produce, are not as dominant because there are more bigger, faster and skilled players.

Therefore, Jake needs to learn how to play a pro game in addition to using his physical attributes. This might explain why he is thinking rather than reacting to the play, which puts him a step behind the play.

May be Jake needs to rely more on those physical attributes, the ones that got him drafted, and be confident in his abilities in order to play his game. The inconsistency, however, is something he needs to eliminate from his game because it has always been there.

23 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Is that lack of engagement due to poor quality linemates or assignment from coaching? 

That's not a deflection just a genuine question as coaching staff could have directed him

He looks engaged when I watch him.  He's skating well and buying into Greens system.  Thats what I see anyway.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

I never stated anything about knowing things about him in the off season.  You are once again just making things up/blowing them out of proportion in attempt to make me look bad.  

J.R can you please call off your hounds?  It's getting a little ridiculous

You spew vitriol At the canucks, management, prospects at every turn and now you're crying about people picking on you?

Boo hoo

• Upvote 1

• -SN- locked this topic

Alright who broke the other Virtanen thread?   

I know everyone thinks it's smart to keep JV down for the whole year, and that might very well be the case,  but every time I see Megna on the PP I can't help but think why not put a prospect in there that actually has some potential.  Megna's 51 minutes of PP time has done absolutely nothing for this franchise and quite honestly you can't screw up Virtanen's development anymore so it might be time to explore calling him up, especially if they move some deadweight at the TDL.  If he sucks then we'll know for sure, if he succeeds it gives both him and this fanbase some hope for next year, it also would raise his trade value through out the league if they wanted to package him for a more Benning type player with character. 

• Upvote 2

Any new updates from Travis Green?  His opinion is perhaps the most important.  The coach who has the job of teaching JV the finer points of the game and perhaps a few words here and there on how to be a professional.  

Points and stats are just part of the picture.  If Green says JV is showing up as the first guy on the ice, the last one to leave to take shots on the backup goalie, constantly at the gym, watching lots of videos and eating/living right.... that's more important than goals/points total.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Any new updates from Travis Green?  His opinion is perhaps the most important.  The coach who has the job of teaching JV the finer points of the game and perhaps a few words here and there on how to be a professional.  

Points and stats are just part of the picture.  If Green says JV is showing up as the first guy on the ice, the last one to leave to take shots on the backup goalie, constantly at the gym, watching lots of videos and eating/living right.... that's more important than goals/points total.  

Is Green going to say negative stuff?  What if JB is trying to trade Jake?  It's Jake's character, or lack there of, that was at issue, so JB wouldn't want Green saying anything but good things about Jake's new off ice habits, right?

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is Green going to say negative stuff?  What if JB is trying to trade Jake?  It's Jake's character, or lack there of, that was at issue, so JB wouldn't want Green saying anything but good things about Jake's new off ice habits, right?

Correct Alf.   Watch up when TB starts raving profoundly about Jake...  that will be day when he is about to be shopped  / moved.

58 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Not sure why there were two huge threads on the exact same topic open for that long anyways

Usually, once a player hits the big time, their thread in the prospects section dies out, never to be seen again. Since Jake was sent back down, it was revived, and thus we had two threads. For the last few months while Virtanen was in Utica though, the prospects one had a lot more discussion than this one.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Usually, once a player hit's the big time, their thread in the prospects section dies out, never to be seen again. Since Jake was sent back down, it was revived, and thus we had two threads. For the last few months while Virtanen was in Utica though, the prospects one had a lot more discussion than this one.

Logic won't get you anywhere on CDC!