The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Focusing on goals/points in the AHL is missing the point of the AHL - he is developing and has been given clear development goals/instructions.   If you hear Green say he is progressing and doing well, then he is doing exactly that.   Anyway, you stay negative and have unrealistic expectations but then when he does develop and do well at least admit how wrong you were.

i would be very happy to admit i'm wrong if indeed jake becomes a legit top six NHLer. i'm rooting for the kid of course. 

it's hard not to be negative when all other prospects (it seems) are doing so much "better" - but jake's path, i think also was a little uncanny. yes, this is jake's +3 draft season, but technically, this is jake's first full AHL season. even if this is his 3rd season post draft. next season is what i'm most curious about. since he's had a full season in the AHL is his second season in the AHL, and how he will do compared to his first season. if there's regression next season, then yes, we should be worried. if there's progression, then that's good news! 

Just now, Drewismyname said:

Basically jakes production

yep. i think so many people are stuck at the draft position, and people seem to always pigeon hole players. 

horvat wasn't supposed to be anything more than a 3rd line centre, he's not a low end 1st centreman; solid second centreman for sure. 

kesler - same thing; good solid third liner. he became an elite second line centreman. 

jake? again. 3rd liner, but most of us are hoping that he becomes more than that. 

8 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

I think maybe he shouldn't be viewed as the player selected at the draft number he was picked at, as I'm more wary of the person who selected him. PERIOD

whoa shot fired across the bow here. I trust JB to deliver another good player this year but yeah he definitely needs to redeem himself if Jake washes out. I personally think Jake will be a good player for the Canucks in a year or two. If Hansen could dot it I cant see why Jake wont

Edited by two drink minimum

Youd think with the number of picks who have exceeded expectations in later rounds, he may just know what hes doin.

I read an article where green said they make jake ride the stationary bike for a half hour followingg every game. While the lifer ahl guys are getting dressed prob heading to the hotel restaurant.

Benning knows what hes doing. Look at the boeser pick. Hes like a bigger claude giroux. Tryamkin, an offensive secret weapon with a defensive game that could fit in on most playoff bottom pairings on his only second year. Troy stecher, first year undersized comes in and plays like a &^@#ing norris candidate (okay maybe thats a stretch). The guy knows hockey.

C8lKVbwU0AIaoVC.jpg

If that alone isnt enough proof of maturation and 'something going on under our noses' i dont know what is. Some of the negetive posters on here just need to shut the hell up.

So what theyre paid millions. If u cant support the team in its whole go support the pens or the oilers or the sharks

If u dont think the $&!# fans say gets through to the players You're short sighted. Only in the pathetic canucks market could a local boy be treated so bad they have to ship him to utica to be developed. Makes me want to vomitt. The type of filth that leeches confidense from a young man seriously doesnt deserve to have a voice among the canucks community

My vote says the mods should start getting rid of the obvious cancers in the fanbase who do nothing but discourage positivity and growth.

Edited by Drewismyname
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Focusing on goals/points in the AHL is missing the point of the AHL - he is developing and has been given clear development goals/instructions.   If you hear Green say he is progressing and doing well, then he is doing exactly that.   Anyway, you stay negative and have unrealistic expectations but then when he does develop and do well at least admit how wrong you were.

Actually i'm not negative at all i am a huge fan of Jake and would love for him to be a top line player. There is still time i realize that but as of right now and this past season he hasn't shown it yet. I'm not sure you understand hockey if you think points in the AHL are not important points of a player's development. He is developing, just not at a first line kind of player that they were hoping for with a 6th overall pick. 

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Actually i'm not negative at all i am a huge fan of Jake and would love for him to be a top line player. There is still time i realize that but as of right now and this past season he hasn't shown it yet. I'm not sure you understand hockey if you think points in the AHL are not important points of a player's development. He is developing, just not at a first line kind of player that they were hoping for with a 6th overall pick. 

Who do you mean by they? What authority do you have to speak for 'them'?

Look at the $&!# show he came into. The sedins spending all game looking for a dog to &^@#. Kesler washing his hands of it. Probably getting any woman he wants. Have a bit of leeway and understanding. Ur a fan, what gives you the right to give him $&!#?

Edited by Drewismyname

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Haydn Fleury, a defenseman taken one spot after Jake, has more points in the AHL. That can't be considered a success by any stretch.

Does that mean he's a bust? No, but his development has definitely been a disappointment for a 6th overall pick so far.

Every single defenceman from the 2014 1st round has a higher AHL pt/game than Jake

Who do you mean by they? What authority do you have to speak for 'them'?

So you think teams pick in the top 6 to get a third or fourth line player? Drafting is certainly no science and some are wins, some are not. That's the way she goes, no one can predict that. What authority do you have thinking anything other than a top or second line player is a huge win?

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

So you think teams pick in the top 6 to get a third or fourth line player? Drafting is certainly no science and some are wins, some are not. That's the way she goes, no one can predict that. What authority do you have thinking anything other than a top or second line player is a huge win?

Your argument shows how retarded you think everyone is.

We arent saying he is a third liner. He is being developed in a small market away from black holes of negetivity like yourself.

Ur argument is so irrational i wonder did jake take your girlfriend or something?

