The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Just now, The 5th Line said:

I don't know why people keep saying this.  His Junior career was literally him doing it all by himself..He would take the puck and skate it from one end of the rink to the other.  "He needs players to get him the puck" is just a cliche.  Like really, who doesn't need someone who can get them the puck?

Dont know if you noticed, but its not junior hockey anymore. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

He was in Junior just 1.5 years ago, I don't think his game has changed that much quite yet.  Depends how you look at it I guess.  I see guys like Jake and Bo as do it yourselfers, guys like Boeser need someone who can get them the puck

I tend to agree with this. Jake needs to find a way to be productive on his own accord by driving to the net and making plays for himself. I haven't seen him to be the guy that plays a Brett Hull like game - finding open space to be fed passes for one-timers. With that said, if there was other players on the team that could play off of his skills more, or set him up with quality chances, it would definitely help his overall offensive game. However, he hasn't found his game yet and there isn't much else driving the play down there though. 

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He was in Junior just 1.5 years ago, I don't think his game has changed that much quite yet.  Depends how you look at it I guess.  I see guys like Jake and Bo as do it yourselfers, guys like Boeser need someone who can get them the puck

I dont disagree with this, but unless he gets creative linemates who get him the puck or he becomes more shifty, all he will become is a straight line player. That would be such a waste, for a guy with that much talent and great genetics. 

• Upvote 2

On 28/02/2017 at 8:55 AM, KKnight said:

I dont disagree with this, but unless he gets creative linemates who get him the puck or he becomes more shifty, all he will become is a straight line player. That would be such a waste, for a guy with that much talent and great genetics. 

teams need straight line players

• Upvote 1

Although it's nice to see the positivity surrounding Virtanen in this thread, he was a high risk pick taken on raw potential and size alone. There's a real chance he might not have what it takes to play in the NHL, mentally and physically. 

• Upvote 1

hoping the new acquisitions in particular Goldobin sparks something in Jake.   he is working his tail off but seeing another skilled forward make the team might inspire him to give it that extra 10%.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

hoping the new acquisitions in particular Goldobin sparks something in Jake.   he is working his tail off but seeing another skilled forward make the team might inspire him to give it that extra 10%.

Yeah an extra 10% on top of what is the real question. At what percentage is he playing at currently 60%? I hope it is not 100% already because that would mean he has very little to room to grow. He still has a ways to go yet and I agree that having more youthful competition will do him good. Being given a roster spot on the Canucks that early went straight to his ego. That is partly why I wanted Goldobin to start in Utica to spark something down there. Best case scenario is that Gaunce, Megna, Chaput and Goldobin get sent down for the playoffs, maybe even Dahlen and any early NCAA signings and everyone gets on a role - this is of course assuming that Virtanen is still on the roster after adding those 4+ players into the lineup. I want to be positive about Virtanen, but he just got surpassed by two newly acquired prospects in my opinion. I hope he has an "oh sh*t" moment and kicks it up a notch. 

1. Boeser

2. Joulevi

3. Goldobin

4. Demko

5. Dahlen

6. Virtanen

7. Gaudette

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2017 at 0:43 AM, The 5th Line said:

Its not Jake's game that changed it's the quality of players that he is playing against.

in junior Jake had a mans body amongst boys who couldn't contain him.

in the AHL these are men that usually have the body strength that Jake is not used to.

which is the point where Jake needs to LEARN to use his strength and speed against the heavier competition and will also need to LEARN different ways to use his skillsets to become a regular NHLer.

Yes the current status of Jake is disconcerting but this is the battle of development. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Yeah an extra 10% on top of what is the real question. At what percentage is he playing at currently 60%? I hope it is not 100% already because that would mean he has very little to room to grow. He still has a ways to go yet and I agree that having more youthful competition will do him good. Being given a roster spot on the Canucks that early went straight to his ego. That is partly why I wanted Goldobin to start in Utica to spark something down there. Best case scenario is that Gaunce, Megna, Chaput and Goldobin get sent down for the playoffs, maybe even Dahlen and any early NCAA signings and everyone gets on a role - this is of course assuming that Virtanen is still on the roster after adding those 4+ players into the lineup. I want to be positive about Virtanen, but he just got surpassed by two newly acquired prospects in my opinion. I hope he has an "oh sh*t" moment and kicks it up a notch. 

1. Boeser

2. Joulevi

3. Goldobin

4. Demko

5. Dahlen

6. Virtanen

7. Gaudette

he is certainly working hard in Utica.  but the extra motivation may push him to maintain 100% and maybe give him the extra zest. Maybe give 110%

I agree though.   he probably got more then he could chew to start with.   his physical tools were to tantalizing for our gm to pass up.

