The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

22 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

It's VERY POSSIBLE that Jake may have scored his last goal of the season. That's unless he gets a chance on the top two lines due to improved two-way play. 

I said "possible", not "definite". Lol.

Great to see Jake get on the score sheet. Hopefully, this will ignite his confidence. 

5 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

Jake just drew another penalty, been doing that a lot lately 

This is what's meant when we talk about what he brings aside from scoring numbers.  Draws penalties, puts defenders on their heels (and heads on a swivel), and is great at causing turnovers and retrieving loose pucks.

• Upvote 4

The biggest improvement in his game that I have noticed recently is his willingness to get involved in board battles. Before he was staying just on the outside and waiting for the puck to pop out or a teammate to win the battle and get the puck to him. Lately he just gets stuck in and tries to get the puck himself. There's lots to like about his game lately as he continues to develop a complete game at the pro level.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

The biggest improvement in his game that I have noticed recently is his willingness to get involved in board battles. Before he was staying just on the outside and waiting for the puck to pop out or a teammate to win the battle and get the puck to him. Lately he just gets stuck in and tries to get the puck himself. There's lots to like about his game lately as he continues to develop a complete game at the pro level.

I agree, he's playing like he's allowed to make mistakes, imo.  Whether that's being free of WD or just the pressure of playing for your hometown NHL team, who knows, but he looks pretty free and easy out there.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Heard more it was a lack of professional preparation.  He was overweight, out of shape, not preparing for games, not getting proper rest, and eating a poor diet.  His talent really has not been in question.  If the kid can figure out to be a pro, he could become a top player.

Yeah I heard about those issues with fitness, conditioning, diet, maturing etc.. I'd just like to hear some details related specifically to his actual playing. Obviously being overweight would affect speed and skating but what else? Is it just his overall game or are there some outstanding things?

11 minutes ago, amitriptyline said:

Yeah I heard about those issues with fitness, conditioning, diet, maturing etc.. I'd just like to hear some details related specifically to his actual playing. Obviously being overweight would affect speed and skating but what else? Is it just his overall game or are there some outstanding things?

Someone  posted Jake's fancy stats from his time with the Canucks, and they were all pretty good.  He was just not being professional in his preparation.  

21 minutes ago, amitriptyline said:

I assume you've been reading posts in this thread and Utica as well.  Lots of in depth talk in both.

glad to hear that jake's game is improving. small steps. glad he got a goal, and hope this instills a more consistent offensive production coming from him. he seems more confident to be sure with his game, and the way he seems to be playing. indications are good... 

9 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Again Jake scored on his off wing. Jake is a left winger. He must play there consistently to succeed. I can see Jake and Goldobin playing on a line together on their off wings with a young studly centre in the middle. Nico Hischier would definitely fit the bill. Is this the year the ping pong balls fall in Vancouver's favour?

I HOPE SO! 

Hirschier or Patrick would be amazing and would give this franchise a much needed boost. We have a chance, though to win the lottery. I'd rather just win the second overall, and not have to make the difficult choice of picking either Patrick or Hirschier.