Your argument shows how retarded you think everyone is.

We arent saying he is a third liner. He is being developed in a small market away from black holes of negetivity like yourself.

Ur argument is so irrational i wonder did jake take your girlfriend or something?

?? Um i don't think anyone is retarded... wow. Can i not have an opinion?

My argument is not irrational, Jake was rated higher on most charts than Ehlers and Nylander...guess why that was. It was because of him having the looks of a power forward who can score goals and take over a game. Yes he is being developed but if you watch any games and see his stats... right now it is not adding up to be a top line player. Next year he could take a huge jump forward... or he could stay the same. No one knows at this point but based upon this last season it is not looking like a future top line player right now.

3 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

Ur way too early to the dance if ur claiming his worth at 20 years old on a team who nosedived the year before his draft selection and a few leading up to it. Your argument is so bad im wondering if u have a personal grudge.

Where do you see him on the Canucks? What is this bs about personal grudge... i like the guy and a big fan of the pick at the time. Some picks work out and others don't.

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Where do you see him on the Canucks? What is this bs about personal grudge... i like the guy and a big fan of the pick at the time. Some picks work out and others don't.

I agree that some picks work out and some picks don't. We will have to see with Virtanen. Though I'm hopeful that he will take quite a huge jump next season in the AHL. This season was really to get him to understand the pro game. And in that regard I think he's progressing. Next season I think will be more about developing his offensive side of the puck. I can see him easily doubling his points production next season. Hockey is also a team game. Jake might not be the type of player that drives the play but finishes it. And even if he can do that at a good rate that's gotta be considered a win. 

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Would you switch Goldie and Jake's sides (put them on their off wings)?

thats what i would do. They are both better on their off wings. I think Goldy might be the creative type winger Jake needs to play with so he can just focus on what hes good at. Using his speed, creating space, getting open for shots. Goldy and Patrick/Hischier can focus on being distributors. I would really worry about the two way play on that line. Even Patrick looks a little lazy sometimes. Goldy is an offensive dynamo and Jake, well lets say he looks a little lost sometimes. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Drewismyname said:

Interesting the have jake with the likely nhl player as opposed to the career ahlers who top the point list.

And hey, hes scoring points.

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Who would've thought Jake would be playing better with better players. He's going to be a good player die the Canucks. It'll just take some the stuff that some parts here don't have much of: patience.

YES. Jake makes excellent passing plays from the right side. He had another very good pass in the first to Cassels and the guy promptly had it roll off his stick. Virtanen as RW needs a LW finisher.

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Love it. The old foppa move. But to be completely honest. I believe zhamnov pulled it out a few years prior. Still a very sneaky good move. 

yeah... I thought it was a Alexei Zhamnov move, too...

3 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Well to everyone's defense, there wasn't really anyone else with Goldobin's ilk or moxy for Jake to play with so ya....career ahl'ers it was. 

Now to get a good center and that could be a good young line to start the year

Goldobin-Patrick?-Virtanen

I'd try Gaunce in the middle of those 2 first.

Patrick is not in the system just yet...

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Would you switch Goldie and Jake's sides (put them on their off wings)?

Depending on who is centering that line.

Jake is more of a shooter on the left, play maker on the right.

Goldobin finishes on either side.

So if the Canucks can give them a C with good vision and can create passing plays, then switch them.(i.e. Henrik, Hischer? Mittelstadt?)

If the Canucks plays a more 2 way center that has some scoring touch to help on the D side of the play, then Goldobin should be on the left as a finisher and Jake on the right to initiate an odd man situation and make the play happen.(ie. Gaunce, Granlund, Patrick? Vilardi?)

AND... I don't think it's smart to play a younger guy between them just yet, those two still have maturity issues to tackle next season.

Only if the Canucks can package Sutter, a Dman, and a pick for a playmaking C... hum...

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Jake with one of his signature "reverse hits" to spring Goldie.

Jake did that a lot in junior, run over a guy to make a play. It's good he is finding his game again!

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree that some picks work out and some picks don't. We will have to see with Virtanen. Though I'm hopeful that he will take quite a huge jump next season in the AHL. This season was really to get him to understand the pro game. And in that regard I think he's progressing. Next season I think will be more about developing his offensive side of the puck. I can see him easily doubling his points production next season. Hockey is also a team game. Jake might not be the type of player that drives the play but finishes it. And even if he can do that at a good rate that's gotta be considered a win. 

Jake has the physical attributes to be a top 6 NHL player. I am sure that had a big part in why Benning drafted him. Was Benning fooled by Virtanen's pre-draft interview? Does Virtanen have character flaws that will prevent his maximizing his potential? Isn't that the essence of developing a player? Combining the physical with the mental approach to the game is what development is all about. To me that is what Benning & Co. did with Jake this past year. They realized his approach to the game had be changed and Green has worked on that through this past season.

Worrying about whether Virtanen was drafted in the top 10 or not is a over weighted game. There are a huge number of players in the NHL who were high drafts and never achieved what many thought was their true potential. In my mind if Virtanen becomes a solid 3rd line, energy guy on a CUP winning team his draft position would have been a huge coup. Winning teams are built on a broader base than ppg.     

• Upvote 2