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 1

Didn't watch his last game vs binginton but the night before vs the penguins he looked great. Super noticeable. Had a few good chance (1 great) a few good hits even 2 of his patented run over the guy who try's to hit him. Couple good back checks. Really engaged in the offensive zone not the lost look he had before. 

Kids really snake bitten you can you can see it. He fanned on the puck right infront of the net prime chance 2 shots blocked in close. He's definitely working hard in the last few games I've seen. 

Be nice if he had a bit more skill to play with.....playing with cassels must be hard. Guys a pure grinder always a step behind in the offensive zone (mind you I've only watched a handful of games but from what I've seen he's garbage, cassels that is)

33 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Although it's nice to see the positivity surrounding Virtanen in this thread, he was a high risk pick taken on raw potential and size alone. There's a real chance he might not have what it takes to play in the NHL, mentally and physically. 

The only chance he has of not making the NHL is if he isn't given one. Despite his year in Utica, he is still the youngest player on that team. We get caught up on other teams' players and forget that we weren't the tank teams that have sucked for years that got those top 10 picks.

We traded for Horvat and had an injury riddled team that got us Virtanen. We owe it to the rebuild to give the kid a shot, because the kind of things he needs to learn can only be coached and the kind of things that he has, like elite speed and shot, are the hard parts of the game to improve.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

The only chance he has of not making the NHL is if he isn't given one. Despite his year in Utica, he is still the youngest player on that team. We get caught up on other teams' players and forget that we weren't the tank teams that have sucked for years that got those top 10 picks.

We traded for Horvat and had an injury riddled team that got us Virtanen. We owe it to the rebuild to give the kid a shot, because the kind of things he needs to learn can only be coached and the kind of things that he has, like elite speed and shot, are the hard parts of the game to improve.

One could say that he's missing one of the most imperative unteachable traits - hockey IQ. 

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

One could say that he's missing one of the most imperative unteachable traits - hockey IQ. 

No such thing. He just hasn't been taught what he needs to know yet. Everything he needs to know can be drawn up on a whiteboard or learned in the film room. If you want to call it vision then maybe you have a point. That's why he seems to play so much better from the left side of the ice. It's the same thing with Goldobin. You notice that all of his highlights are him streaking down the right side of the ice as a left hand shot and his recent comments about liking the right side, where he has been playing recently. Same as Boeser. Almost all of his goals come from the left circle even though he plays RW.  

Jake will have a place on the new generation roster that is being built. With the high skill guys that have recently been acquired, his heavy, speed game will be a very useful tool for the coach to have at his disposal in the middle 6. 

He is serving an apprenticeship in "200 foot hockey" and as anyone in the trades knows, you got to get through some crap before you get your opportunities. It's simply a matter of training and I think we have the mentors, both in Utica and the big club, to show this guy how it's done!

Keep working hard Jake, as long as you want it bad you can't fail. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Reps, reps and more reps. And hopefully a bit more talent around him next year.

• Upvote 1

if jake can be a defensively sound, physical 3rd line winger that's good for 15-25 goals and 30-45 pts while creating havoc, getting other teams, particularly dmen, off their games, looking over their shoulders, and sticking up for his teammates by dropping the gloves when required, I'll be totally happy with the pick. 

like raffi torres++.

• Upvote 1

He just needs to find a comfort zone; he's spinning his wheels and isn't finding any solid traction or consistency, whether that's different linemates or not having a good mentor down there.

One of my biggest concern is his play away from the puck, not his positioning but his awareness. When he has the puck, his posture, engagement, and intensity are visible, but as soon as he isn't near the play or a direct influence, his knees straighten, he glides and doesn't get involved. It's insane to think that's what he has become after the 2015 WJC where he played like his head was on fire. The Ray Ferraro "Jannik Hansen" comparison I think is exactly what he needs to find; that intensity with and without the puck. If he's always moving, with that frame, skill, and speed, he would be a force. Is his shoulder bothering him mentally because he used to look for hits. Even look back to the 2015 AHL Playoffs against OKC Barons, he was flying.

Problem is, I'm scared he'll never put 2 and 2 together.

• Upvote 1

I think in his prime, Jake will play very well with a guy like Goldobin. Both guys have speed, but Goldobin can slow the game down and bring players to him creating space for Jake to do what he needs to do. If we are lucky maybe Gaudette could centre that line down the road too. Still a few years away, but an exciting idea.