The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

which is why he probably needs another season with Utica. 

if Green becomes coach, I can see Jake on the Canucks, and Green continues to work with him. 

I believe the goals will eventually come for Jake. his hands are too good for him not to score. 

Jake is a long ways from being an NHLer. It's not enough to just skate fast in the NHL, lots of players can do that.

He simply lacks the consistency to be an AHLer at this point, let alone an NHLer.

Edited by DeNiro

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

A fresh start is real. If he doesn't get traded then have that car crash thing I doubt and follows it up with a successful substance abuse rehab I don't think he commits himself the way he has.  It is bitter sweet to see him be the player we wanted him to be but you have to remember it's a moot point because he wasn't doing that for us.

As a 61-yr old man, I cannot agree with you enough.

55 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Jake is a long ways from being an NHLer. It's not enough to just skate fast in the NHL, lots of players can do that.

He simply lacks the consistency to be an AHLer at this point, let alone an NHLer.

Too harsh. Imagine Jake as your son, or brother.  All that skill, all that expectation.  All that learning he still has to do.  But I believe he will get there.

2 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

Too harsh. Imagine Jake as your son, or brother.  All that skill, all that expectation.  All that learning he still has to do.  But I believe he will get there.

It has nothing to do with feelings and everything to do with results.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

It has nothing to do with feelings and everything to do with results.

Results over what length of time, compared to whom? I would usually agree with you -- and against the subjectivists -- but I think this guy needs some time.  We brought Rodin over here and he was already years older than Jake.  Megna, Vey, etc., all 2 to 3 years older.  I'm not sure how we train players or teach them the crucial stuff.  But V. is not over til he gets enough time in the next 2 years. 

I agree though on the problem of goals and assists: Virtanen has to start thinking of himself as a points producer, and not a hitter. If he doesn't start getting a point a game production out of his AHL time, he has to get a new career.

1 minute ago, gameburn2 said:

Results over what length of time, compared to whom? I would usually agree with you -- and against the subjectivists -- but I think this guy needs some time.  We brought Rodin over here and he was already years older than Jake.  Megna, Vey, etc., all 2 to 3 years older.  I'm not sure how we train players or teach them the crucial stuff.  But V. is not over til he gets enough time in the next 2 years. 

I agree though on the problem of goals and assists: Virtanen has to start thinking of himself as a points producer, and not a hitter. If he doesn't start getting a point a game production out of his AHL time, he has to get a new career.

Haydn Fleury, a defenseman taken one spot after Jake, has more points in the AHL. That can't be considered a success by any stretch.

Does that mean he's a bust? No, but his development has definitely been a disappointment for a 6th overall pick so far.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Haydn Fleury, a defenseman taken one spot after Jake, has more points in the AHL. That can't be considered a success by any stretch.

Does that mean he's a bust? No, but his development has definitely been a disappointment for a 6th overall pick so far.

V had moments in his first year on the Canucks.  Beautiful passes, nice finishes.  Forechecks leading to goals we haven't seen since Lapierre. But in the next year? Fall off.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, BCNate said:

Agreed.  He spent this year developing a strong 2 way game, next year will be focused on developing the offensive side of his game.  Virt, Boesser, Dahlen should bring a high level of skill to Utica next year.

So many threads running in so many directions.  Not enough opportunity for all of us to credit those who improve this board.

Gratz.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

Interesting the have jake with the likely nhl player as opposed to the career ahlers who top the point list.

And hey, hes scoring points.

Who would've thought Jake would be playing better with better players. He's going to be a good player die the Canucks. It'll just take some the stuff that some parts here don't have much of: patience. LMAO  

All joking aside. Glad to see him play and get a point tonight on Goldobin goal. Too bad they won't be playing in the playoffs this season. Both the big club and the minor league club miss the postseason. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Who would've thought Jake would be playing better with better players. He's going to be a good player die the Canucks. It'll just take some the stuff that some parts here don't have much of: patience. LMAO  

All joking aside. Glad to see him play and get a point tonight on Goldobin goal. Too bad they won't be playing in the playoffs this season. Both the big club and the minor league club miss the postseason. 

Well to everyone's defense, there wasn't really anyone else with Goldobin's ilk or moxy for Jake to play with so ya....career ahl'ers it was. 

Now to get a good center and that could be a good young line to start the year

Goldobin-Patrick?-Virtanen

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Well to everyone's defense, there wasn't really anyone else with Goldobin's ilk or moxy for Jake to play with so ya....career ahl'ers it was. 

Now to get a good center and that could be a good young line to start the year

Goldobin-Patrick?-Virtanen

Would you switch Goldie and Jake's sides (put them on their off wings)?

12 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

He had 9 goals this year in the AHL. Find one player comparable to that who went on to a top line career in the NHL. I have no doubt he can end up a 3rd or 4th line player at some point, but the dream of a high scoring power forward i think is not likely to happen.

Focusing on goals/points in the AHL is missing the point of the AHL - he is developing and has been given clear development goals/instructions.   If you hear Green say he is progressing and doing well, then he is doing exactly that.   Anyway, you stay negative and have unrealistic expectations but then when he does develop and do well at least admit how wrong you were.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Drewismyname said:

Ryan keslers first go at the ahl 9 pnts in 33 games.

If you remove jakes year in the nhl ( because they didnt want him in junior) its similar.

First full season iin the nhl 2 years later, 23 points.

Actually. Kesler in his first season at Manitoba, in 33 games, had 11 points (3 goals, 8 assists).