The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Size, skill and speed is deadly. Most top teams have all three aspects. Kings, Hawks, Bruins, etc.

The Hawks are not a big team and in terms of physicality and style of play. Most Hawks fans joke that we are the softest team in the league, and hitting is just not in their game. Bickell is the only one on our team with some decent size and a physical game (even that seems like a stretch lol) but most of the fans want him gone. This whole size vs skill debate is stupid, it changes every year based on the fans perception of the team that won the Cup. When the Ducks won it was all about physicality. When the Wings won, it was all about skill. It changes every year. The only sustainable formula for success is that you build a puck possession team and you don't need a big hulking center like Kopitar to achieve that goal. A guy like Giroux is a fabulous player who would excel on any team (in any conference) with his skill, speed and 2 way play.

Imo the Canucks didn't draft Virtanen because he was a couple of inches taller than Nylander, they drafted him because they liked him better than Nylander. Saying something like Nylander is small so the Canucks did not want him is an insult to a GM like Benning.

• Upvote 3

Virtanen was announced to have picked up an assist on the tying goal at the end of the first. The commentators say it hit VIrtanen's skate on the way in on a goal-mouth scramble and so it is likely to be changed. It has been changed accordingly. That would be his 5th goal and 14th point in 14 games to keep him at a PPG.

EDIT:

I'm listening to the radio broadcast and from what I've heard Virtanen had 4 shot attempts in the first period. Couple of slappers. He and Tambellini also teamed up for a scoring chance but it was broken up by Haydn Fleury.

It seemed like Virtanen's line had themselves a solid period.

Edited by Canucks1219

Virtanen was announced to have picked up an assist on the tying goal at the end of the first. The commentators say it hit VIrtanen's skate on the way in on a goal-mouth scramble and so it is likely to be changed. It has been changed accordingly. That would be his 5th goal and 14th point in 14 games to keep him at a PPG.

EDIT:

I'm listening to the radio broadcast and from what I've heard Virtanen had 4 shot attempts in the first period. Couple of slappers. He and Tambellini also teamed up for a scoring chance but it was broken up by Haydn Fleury.

It seemed like Virtanen's line had themselves a solid period.

So depressing seeing him play on such a bad team. The Rockets would be amazing if they traded for him.

Calgary Hitmen @WHLHitmen

Three stars: 3. Adam Tambellini 2. Jake Virtanen 1. Kenton Helgesen!

The three stars compromised of the first line for Calgary. Huge night for them as the Hitmen beat the Rebels 6-2. Great comeback effort coming off of being shut out last night.

Virtanen has 11 points (3g, 8a) in ten November games despite being held pointless in four of the games.

3 single-point games.

1 two-point game.

2 three-point games.

EDIT:

Brad Curle @BCurle_Hitmen

The line of Kenton Helgesen (2g,1a), Jake Virtanen (1g,2a) and Adam Tambellini (1g, 2a) combine for nine points as @WHLHitmen beat RD 6-2.
Edited by Canucks1219

The three stars compromised of the first line for Calgary. Huge night for them as the Hitmen beat the Rebels 6-2. Great comeback effort coming off of being shut out last night.

Virtanen has 11 points (3g, 8a) in ten November games despite being held pointless in four of the games.

3 single-point games.

1 two-point game.

2 three-point games.

Its funny how players often come back from a long injury, seem to do really well for the first few games, then seem to hit a wall for a week or so, then suddenly come back to life and start producing again!

think William wellwood is injured in the SEL.

Ya I just read about it too.

In all honesty, the kid is nasty in Europe. I watched his highlights so far this season and he's unbelievably skilled. I don't think it'll translate the same to the NA game but he will be an effective player, as much as I hate to admit it; he has the confidence and the compete to make it happen.

I want him to play with McDavid at the WJC. Omg that would be a dream

I haven't really followed up with McDavid since the injury but its possible that he may miss the WJC, it will be a huge blow for Canada. We need him in there, its been a while since we won.

Because the Bruins do value skill as well.

Just because their identity was built around guys like Chara and Lucic, doesn't mean they don't have smaller skilled guys in their lineup.

See Griffith and Khokhlachev as their examples this season.

Size, skill and speed is deadly. Most top teams have all three aspects. Kings, Hawks, Bruins, etc.

Of course, it was a rhetorical question to the assertion that he wants a "big and tough" team, as if that's the only players he seeks. Benning made it clear he wants size but is more focused on speed and skill.